Hammer vs striker, what’s your preference and why?

This is a discussion on Hammer vs striker, what’s your preference and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I’ve wondered what reasons people like one over the other. Da/sa hammer appeals to me because of the extra security. I like appendix carry ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Hammer vs striker, what’s your preference and why?

New Member Array Firearmjunky22's Avatar

Recently I’ve wondered what reasons people like one over the other. Da/sa hammer appeals to me because of the extra security. I like appendix carry and it’s a piece of mind thing, although I don’t have a da/sa gun currently, I may splurge for one. Just curious what you guys like more and why?

Mostly striker.
    Last edited by Rooster; September 3rd, 2019 at 09:39 PM.

Either.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If I had to choose, I'd opt for a DA/SA hammer, but having said that, I carry that or a striker action at any time. I really don't have any issue with either and don't understand having problem with either. So that DA trigger pull is heavier. Go shoot it and learn it. It's not good or bad, it's just different.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Either, I've never understood the fuss about striker fired.
    OldChap, OD* and Pete63 like this.

The best triggers by far are single-action hammer-fired like on 1911s and revolvers.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Doghandler and Rockymonster like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

I really don't care either but prefer striker for conceal carry. I do have some DAO revolvers I carry from time to time.
    pskys2 likes this.

I prefer hammer and I carry them all the same way - one in the chamber and decocked. I don't mind the long trigger pull.
    Of course that eliminates some options but it's what I prefer.
    MisterCrabby likes this.

I carry 1911s, almost all the striker fired I have seen are plastic. Plastic is for leftovers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    individuals have preferences those preferences may be based on experience be it good, bad or indifferent. The striker fired pistols dominate the market place. I did not acquire a Glock until Gen3 and the Gen1 just before the Gen2 of the S&W MP series pistols. The first handgun I fired was a 1911A1 at Parris Island in 1964. It is and was not left-handed friendly thus I was told later on to adapt, improvise and over come thus use your right hand. My only gun fighting experience was with the 1911A1 thus I learned what generations had learned before me the rifle is primary and the pistol is a supplement.

With that said I was primarily a revolver shooter after the military service concluded. Slowly returned to semiautomatic pistols with the S&W DA/SA pistols. then got into the Bullseye shooting, thus transitioned back into the 1911 pistols much modified for precession shooting. Eventually with the advent of the amberdictrous safety carried the 1911 series for self defense.

With all that said my EDC concealed weapon is S&W Shield 9X19mm. Yes I still have examples of the 1911 series pistol but not as a EDC.

Both
    Pete63 and Bikenut like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearmjunky22 View Post
    Hammer vs striker, whatís your preference and why?
    Recently Iíve wondered what reasons people like one over the other. Da/sa hammer appeals to me because of the extra security. I like appendix carry and itís a piece of mind thing, although I donít have a da/sa gun currently, I may splurge for one. Just curious what you guys like more and why?
    No preference.

"Hammer vs. striker" is too simplistic.

Recently Iíve wondered what reasons people like one over the other.
    An internet gun social media obsession.

Folks, some of them, seem to think "hammer fired" means DA/SA. It doesn't.

Folks, some of them, seem to think "striker fired" means "consistent" and "safety-less". Usually, but not by necessity, and there are many exceptions.

I prefer DA revolvers for self-defense, so obviously hammer fired. I like them because I have been shooting them since I was 12 and I have always shot them very well. I feel they are reliable and safe. They have a comfortable feel for me.

I have competed with a 1911, I own one and I shoot that platform very well, but I don't carry it. I also have a Bodyguard .380 for deep concealment. It is DAO hammer fired.

I've shot a fair number of strikers and they are fine. Some of them I liked a lot. But they are not my cuppa tea, not what I'm used to. I'd rather spend my training time getting better at what I'm already good with.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Donít care as long as the trigger pull is the same for each shot.
    M1911A1 and bmcgilvray like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links