My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!

This is a discussion on My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if others have these guns, but I have one...this is the gun that gets all of the "$%&# details" of the things that ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

Not sure if others have these guns, but I have one...this is the gun that gets all of the "$%&# details" of the things that I do regularly. This is the gun that goes along a couple of days a week when I will be the dirtiest and wet with sweat from head to toe for most of the day. Today was one of its days...I got started at 730am and by about 830am until I got home about 100pm this gun was in the pocket of shorts that were literally dripping with sweat. It has been relegated to this duty after I carried it for years in better conditions...it is the cheapest gun that I have confidence in to carry...so, I feel better about treating a cheap gun badly. However, it may be cheap, but it is absolutely reliable...at least it has been in the 1000 or so rounds that I have fired it...never a bobble. Honestly, this gun is seldom cleaned or even wiped off. I do shoot it, like I did today after getting home. I went out back and ran one mag through it...loaded the mag again, placed it back in the gun and the gun went back in the holster. I do break it down, blow it out and slick up the rails about every 6 months. It never complains, is always ready to go...so, it seems our system must be working.

In spite of my confidence in the little gun...I am not sure that I have ever recommended one of these to anyone...there are too many guns that are far easier to shoot and they cost only slightly more . And, I will say that this was the hardest gun for me to get my grip worked out on, that I have ever owned. And, it was not until I put the grip sleeve on it that I could consistently shoot it accurately. Once that was done...I have been sold on it...but I think it is a gun best left to those with some experience...kind of the same way I feel about snub revolvers.
    My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!-67720286_2300788566853184_6077123263480201216_n.jpg
    My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!-67872807_435473027042166_480347325613473792_n.jpg
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    ...there are too many guns that are far easier to shoot...this was the hardest gun for me to get my grip worked out on...I think it is a gun best left to those with some experience...[emphasis added]
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    Pocket-size pistols are experts' tools.
    The smaller it is, the harder it is to shoot accurately and effectively.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

That Hogue grip sleeve was a blessing for me and my LCP II as well. I'm finally shooting the little hopper pretty good now.
    Shootnlead and 5lima30ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    Pocket-size pistols are experts' tools.
    The smaller it is, the harder it is to shoot accurately and effectively.
    I have shot a lot of handguns in my life...but this gun has the thinnest grip of any gun that I had ever shot...the sleeve gave it enough width to help me get that consistent grip.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I didn't have enough experience with handguns to realize that they were supposed to work perfectly right out of the box. I added the Hogue grip and a stainless rod and heavier spring right away and the shells would get stuck part way out of the magazine. I went back to the standard spring and worked with the gun until it became really reliable. Mine cost me a little over $300 but you can get them now for a lot less than that and with all of the improvements that I made all built in. Mine is called a gen 2 LCP but the newer ones are called LCP 2. I extended a magazine and it allows me to get all three fingers on the grip plus an extra cartridge in the magazine. I can get on target fast with the Viridian green laser that I added. The LCP works for me.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

I can't say enough good about the Hogue pin on grip sleeve. It makes the LCP MUCH more shootable! I could never get a good grip on the tiny stock LCP until I put the Hogue pin on grip sleeve!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I've owned several LCPs since they were fist introduced. The one I carry every day (even when I carry something larger) has been to hell and back, literally! The LCP pictured below was one that barely survived a house-fire and was refinished by me, which included cerakoting and a grip texture job.

For those who take the time to learn how to shoot the little LCP, they can be rewarded with some amazing groups. Yes, the LCP can be a great shooter in the right hands, even with the thin grips and the tiny sites.

Before he passed, Todd Green from Pistol-Training.com used to show his students that his LCP could hit a steel plate at 75-yards with regularity.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

I carried an LCP Custom for over a year and loved everything about it except that it pinched my trigger finger badly on every shot to the point I would wear a Band-Aid for practice. I also added the 13lb recoil spring and Hogue Handall which were big improvements. I sold it and got a Beretta Pico which I like even better than I liked my LCP but, (and its a big but) its not a gun for those that cannot realign their preconceived notions about handguns. I think its a brilliantly designed firearm for its intended purpose and all the hate I see is usually by those that want it to be just like their larger handguns, its not, and I am glad of it.
    Shootnlead likes this.

It is often the LAST gun I choose to carry, but it has been carried countless times.
    At the beach in board shorts and a t-shirt. the LCP was there...and many other times where I really didn't have the space or time for a weapon...the LCP was there. Would I want to get in a gun fight with that pistol? Absolutely not, but I would rather have it than the full size shooting iron I left in the car/house. It shoots well enough and I 100% agree about it's reliability.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

I love my little LCPII. I use the flat base plate for best conceal, took off the grip sleeve I'd added, just learned how to shoot it thin grip and all. I can drive tacks with it up to 10 yds.

Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I bought this LCP before I retired....it was really the only gun that I could carry in my job and keep concealed. I worked in a job that carry was not tolerated...but I did not like being disarmed as I was out in rural areas on a daily basis, by myself and this was unacceptable to me. Earlier in my carrier, the attitude about guns was different...the last 5 years I worked...it went steadily downhill. The LCP was a last ditch...and it served that purpose, well. I was challenged with it for the first little while I had it...put the grip sleeve on it and my problems with consistency were solved...I can put them where I want them at appropriate ranges for this gun/cartridge. I don't have the constraints of an employer, now, in my business...I carry it some days as it will work better for me than a larger gun does. It is a "stop gap" measure, but a serviceable one.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; August 8th, 2019 at 09:35 PM.

I have been carrying this one around since it was new in 2008. It is bone stock. Cleaned it up some today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!-b96f4f37-369d-424b-8a7f-cdb4c691e380.jpeg  

My 'red-haired step child"...Ruger LCP!-237d77fb-c431-4925-9e20-8d5649314e3c.jpeg  

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Distinguished Member
    My LCP also has the Hogue grip sleeve which seriously enhances its shootability for me. It’s my I CANNOT PRINT carry weapon. It’s reliability is 100%.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I have an original design post recall lcp manuf 2011.
    It has worked every time very reliable. Also put a laserlyte side pin mount laser. That laser is discontinued.
    Trade in value or resale value is very low, so I kept it.
    I bought a stainless lcp with the enhanced trigger but it had a manufacturing flaw and was replaced. The replacement was not much better but it did work
    So sold that and bought a SIG P238 in 3017.

The lcp is very good pocket pistol.

But QA QC varies. Apparently the first one mentioned is in the sweet spot of tolerance stacking. The now discontinued stainless not so.

Also, the p238 has had no failures too.

I got my LCP when they first came out. It has never failed my me. It is snappy and not the most pleasant weapon to shoot , but it shoots well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links