My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP! - Page 3

My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!

This is a discussion on My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Walk Soft Iíve wanted one for years, but hear about a lot of issues people have with them. My cousin has an ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    Iíve wanted one for years, but hear about a lot of issues people have with them. My cousin has an LGS that has a used one for $200, but I always wonder why the original owners sold it. I do have an LC9 PRO that runs like a clock. As of now thatís my most concealable option.
    New for <$200 for a LCP and around that for the newer fancier models. If you are recoil sensitive then its probably not for you. But for concealability and Ruger support you can't beat the LCP. Shoot one and see if its for you.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

We have a few LCP GEN2ís, this one's been my daily pocket carry for a few years.

Itíll eat any ammo you throw at it. 3k+ rounds down range and never a single malfunction.

Last edited by seery; August 21st, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
    1gunsnowbird and 5lima30ret like this.

I've had a LCP for about 3 years and it has been totally reliable,shooting any ammo I've fed it ,including Hornady Critical defense.Do I shoot it as well as my XDS 9mm? No.Does it pinch my finger at times ?Yes. But it is still easily concealed in any clothing ,even cases where I can't wear the XDS.The Hogue grip sleeve has worked wonders for me as far as recoil management, and
    keeping a comfortable,secure grip on the little pistol.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My Summer carry. The Custom LCP.

My 'red-haired step child&quot;...Ruger LCP!-img_20150321_224410282_1566433066354.jpg
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

New Member Array LasVegasLights's Avatar
    I'm going to do a good thorough cleaning tonight and then try to get to the range tomorrow. Let you guys know if it's still acting up.

If it is then I'll call Ruger next week.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    I've been on this road for nearly 15 years, beginning with the original LCP, a Keltec 3AT Ö in fact, I gave the Keltecs two opportunities and gave up on them due to reliability issues. On the other hand, my local FFL dealer has been carrying his Keltec for about 15 years without a hitch. Go figger. He's got a 9-round magazine on it and generally wears it at 3:30 for around the house: good idea, because he's out in the desert in a house filled with guns and cash.

I tried Ruger's first generation LCP and it functioned fine but I had problems adjusting to the trigger; moved on to the second generation and wish I hadn't sold one in stainless steel equipped with the red aluminum trigger installed by Ruger at their Prescott facility. Idiot! But, then again, when they introduced the LCPII, I jumped all over it. After shooting the LCPII next to my little Glocks (26 and 43) and shooting almost identical scores, I deemed it an excellent pistol with an excellent trigger and I bought two more.

Now I have two of them at my home down south and one at the cabin up north (stashed for eight months a year). I had issues with one of them, called Ruger, and had a shipping label within 10 minutes. Shipped it off and got it back within a week, packed with a complimentary silicone cloth for my troubles. I've never looked back and carry any of those three guns with total confidence. In fact, I might be getting a little cocky, but I've been tempted to sell my other guns and rely solely on an LCPII. Haven't made that leap yet because I'm never certain that my circumstances and threat assessment might change for the worse and I'll want a small 9mm for EDC.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

I took it to the range again on Friday and it still sucks. Put another 50 rounds through it and suffered probably 10 malfunctions for my effort.

I guess I'll be calling Ruger on Monday. Any recommendations on how that conversation should go?

I own 3 of these and shoot one often!!

Even my shooting buddy/gunsmith raves about his LCP but I just cannot, cannot get that tiny bit of doubt about small semi-autos out of my head. I wish I could.
    I've heard about and seen them jam.
    I'll stick to my J frame.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
    Even my shooting buddy/gunsmith raves about his LCP but I just cannot, cannot get that tiny bit of doubt about small semi-autos out of my head. I wish I could.
    I've heard about and seen them jam.
    I'll stick to my J frame.
    A man should go with the tool he has confidence in. I like and trust my LCP II but I fully understand your position.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLights View Post
    I took it to the range again on Friday and it still sucks. Put another 50 rounds through it and suffered probably 10 malfunctions for my effort.

I guess I'll be calling Ruger on Monday. Any recommendations on how that conversation should go?
    Did you try swapping mags? I'd be willing to bet that most LCP issues (that are not shooter induced) are magazine related! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    OP - When I had an issue with one of my LCPIIs, I called Ruger customer service and spoke to a woman. She suggested I try other magazines, which I had already done. I gave her my email address and had a shipping label within 10-15 minutes. They fixed it and got it back to me within a week, along with a silicone cloth. Can't recall if I had to send along all my magazines, but be prepared for that. I also told her my preferred CC ammo (at that time Hornady Critical Defense). Should be eazee-peazee.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Did you try swapping mags? I'd be willing to bet that most LCP issues (that are not shooter induced) are magazine related! Just my .02 worth!
    No. I only have one magazine. And I'd really prefer to NOT buy another one if the gun is just going to be a steaming pile of garbage.

I can give it a try though....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links