Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 5

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV I carry everyday, all day. Otherwise, what's the point ? Exactly....

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    I carry everyday, all day. Otherwise, what's the point ?
    Exactly.
    PhaedrusIV and Pete63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Rephrase it a bit. Do mass shootings make you more inclined to actually carry a gun full-time, if at all?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but clearly, not many are carrying at any given time currently.
    I know people like that... ( No one here BTW) When they tell me they carry when they feel it may be necessary.
    I ask them...Do you insure your car only when u feel it may be necessary?...They usually reply with...I don't know when a accident may happen!
    And at that moment the light bulb turns on....Rather it stays on is another thing.
    Sarge45 likes this.

VIP Member
    No. Pretty sure I'm covered. Home, or away, I carry. 4 decades. See my other thread posts if you disagree.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Regardless of what handgun you have or how much ammo you carry, if you have to shoot it out with a guy with a semi-auto rifle and body armor, the odds are not in your favor.
    Exactly. With a handgun you'd have to hit him in the head, which depending how far you are from him, is quite difficult, or in his legs, which won't guarantee the fight is over.
    Additionally, if someone is firing at you you won't be calm and deliberate, as in target shooting at a range. The closest I've come to live fire directed at me was going thru the infiltration course while in Army basic training. As all veterans and active military will confirm, you low crawled while hugging the ground and may have peed in your pants, while a 30mm machine continuously fired rounds about 10 ft. above you. No joke.
    To all the Rambo wannabees: If you're in the middle of a SHTF scenario you cannot predict how you will respond. Confusion will rule.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InVegas View Post
    Exactly. With a handgun you'd have to hit him in the head, which depending how far you are from him, is quite difficult, or in his legs, which won't guarantee the fight is over.
    Additionally, if someone is firing at you you won't be calm and deliberate, as in target shooting at a range. The closest I've come to live fire directed at me was going thru the infiltration course while in Army basic training. As all veterans and active military will confirm, you low crawled while hugging the ground and may have peed in your pants, while a 30mm machine continuously fired rounds about 10 ft. above you. No joke.
    To all the Rambo wannabees: If you're in the middle of a SHTF scenario you cannot predict how you will respond. Confusion will rule.
    A thirty-millimeter machine gun? Let me guess, you did not hold an 11-series MOS.

Arms, legs, pelvis, hands, feet, are all fair game.

True story. Deputy Brandon Moore had been hit four times by an AK before he ever had the chance to return fire with his M&P40. He hit his assailant several times in the body army before bouncing his last round off the ground into his legs at around seventy yards, ending the fight.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I'm always armed (with the exception of working at the hospital where its Verboten). Around home and our very rural community, I usually carry my P365 w/ 12 rd mag and 15 rd backup. If I'm feeling kind of punky from the chemo, I will carry that in the big city as well....I shoot it pretty decently.

Usually, when I go into our big city or on Sunday, with our church's informal security team, I carry one of my Sigs in .357 Sig. The Sutherland Springs church shooter wore body armor. The Ohio shooter last night wore body armor. The .357 Sig MAY not penetrate the body armor, but it should hit hard enough to cause the shooter to momentarily stop, allowing time for more followup shots. I shoot both of those pretty darn well. At least, that's the theory.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Agreed. Sometimes you simply CAN NOT print. My LCP is my answer but there are other weapons for that situation.
    Why can't one print? Are we so paranoid these days? I wear a P226 under a polo shirt, and while on my own property, open carry. One can tell there is a bulge unfer my shirt, but you know what, I give q diddly.
    OD* and Eric357 like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    Why can't one print? Are we so paranoid these days? I wear a P226 under a polo shirt, and while on my own property, open carry. One can tell there is a bulge unfer my shirt, but you know what, I give q diddly.
    Your own property is a lot different than the local DMV (not that I would ever consider carrying in the DMV here in force-of-law Ohio). Besides, my carry status is nobody's business.
    OD* and Eric357 like this.

For many years, as a federal LEO, I dealt with, and trained for the possibility of terrorist attacks. Off duty I carried my duty weapon and one spare mag until Mumbai. Then I added a second mag to my EDC. After retirement I still carry a medium size firearm with two spare mags. Granted that those types on attacks are very rare they still happen. Being prepared for that I think Iím reasonably prepared for ďstreet crimeĒ.
    Just thinking about the tactics of the El Paso and Dayton shooters Iím wondering if they used any of the longer distance capacity of the rifle vs handgun. I donít think so and that puts them within the range of a trained person with a handgun.
    All that said - a good shot with a Jframe or LCP is a lot better than foul language.
    10thmtn, OD*, Eric357 and 1 others like this.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Unless it's life or death related, it's all B.S.!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    I carry everyday, all day. Otherwise, what's the point ?
    I carry some kind of pistol anytime I leave my house. There are buildings I cannot carry inside (hospital, Dr. offices, state and federal buildings, some businesses). Other than that, I carry.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Your own property is a lot different than the local DMV (not that I would ever consider carrying in the DMV here in force-of-law Ohio). Besides, my carry status is nobody's business.
    My property is the same as I carry elsewhere. Please elaborate on the local DMV, (Department of Motor Vehicles). At least in Arkansas,, there is no relation to the DMV.
    OD* likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

I really don't think your understanding the point. Printing while out shopping is not the same as printing where the consequences of discovery are much,much more severe. All I am going to say on that subject.
    10thmtn, OD*, Eric357 and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athappyhiker View Post
    Prayers for the families of those killed and those wounded... was wondering if incidents like this make you reconsider your ccw choice? Many times I carry a J frame 38 spcl snubby in the car and just out around time, but when I go to big box stores or other larger/big group places I carry a CW9 with spare mag as it will give me a bit more distance and power (for summer) and during fall/winter I'll carry a M&P 9c.
    In a word, no. Mass incidents like we've seen are extraordinarily rare. I'm currently carrying a 5 shot .38 snubbie (Taurus 605), with a Crimson Trace laser. The laser (when appropriate) lets me hit out quite a bit further than the usual snubby effective range.

What would make me reconsider would be a local mob action incident. Even then, my primary defence would be continuing to follow the "3 stupids" rule. (Avoid being stupid places, with stupid people, at stupid times. Nothing much good happens at a biker bar in the bad part of town at 3AM. Don't be there.)

I think I'd still be better off with the smaller and lighter guns that may have lower round count but I'm much more likely to carry them vs the big handgun that weighs a lot and gets left home because it's a pain in the rear.
    That, within limits.
    Bassleg likes this.

Ex Member
    My property is the same as I carry elsewhere. Please elaborate on the local DMV, (Department of Motor Vehicles). At least in Arkansas,, there is no relation to the DMV.
    It's a felony-carry zone in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I really don't think your understanding the point. Printing while out shopping is not the same as printing where the consequences of discovery are much,much more severe. All I am going to say on that subject.
    I understand perfectly. I didn't have a career in mechanical design engineering by being stupid. Not concerned about discovery. No one really notices anyway. What are the consequences you talk about?
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links