3 guns for all occasions?

This is a discussion on 3 guns for all occasions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's been a lot of buying and selling in my life these last 10-15 years but I think I'm arriving at the best combination of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: 3 guns for all occasions?

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar

There's been a lot of buying and selling in my life these last 10-15 years but I think I'm arriving at the best combination of handguns that I can shoot well and carry with confidence. We'll see.

First is the Glock 26.5. I see this as my home defense weapon with an attached Streamlight TLR-6 and a 17-round magazine. I plan on getting an OWB holster to CC it with the light attached for early morning and night time walks in a planned neighborhood most folks would consider safe, with new homes and a fairly regular police presence. Holster suggestions welcome here. Normally I don't like to mess with belt loops but I can make an exception here if the gun rides fairly high and tight. If a heightened sense of threat enters the picture, I can AIWB this gun in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment, a combination I used for years up until about 3-4 years ago. I even tucked a few shirts when required, but my belly made it a bit uncomfortable. Since I've lost a few pounds after retirement, perhaps that wouldn't be as much of a factor if required.

Second is the Sig Sauer P365. I've shot two of these guns after matches and really felt they handled well and were very accurate. Liked it so much I bought one before my annual migration north and I'll pick it up in a month when I return to the southland. Assuming it proves reliable, it will become my EDC, either worn at 3:30 in a kydex IWB holster or AIWB in a holster yet to be determined. This will be the gun I keep between the driver's seat and center console on my car (for comfort's sake; I don't like wearing a seat belt and driving with a gun digging into my ribs or belly/thigh). It goes on before I exit the vehicle and gets tucked away upon my return.

In a pinch, on the rare occasion that I have to tuck in my shirt, I can use a Smart Carry. I may or may not carry a spare 12 or 15 round magazine. Coming from a Glock 43, just having the extra 4 rounds seems like comfort enough.

Third is the Ruger LCPII. I've got two of these little guys down south and one I leave up north to use in the summer. The spare one down south is on loan to my wife (permanent loan?). I love the way these guns handle and have often shot BUG matches side-by-side against my Glocks and score very close at the end of the day. The LCP is my option for pocket carry --- sitting out back, playing with the grandsons (empty chamber), or for social events when it might become awkward to get 'busted' with a larger gun.

Loads for the 9mms will be Federal HSTs, either 147 grain standard pressure or 124 standards. Loads for the LCP are Fiocchi Extrema with the 90 grain Hornady XTP bullets.

At this point I don't see a need for a tactical rifle or shotgun, although that could change depending on circumstances near my home down south or the cabin up north (which is a basic fishing cabin inherited from my parents, originally bought by my grandfather in 1943). So far, at both locations, my threat assessment is just about zero, so why have a bunch of artillery cluttering the places?

I'll be shooting all three of my CC pistols in IDPA and BUG matches on a regular basis and doing some occasional range work, so I'll be relatively proficient with any of them. I qualified Expert with a .45 in MP school while serving in Uncle Sam's army in 70-71, so I've always felt pretty solid about pistols, even to the point of hunting (and killing) numerous whitetail deer with a S&W 629 back in the day. I fully understand the difference between killing a deer and engaging in a gunfight with a human being, but I would hope to prevail if I can find cover and focus on what needs to be done. But, that's a challenge I hope to never answer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

We all see "threat assessment" in different ways so I would not argue with what works for you because I am not you. For me if the topic is what guns do I feel I really need it would be a center fire rifle, my 12 gauge pump shotgun and my 1911 45. I could go through life with those three and feel pretty well rounded for what I may need a firearm for whether for food or for defense.
    I have more than that though and like you I find a niche for a pocket 380 as an alternate primary or BUG, in my case I like the Beretta Pico for that role. I do also utilize a 642 which has unique properties not replicated in any other firearm for me. Winter jacket pocket gun or "floating gun" without need of holster. Not many guns fit those duties in my view. I also open carry a large revolver in the field because I live and work around Grizzly bear which again is not a common need for most people but, if I wanted to carry it my 12 gauge would be better. I did own a fine HK 9mm but, found I did not carry it much at all anymore but, I felt having a 9 made sense just for availability of affordable ammo. Mine is at the bottom of some lake I forgot the name of along with a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

Seeing as how we are about the same age - I was in the Army in '71-72 - and because this is always an interesting topic, I'll throw in my $.02 (which is about what it is worth, too). For years I have said that if I could only own one gun it would be a high capacity 9mm like a Beretta 92 or a SIG 226. If only one gun, I'd stay with that opinion, but now my choice would be my SIG M11-A1. But, three guns? That is a different perspective. I carry a 1911 on a daily basis so gun #1 would be a 1911 - probably my 4" Springfield Champion. Gun #2 would be my 3" Kimber 1911. There are very few situations where I can't carry and conceal this pistol. I considered a S&W 442 or my Colt Mustang as gun #2, but my Tactical Ultra II Kimber gets carried much more often than my smaller guns. Gun #3 has to be my SIG M11-A1. Lightweight, compact, hi-capacity, decent, if not a good defensive bullet, and a great shooter. I'd hate to give up my single action "hiking/backpacking" revolver, but the three I chose would suffice in almost any situation. Thanks for the post. This was both fun and interesting to think about.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The problem I have with threat and risk assessments they use historical data to predict future events. The world we live in is rapidly changing and we cannot base our matrix off of 1960's US life. Most people tend to use their own moral standards when assessing risk. When working LE I always got excited to be dumped into a S&%$ storm, but never surprised. We live among some VERY evil people. Just look at what people say when their next door neighbor gets outed as a sadistic serial killer.

I understand that my chances of getting into a gunfight are slim to none, but I carry a fullsize Glock most of the time. If my personal risk assessment is higher, I add another pistol or maybe an AR too. IF I get into a fight I want to be able to quickly turn the tables and dominate the fight ending it as fast as it started.

In the end carry what you want but master it.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

My three essential guns would be a rifle in .308, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a government model 1911.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

One thing Iíll add is whether you have one or three or ten. Broaden your horizons as the fight may not be fought with your equipment but what you pick up along the way. One should be able to in my opinion run each common weapon type proficiently. As for three if I could only have three Iíd want a couple long guns I can make do with a P229 or G19 as all the time handgun no real need for a pocket gun for me other then as a backup. So for me one of those pistols, my 870 marine magnum, and a rifle now thatís a hard decision for me but if I can only have one itíll be a 308 and common so ar10 or M1A.

I'll play along with the 3 handguns for all occasions later, but won't leave out my 12 gauge pump. That makes it 3 choices and 1 essential for me, I guess.
    1gunsnowbird and Old Man like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

My 3 guns would be 12ga pump, toss up between M&P 45 and the 1911, and the M1A plus I would sneak in my 22lr bolt action. I know that's 4 but one may get lost in the lake or maybe a fire.
    1gunsnowbird and Pete63 like this.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    Thanks people; all good choices. I guess I kinda wore out the 1911 fascination by wearing one on a web belt for the better part of 15-16 months. If I still trusted my knees, I'd keep a hunting rifle or shotgun and consider it double duty. Good stuff here.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Rem 870
    Sako 270

That will get any job done and put meat on the table any time of year.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

VIP Member
    No, I don't have or want three guns for all occasions. "ALL" is a pretty comprehensive list of possible "occasions". What I use for CC is not what I use for HD, and vice versa.

As for the P365 tucked between the seat and the console, I think that is a bad idea. Greg Ellifritz states the case much more articulately than I can.

Besides the risk of theft, the car holster is a tactical nightmare. Have you thought about where your ďcar gunĒ will end up after a collision? Is your car holster set up to retain the weapon after a vehicular crash?

You do realize that criminals occasionally initiate car jackings by deliberately crashing into the car they want to steal? When you stop to exchange insurance information, they steal your ride and likely your ďcar gunĒ because itís sliding around loose on the floorboards or under the seat where you canít draw it quickly.

Even without the criminal context, if you get in a bad crash do you want an unsecured firearm on the floor or seat? When the medics are trying to pull your unconscious body out of the driverís seat, do you want them to accidentally discharge a round from your unsecured pistol?
    https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...dig-the-rig-21
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    For about 20 years, my only guns were a PPK/S and a 5" 1911. I've been on a buying spree the last few years.

Today if I whittled it down to three, it would be my 4" S&W Model 29, Browning Hi Power, and then it's a toss up between my LCR327 and one of my S&W snubbies. I have a few, and all are pretty great.

That said, I'd be ok with a similar line-up using different guns - 1x large frame magnum revolver, 1x preferably SAO full size semi, and 1x snubbie. It could just as easily be my 3.5" M27, 4" Para Expert Commander 1911, and, again, any of my J frame snubbies.
    Risasi and 1gunsnowbird like this.

OK. Handguns --
    1. S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum
    2. S&W Shield 9 2.0 (maybe to be replaced by a Sig P365)
    3. Ruger LCPII .380

AND my Mossberg 12 gauge pump.
    5lima30ret and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

🤔 Hmmm---- , if I had to choose only 3 guns, that I own right now, I guess it would be:

#1- Ruger sp101 3" 357 magnum
    #2- Smith and Wesson 442 Pro
    #3- CZ 75 compact 9mm.

Or

#1- Ruger sp101 2.25" 357 magnum
    #2- Kimber K6S 2" 357 magnum
    #3- Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm.

Or

#1- Ruger Gp100 44 special
    #2- Smith and Wesson 640 Pro 357 magnum
    #3- Heckler and koch P2000 9mm.

I don't know, but it would be 2 revolvers and 1 semiautomatic, I'm just not sure which ones, I friggin love em all. 🙂
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Three handguns and not a quality .22 in sight?
    Pete63, Old Man, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links