My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP! - Page 2

My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!

This is a discussion on My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ve wanted one for years, but hear about a lot of issues people have with them. My cousin has an LGS that has a used ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!

I’ve wanted one for years, but hear about a lot of issues people have with them. My cousin has an LGS that has a used one for $200, but I always wonder why the original owners sold it. I do have an LC9 PRO that runs like a clock. As of now that’s my most concealable option.

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    Pocket-size pistols are experts' tools.
    The smaller it is, the harder it is to shoot accurately and effectively.
    Is that expertise in identifying targets or marksmanship or recoil tolerance or . . . ? Oh, wait . . .

I can hit the broad side of a barn if it's within range.

I've missed or crippled enough running deer and flying pheasants to have a general idea of the problem.
    Old Man and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Everything is possible for those who take the time to practice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CreedDryrot View Post
    Everything is possible for those who take the time to practice.
    Exactly!
    CreedDryrot likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

The 7 round factory mags turn the LCP into a much more shootable gun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    I’ve wanted one for years, but hear about a lot of issues people have with them. My cousin has an LGS that has a used one for $200, but I always wonder why the original owners sold it. I do have an LC9 PRO that runs like a clock. As of now that’s my most concealable option.
    You can get an LCP new for about $200.

Ruger has excellent service. My trio are 10 years old, and two had some issues along the way. Ruger always made them right, on their dime.

They just sent me new recoil springs and guide rods, which I consider wear parts. No charge. Not even shipping. They wouldn’t take my money.

Buy with confidence.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You can get an LCP new for about $200.

Ruger has excellent service. My trio are 10 years old, and two had some issues along the way. Ruger always made them right, on their dime.

They just sent me new recoil springs and guide rods, which I consider wear parts. No charge. Not even shipping. They wouldn’t take my money.

Buy with confidence.
    That's good to know, @10thmtn . I've been a little concerned about putting lots of rounds (been practicing quite a bit with it) through my LCPII because I've been unsure of the life of those parts.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Not sure if others have these guns, but I have one...this is the gun that gets all of the "$%&# details" of the things that I do regularly. This is the gun that goes along a couple of days a week when I will be the dirtiest and wet with sweat from head to toe for most of the day. Today was one of its days...I got started at 730am and by about 830am until I got home about 100pm this gun was in the pocket of shorts that were literally dripping with sweat. …………………..
    I've had four LCPs and still have two: an LCP II and a custom.

My first one was an early one that went back to Ruger for the modification. It was carried much like yours: subjected to everything possible. One day while field stripping for cleaning I noticed that I did have an issue with the barrel surface rusting that steel wool made short work of removing. After that, I was a little more conscientious about my frequency of field stripping and wiping it down when it had been exposed to moisture.
    Armybrat and 1gunsnowbird like this.

New Member Array LasVegasLights's Avatar
    I have an LCP that is a jamomatic. My brother bought it brand new and could never get through a single magazine without at least one failure to eject. He just gave it to me out of annoyance and bought a Beretta Pico instead (which he has loved). I just haven't had the time to mess with it. But the two times I've taken it to the range it's the same unreliable gun for me.

How do you make these things reliable? My only experience with them has been terrible. What am I missing?

I don'y have much experience with the original LCPs but all the LCP IIs I've used and been around have run like a top. One exception was a friend's pistol that broke a take down pin. Fixed him up with a Tandemkross replacement and its been a keeper since.

I'm sure Ruger would make that LCP you're having trouble with work the way its supposed to. Give 'em a call.

New Member Array LasVegasLights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    I don'y have much experience with the original LCPs but all the LCP IIs I've used and been around have run like a top. One exception was a friend's pistol that broke a take down pin. Fixed him up with a Tandemkross replacement and its been a keeper since.

I'm sure Ruger would make that LCP you're having trouble with work the way its supposed to. Give 'em a call.
    I've read that they require a break-in period of a couple hundred rounds. I honestly don't know how many have gone through this thing, so I'll probably shoot it a bit more and give it a thorough cleaning before I call them. But I'm certainly happy to read the positive stories about Ruger's support. I'd appreciate having a micro pistol like the LCP for certain carry instances. But in its current state it's not even remotely reliable enough to trust my life on.
    Holmes375 likes this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I've never heard that an LCP needs 200+ rounds to break in. Mine has been reliable since day 1. I would send it to Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLights View Post
    I have an LCP that is a jamomatic. My brother bought it brand new and could never get through a single magazine without at least one failure to eject. He just gave it to me out of annoyance and bought a Beretta Pico instead (which he has loved). I just haven't had the time to mess with it. But the two times I've taken it to the range it's the same unreliable gun for me.

How do you make these things reliable? My only experience with them has been terrible. What am I missing?
    For goodness sake, send it back to Ruger. My LCPII has been completely reliable out of the box and through a good bit of use, even though I've only had it for a year. My best friend Charlie has an original LCP and a LCPII and both are spot-on, the original through 8 years of use. Ruger's customer service has a good rep.
    forester58 and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLights View Post
    I've read that they require a break-in period of a couple hundred rounds. I honestly don't know how many have gone through this thing, so I'll probably shoot it a bit more and give it a thorough cleaning before I call them. But I'm certainly happy to read the positive stories about Ruger's support. I'd appreciate having a micro pistol like the LCP for certain carry instances. But in its current state it's not even remotely reliable enough to trust my life on.
    I had to send my LCP Customs slide to Ruger because the front sight fell off and they returned it in 3 days. I seem to remember their semi autos go to Arizona for service so not far from you. My LCP was very reliable right out of the box and I carried it for a solid year before trading it for a Pico which I like much better just because it does not Pinch my trigger finger like the LCP did and its all stainless which helps with rust. Ruger's lower end guns have terrible finishes and need more "looking after" than most. If it were not for that little quirk, which seems to happen to a few of us, I would sill own it
    Wavygravy likes this.

My LCP is my gun for when I can't carry a gun. You could conceal that thing in a speedo
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links