S&W revolvers - anyone compared the 642 to the Bodyguard 38?

This is a discussion on S&W revolvers - anyone compared the 642 to the Bodyguard 38? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about my wife's home defense and occasional carry gun, currently an LCPII that I lent to her. She rarely shoots the gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: S&W revolvers - anyone compared the 642 to the Bodyguard 38?

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar

I've been thinking about my wife's home defense and occasional carry gun, currently an LCPII that I lent to her. She rarely shoots the gun, so I'm somewhat concerned about her grip interfering with the slide … consequently her hand gets sliced or (worst case), the gun jams due to the impediment of her hand.

Which leads me to revolvers. At one point a few years back we both had S&W 642s, but I got bored and I liked the idea of easier reloads and picked up a couple of LCPIIs. Now, as little as she hits the range, I'm thinking five rounds of .38 Special trumps 7-8 rounds of .380, especially if it jams.

Having owned a 642 (and a 442 at one time), I have some confidence in that gun and that manufacturer. I visited the S&W website and saw a new-to-me 5-shot revolver, the Bodyguard 38. It's about $50 less than the 642 and I'm wondering why it's that much cheaper and if it's been out long enough to have a reputation established. Any experiences with either gun would be appreciated.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

I have not heard all that great about the BG ..Esp the grip not being all that comffy to deal with just kind of to me the read headed steaph child of the line https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...bodyguard-380/ sums it up for me . I am not sure if they have updated the line but from all I have seen it was make a cheep wheel gun that is it

Just buy this and be happy imop https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes....html?___SID=U ... Really a heck of a deal the trigger is amazing and the grips do work even if you want to use a holster they work pretty darn well with a pocket holster ..Plus it does in a way help with grip

They are number of new no lock 642 custom guns out so if that does not do it for you ....
    flh and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    442/642 is a much more tested design.
    flh and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If it has to be a revolver, and it's primarily home defense, get her a bigger 6-shot .38. An ex-cop Smith model 10 or 64 comes immediately to mind. Snubbies are much harder to shoot well, and .38 out of a snubbie is pretty anemic (much better out of a 4" barrel)

Also, if she can handle the recoil of a .38 snubbie, she can likely handle the recoil of a 9mm subcompact. That opens up a whole other world of possibilities.
    flh, 1gunsnowbird and Texas Red like this.

flh
    I've never shot the bg, but I've carried the 642 off and on for many years , I've always returned to the 642 ,

As BBMW said a S&W-10 makes a great home defense gun ...
    1gunsnowbird and Texas Red like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    A range friend bought the Bodyguard revolver and I've shot it a couple of times. I carry a 442. After shooting the Bodyguard, I wouldn't trade my 442 for it for the world. I imagine I'd feel the same way about a 642 too. Now if the Bodyguard went back to being what it used to be...
    Haywood and 1gunsnowbird like this.

If it is just for home defense and not meant to be carried why not opt for a full size 6 shot K frame with a far superior trigger to a J frame?

Snubbies are hard to master and something bigger not necessarily more powerful would be much easier for a non gun enthusiast like the OP's wife to shoot.
    1gunsnowbird and BamaT like this.

Senior Moderator
    I handled the new "plastic" S&W Bodyguard at a recent gun show. Awful, awful trigger and about the only things in common with the classic steel Bodyguard (like the 638) are caliber and capacity. I have zero interest in that gun.

I heartily second the notion of a 2-inch Model 10 or its stainless brother, the M64. I have one of each and the slightly larger grip frame really makes shooting the gun easier (and more relaxing) to shoot than the J-frames in defensive calibers.
    1gunsnowbird, BamaT and wmhawth like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks to you all.

Although the gun might not be carried that much, weight is definitely a factor … more than accuracy or trigger. The only time I seeing her actually using the gun to defend herself (not going to the rescue of patrons in a Walmart … or was that KMart :-)) is in her bedroom, ranges of less than 10 feet. She will never become a trigger snob. I'm thinking she just needs something to point and shoot. In some ways it's more of a reassuring factor for her, that she at least has something more than harsh language as a defense.

Sounds like the 642 or 2-inch Model 10 might be an alternative compared to the LCP. I'll do more research on the Model 10; I know a little bit about Smiths, having killed about 6-7 whitetail deer with a 4-inch 629. I actually owned a 29 at one time … and an Anaconda in 6 inch. I also had a PD340(?) that caused a friend's hand to bleed when he pulled the trigger on a full-bore .357 load. Wish I had held them darn guns for awhile, but (sigh) lots of things have come and gone in my life.

Your experience is valuable to me and I won't save $50 on an untested revolver for her protection. Again, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Thanks to you all.

Although the gun might not be carried that much, weight is definitely a factor … more than accuracy or trigger. The only time I seeing her actually using the gun to defend herself (not going to the rescue of patrons in a Walmart … or was that KMart :-)) is in her bedroom, ranges of less than 10 feet. She will never become a trigger snob. I'm thinking she just needs something to point and shoot. In some ways it's more of a reassuring factor for her, that she at least has something more than harsh language as a defense.

Sounds like the 642 or 2-inch Model 10 might be an alternative compared to the LCP. I'll do more research on the Model 10; I know a little bit about Smiths, having killed about 6-7 whitetail deer with a 4-inch 629. I actually owned a 29 at one time … and an Anaconda in 6 inch. I also had a PD340(?) that caused a friend's hand to bleed when he pulled the trigger on a full-bore .357 load. Wish I had held them darn guns for awhile, but (sigh) lots of things have come and gone in my life.

Your experience is valuable to me and I won't save $50 on an untested revolver for her protection. Again, much appreciated.

2inch s&W 10s are a but more rare and pricy compare to say a 4inch ..S&W models are imop the gold classic for wheel guns ..Some one ask what wheel gun to get my first pic is a model 10 ..Having shoot both 10s and J frames ...Model 10 all the way J frame just kicks too much to be more then a belly gun unless your good with it or use very light loads .

Model 10 are basic fixed sights etc point and fire ..Thousands of holsters and grips and such ..At one point you could get boxs of speedloaders for nothing for nothing ex police

Really I would find a good older pre lock 4inch model 10HB and call it good ....
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I second, third and forth approve the suggestion of a model 10 - an older one with a 4" barrel. They are NOT that heavy, but enough heavier than the j frames that they absorb a lot more recoil - and the 4" barrel is SO MUCH easier to aim and get follow up shots.

Yes, I have one. I also had a S&W Model 60 snubbie in .357, and a Ruger LCR. Gramps now has my Model 60 and the LCR is long gone. The Model 10 is going to my best friend when I die but most probably not before.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

DG
    Here's my take, for what it's worth. I carry a Smith & Wesson 360 PD .357 Magnum. It's so light that concealed carry isn't a problem. Less than 12 ounces fully loaded. It's not a target pistol. Pull the trigger and it will feel like your gun blew up in your hand. But in a life and death situation, hopefully you'll only have to pull the trigger once.

Thanks DG, but I've been down that road and NO WAY will I ask my wife to pull the trigger on such a load with such a gun. I'll check into the Model 10 some more. It sounds promising and I like the concept quite a bit.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I have handled and dry fired a Bodyguard 38. I thought it was awful. It's like a cheap knock off of a Smith and Wesson. If I were trying to save money, I would go for a Charter or a Taurus before that. If I were going for a revolver, I would choose an LCR. Best out of the box trigger I have experienced on a snubby. You can also get it in a six shot, .327 Federal Magnum, which is a pretty good load with less recoil than a .357.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Thanks DG, but I've been down that road and NO WAY will I ask my wife to pull the trigger on such a load with such a gun. I'll check into the Model 10 some more. It sounds promising and I like the concept quite a bit.
    You're choice. Just offering my opinion.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links