Taurus G2C range report.

Taurus G2C range report.

This is a discussion on Taurus G2C range report. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About seven months ago, I bought my wife a Taurus G2C for a carry gun. We had fired around 600 rounds without a hiccup. Today, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Taurus G2C range report.

Taurus G2C range report.

About seven months ago, I bought my wife a Taurus G2C for a carry gun. We had fired around 600 rounds without a hiccup. Today, we had several failures to eject. This was with several different magazines. The gun was disassembled, cleaned and inspected. I couldn't find anything wrong. But the malfunctions continue. The ammo was a mix of Federal, Winchester and Remington. All brass cases. New ammo. I can't figure the problem out. So back to Taurus it goes. I'll post a followup when I get it back. On the plus side; the trigger was better than any of my striker fired pistols, with the exception of my H&K VP9. Accuracy was good inside of 25 yards. I usually practiced with it inside of fifteen yards, and did well with it. It gobbled up everything from 115 grain FMJ to 135 grain Critical duty, and never had a problem. This gun had great potential. We'll see from here. I don't think the wife is as thrilled as she used to be about it. Maybe once it's corrected.
    drmordo and Coltfan1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Get her a good gun...she is worth it.
    Texas Red and shipwreck like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    About seven months ago, I bought my wife a Taurus G2C for a carry gun. We had fired around 600 rounds without a hiccup. Today, we had several failures to eject. This was with several different magazines. The gun was disassembled, cleaned and inspected. I couldn't find anything wrong. But the malfunctions continue. The ammo was a mix of Federal, Winchester and Remington. All brass cases. New ammo. I can't figure the problem out. So back to Taurus it goes. I'll post a followup when I get it back. On the plus side; the trigger was better than any of my striker fired pistols, with the exception of my H&K VP9. Accuracy was good inside of 25 yards. I usually practiced with it inside of fifteen yards, and did well with it. It gobbled up everything from 115 grain FMJ to 135 grain Critical duty, and never had a problem. This gun had great potential. We'll see from here. I don't think the wife is as thrilled as she used to be about it. Maybe once it's corrected.
    I'm a big fan of the G2C, so will be very curious to hear how this plays out!
    Coltfan1 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    No offense but many folks fail to clean under the ejector.
    hardluk1 likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    I owned a G2C for some time and put at least 1,000 rounds through it. I never had a failure of any kind, but I am a fanatic about a clean gun. I cleaned it after ea h trip to the range. Each trip was about a 150 round exercise so there was adequate exposure to dis over where fowling occurred. That was under the extractor and in the striker channel. If you have any lubricant in those places you can expect residue buildup. I found that out on first firing because Taurus had oil in both areas that I did not notice on initial takedown and light wiping up. After the first 200 rounds to go through the day on first range trip I had a bit of a gooey mess to clean up. Hardly noticeable on general cleaning because I did not expect either the extractor of the striker channel to have been oiled.

I also think the extractor might be weaker than it ought to be and therefore subject. To getting out of tolerance. While I never had a failure I gradually came to conclude that without the range use I put a EDC gun through the G2C was just a bit to quality deficient. But that is not an expert opinion. It is just my opinion with with which G2C users might disagree.
    Last edited by 1942bull; August 6th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
    kerberos and drmordo like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Under the ejector or the extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    ca survivor likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar
    I owned one Taurus semi auto over the years and never bought another one since. It was the older Millennium.40 and it did fine at first, then quickly turned into an unreliable turd. Like another member suggested, get her something more reliable. You can get the M&P Shield or Ruger LCP just a little above the price of your Taurus.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Under the ejector or the extractor?
    Well actually you need to keep an eye on both. In my earlier post I referred to extractor and failed to refer to ejector also. Simple fact is that both can get fowled. Reconsidering the OP’s experience The ejector is the likely culprit but but a fowled extractor can hamper the positioning of the casing for ejection. Let me summarize this way. Clean everything that moves in the receiver. Keep in mind that budget guns can have less tolerances between parts. It does not take but a tiny % of a mm to allow crud to accumulate.
    drmordo likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

I'm pretty anal about cleaning and maintenance. But I thought your suggestions were worth considering. I also failed to mention that I have shot a fair amount of Tul and some old Wolf ammo. There were no problems with it at that time. I carefully inspected the ejector and the extractor, but both were clean and looked okay to my laymen's eye. Going to swab out the chamber thoroughly tomorrow. I did run a couple of mags through it today. It had a weird stovepipe jam with the spent case. I'll stay on it and report back.
    drmordo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    One additional thought.... soak those parts with a heavy dose of bore or action cleaner and let it sit for an hour before cleaning. Somtimes a small particle of gun powder residue can muck up a sliding or pivoting part.
    drmordo likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

Just traded my G2c in toward a new 2.0 Shield but it ran great while I had it. You just don't hear many problems with these pistols. Other than a crappy slide finish that won't hold up with regular use, they tend to run.
    I hope you get it figured out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    I owned one Taurus semi auto over the years and never bought another one since. It was the older Millennium.40 and it did fine at first, then quickly turned into an unreliable turd. Like another member suggested, get her something more reliable. You can get the M&P Shield or Ruger LCP just a little above the price of your Taurus.
    Then again, I have an LCP II that is not reliable yet, after around 600 rounds...so... I'm sure I will get it to run, but any manufacturer can, and does have issues. Now, back to solving the OP's issue.

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holster View Post
    Then again, I have an LCP II that is not reliable yet, after around 600 rounds...so... I'm sure I will get it to run, but any manufacturer can, and does have issues. Now, back to solving the OP's issue.
    True!!! Any manufacturer can have issues, I have had issues with Glocks and S&W myself. However, Taurus products seem to have more frequent issues across most of their lineup.

A long time ago, I owned a Beretta 92S. I loved that pistol. I bought a Taurus 92AF because I thought it might be as good. Not even close. I never had any issues with it. But the trigger was a stiff as a horny teen watching Baywatch. Accuracy was good. But compared to any of the Beretta 92's I've owned, it wasn't even close. I guess quality hasn't changed much. Too bad.

VIP Member
    Check out the spring under the extractor. I had one break on a .22 rifle. It turned the rifle into a single shot rifle.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links