Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 8

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by John Raba No. If I am with my family my only job is to get them safely out of harms way. If ...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

Quote Originally Posted by John Raba View Post
    No. If I am with my family my only job is to get them safely out of harms way. If I am alone and am close enough to the threat to safely engage then my Ruger ec9s will do the job.
    What if you are close enough and with your family?
    kerberos and Eric357 like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker....
    The shootings didn't influence whether I carry or not, as I carry everywhere I go, except for when I go into the office. And I absolutely WOULD carry there also if my employer would let me.

As to what I carry, no I don't think there is any influence there either. My main reason for carrying is to protect myself, my wife and anyone else around me, and the main type of encounter I'm gearing for is a mass shooting. I figure if I gear for that, everything on a smaller scale than that should be covered.

I did just order a new OD Green P-07, but not because of the shootings, just because I wanted one and it was at a great price.
    "We can't shoot a dog. People? Okay, but not dogs." - Martin Riggs

I've reflected a lot about this over the past few days, thinking about both El Paso and Dayton. Also the other incidents over the past months and years that vary from straight up criminal to terrorism, whether internal or external or whatever. I just read the following interesting article from CNN online. Recommend reading. In it details the people who stood up in one way or another to help. One guy threw bottles at the perp to distract him. Others helped the wounded or evac'ed people out of the way. The most salient take away related to this thread is that two people in the report who normally carry chose not to carry at that time. They were "just going to Walmart. So, my answer to the OP is from now on I'm carrying 24/7 unless i'm entering a place that the government has criminalized for me to enter armed. (Or make the decision not to go there).

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    ^^ "The most salient take away related to this thread is that two people in the report who normally carry chose not to carry at that time. They were "just going to Walmart."

Yep. I saw an interview with a military member (off-duty) who was in the Wal-Mart and said the same. He said that he'd be carrying all the time now.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker....
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrabby View Post
    I've reflected a lot about this over the past few days, thinking about both El Paso and Dayton. Also the other incidents over the past months and years that vary from straight up criminal to terrorism, whether internal or external or whatever. I just read the following interesting article from CNN online. Recommend reading. In it details the people who stood up in one way or another to help. One guy threw bottles at the perp to distract him. Others helped the wounded or evac'ed people out of the way. The most salient take away related to this thread is that two people in the report who normally carry chose not to carry at that time. They were "just going to Walmart. So, my answer to the OP is from now on I'm carrying 24/7 unless i'm entering a place that the government has criminalized for me to enter armed. (Or make the decision not to go there).
    Good to hear you're going to be carrying more often. That's what everyone needs to do.

As for the article, I'll have to take your word for it, none of my devices will go to that website.
    deadguy likes this.
    "We can't shoot a dog. People? Okay, but not dogs." - Martin Riggs

On that particular day, I was carrying my S&W model 60, with .357 Magnum rounds, (not .38 Special). I normally carry 20 rounds total, 5 in the pistol and 15 in speed strips. I normally carry a M&P Shield 9, but I recently added a Apex trigger and had not made time to take to the range and make sure the trigger works efficiently.

My model 60 is my go to pistol. We were on the other side of town, (westside), when it happened. As reports came in, my wife became more and more terrified, but since we were at an eye appointment, we needed to finish. As soon as we done, more reports came in that there were more then one shooters and I made the choice to go all the way around town to get home.

I have carried in the past, a G19/G26 with 3 spare magazine, I have recently started to carry the Shield about a year ago with 3 magazines.

I am debating about going back to my G19/G26 carry.

***When we got home, I checked my M1A/Rem. 700 bag to insure I had sufficient 7.62 rounds***
    Last edited by Axton; August 7th, 2019 at 12:26 PM.
    If you served, thank you for your service.

If you did not serve, you are most very welcome.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Naw!!! While I have quite a few 9mm's (higher capacity pieces), the .45 has my heart! So, although mine are 8+1 pieces, I merely carry 2 extra 8rd mags and I'm good to go. I was actually at the range today putting in that work with 2 of my .45's (HK USP Compact .45 and HK 45c ) because of this foolishness we've seen in the news and to get it ready for my trip this weekend to the states of Texas and Mississippi.

HK USP Compact .45 w/10 rd "Elephant Foot" ext. (right)

HK 45c is my main EDC:
    kerberos, Denverjay and OD* like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

I spent the day in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and before I left home, I debated my carry weapon. I like my SIG M11-A1 and it was my first choice, but when all was said and done, I left the house with my Kimber Tactical Ultra II with two extra mags. When in doubt, I'll carry a 1911 and I almost always carry.

The G26 is usually the gun I have on me, and it can do everything the larger guns can do by simply carrying a G19 or 17 spare mag.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    ^^ "The most salient take away related to this thread is that two people in the report who normally carry chose not to carry at that time. They were "just going to Walmart."

Yep. I saw an interview with a military member (off-duty) who was in the Wal-Mart and said the same. He said that he'd be carrying all the time now.

I'm guilty. There has been more than a few times this year that I have done this.Walmart is 10 minutes down the road and I hate to say it I've become complacent about it. My thought for too long is that our rural town of 6k isn't really that bad. But after talking to the officers the last two weeks our town has become a lot worse than I realized. No more being lazy.
    I like the .40 .

I'm back to carrying my Beretta 92 Compact......Or my Sig 226 9mm ( haven't carried either one in a while. but they both feel like Home to me) and the Kimber Solo as a secondary. 3 mags for the 92 / 226......and 2 mags for the Solo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?-img_0544-1-.jpg  

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?-img_0608-1-.jpg  

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?-img_1119.jpg  

Eric357, msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The G26 is usually the gun I have on me, and it can do everything the larger guns can do by simply carrying a G19 or 17 spare mag.
    +1 on this....let my G26 go for a G43 but really starting to reconsider another G26 for the reasons you stated.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I do better with the shorter sight radius at distance than with the longer slides.
    G-man*, msgt/ret, mhl6493 and 1 others like this.

Nope. I'm perfectly fine with my M&P9c and 24rds of 147HST.

I'll go out on a limb here: If this mutt had taken any incoming he'd have broken off the attack or ,better yet, capped his own butt.
    M1911A1, OD* and kerberos like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I do better with the shorter sight radius at distance than with the longer slides.
    Yep, haven’t figured that one out yet though....
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links