SIG P226 vs P229

SIG P226 vs P229

This is a discussion on SIG P226 vs P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I already have a P226 Stainless Elite in .40 S&W and I am considering a P229 Stainless Elite that is also in .40 S&W. The ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SIG P226 vs P229

Question SIG P226 vs P229

I already have a P226 Stainless Elite in .40 S&W and I am considering a P229 Stainless Elite that is also in .40 S&W. The barrel and grip is shorter and it seems that the slide and frame are thicker on the P229 over the P226. This P229 kind of reminds me of Berettas model 92 compact which is just slightly smaller than a full size 92 so its hard to consider it being a compact pistol. Is there any major advantages to having this P229 when I already have the P226?

Unless you are looking for a slightly smaller gun to carry, I donít think so. Both are great guns though.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member
    Went through the same thoughts and decided there isnít. It really isnít enough smaller to matter IMHO.
    Melvin likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I think the advantage would be that you would then have two premium Sig handguns that where produced in lesser numbers and will likely be collectible. Now is probably a sweet spot for buying those as they are still available for decent pricing but likely to become sought after in the future.

I would like one in 9mm myself to send to The Sig Armorer for action work.
    G26Raven likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Unless you are looking for a slightly smaller gun to carry, I donít think so. Both are great guns though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Went through the same thoughts and decided there isnít. It really isnít enough smaller to matter IMHO.
    As I think about it I am beginning to agree with both of you. I guess if I can get a great deal on it I might get the P229 but otherwise I may go ahead and pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I think the advantage would be that you would then have two premium Sig handguns that where produced in lesser numbers and will likely be collectible. Now is probably a sweet spot for buying those as they are still available for decent pricing but likely to become sought after in the future.

I would like one in 9mm myself to send to The Sig Armorer for action work.
    Yes the collectible aspect can be a consideration as well. I will have to think about that.
    MMinSC likes this.

I have had both. Even though the size difference isnít much, I found the 229 better for carry. For me the difference cam when sitting or driving. I shot them both the same level of accuracy.
    But I do still carry a full size 220 from time to time. So big guns donít bother me that much.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Yes the collectible aspect can be a consideration as well. I will have to think about that.
    I think it is a case of right now being the easiest and least expensive time to acquire one.

Some people do not like to sink money into guns that they do not really need and I can understand that. These are not inexpensive either. If you are not one that wishes to grow their gun collection, you could still buy it and see which one you like best. The least favorite could be sold now or just tucked away to sell at some later date.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I have two P229s, a Legion and an M11-A1, and they are great pistols. I sent my M11-A1 to Sig to have them do an "action enhancement." Nice results.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I think it is a case of right now being the easiest and least expensive time to acquire one.

Some people do not like to sink money into guns that they do not really need and I can understand that. These are not inexpensive either. If you are not one that wishes to grow their gun collection, you could still buy it and see which one you like best. The least favorite could be sold now or just tucked away to sell at some later date.
    Yes that's true. SIG pistols can be great investment pieces. If I decided I did not want the P229 I could at the very least get the money back that put in to buy it. With it being a stainless elite and having a reasonable price on it at the moment I would not be over paying to get it. I am pretty sure I could make extra money if I hold on to it and sell it sometime in the future assuming that I end up wanting to sell it. Reminds me of the new in box Norinco MAK-90 that I purchased for $180 back in 1993 just before imports from Norinco got banned. I never fired it over the time I had it and just sold it last year for $1200!
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I have two P229s, a Legion and an M11-A1, and they are great pistols. I sent my M11-A1 to Sig to have them do an "action enhancement." Nice results.
    Nice. The M11-A1 is another one that I have considered getting.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    I have a Glock 32 in Canada (Confusing) it has not been fired. The slide is just stamped .357! Glock not wanting to put SIG on their slide I guess. A buddy of mine is going to end up with it, the paperwork to get it to Orlando, horrendous. Plus I only have 9mm's and a couple of .380s. Plus a 22 magnum from KelTec.
    30 rounds of .22Mag. I think a magazine of that could cause a bit of an upset!

Orlando Police have Sig 226s, had them for years. They still seem happy?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    With the magazines in place, these two weapons are about the same height. The P229 frame is notably thicker, in the decocker area, enough to annoy me. I actually bought P229 pistols, because they were authorized duty weapons, at the time. (The P226 was added to the list, later.) As I see it, the P229 is a full-sized duty pistol, with what was, in its time, a relatively slightly shorter barrel and slide, NOT a compact pistol.

Next to my 1911's, my M11-A1 is my favorite pistol. My 226 is a good gun as is my 220, but M11-A1 has my vote.
    G26Raven likes this.

I have both a p226 Legion and p229 Legion in 9mm, and I went through the same thought process before I picked up the p229. I can tell you that for me, there is enough difference to make a difference, if you plan to carry the gun. Iím glad I got both.
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links