Best gun for a dirty job

Best gun for a dirty job

This is a discussion on Best gun for a dirty job within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work as an Ag mechanic. My job is dirty and I get sweaty. Been carrying mi Kimber micro 9 for about a year. But.... ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Best gun for a dirty job

Best gun for a dirty job

I work as an Ag mechanic. My job is dirty and I get sweaty. Been carrying mi Kimber micro 9 for about a year.
    But....
    I about 6 months ago somehow a piece of debris got lodged down by the hammer. I didn’t realize it and pulled it out to dispatch a varmint. Pulled the pistol out of the holster and click. Now the debris was of the same variety that I was in that day so I know I didn’t carry it that way long. And I usually wipe it off daily.
    Then today during my daily inspection I went to remove the magazine and the mag release button was stuck. Dirt or some sort of build up was all around it.

So needless to say I don’t think the Micro 9 is cut out for my EDC.

So what say you guys revolver or striker fired pistol for a dirty job.
    bmcgilvray and ETXhiker like this.

hate to say this but Glock, to be inline with your Micro look at the G43 and G 43X
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

The gun doesn't matter here. I'm thinking you need something like this:

Name:  1116530-2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  86.2 KB

That one is for a Luger, but any number of custom holster makers can make you one easily for your gun.

BTW welcome to DC from the Texas Gulf Coast.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Yep, hard to beat a Glock in a cruddy enviro, they tend to function even when very dirty.
    OldChap likes this.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    HK's man, HK's! But, a Glock will do too!
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

An old Glock m22 is my tractor gun. I do not mind if it gets scratched up or falls off and lands in the mud. I do not like it at all and do not care what it looks like. But it will go bang when you hose it off.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
    I work as an Ag mechanic. My job is dirty and I get sweaty. Been carrying mi Kimber micro 9 for about a year.
    But....
    I about 6 months ago somehow a piece of debris got lodged down by the hammer. I didnít realize it and pulled it out to dispatch a varmint. Pulled the pistol out of the holster and click. Now the debris was of the same variety that I was in that day so I know I didnít carry it that way long. And I usually wipe it off daily.
    Then today during my daily inspection I went to remove the magazine and the mag release button was stuck. Dirt or some sort of build up was all around it.

So needless to say I donít think the Micro 9 is cut out for my EDC.

So what say you guys revolver or striker fired pistol for a dirty job.
    Dirty? No, not a revolver. Get one of the many small single stack 9mm striker fired guns out there. A Glock 43 or similar. Won't be perfectly sealed, but would be better than a revolver.
    M1911A1 and Rock and Glock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    HK's man, HK's! But, a Glock will do too!
    lets not be mistreating the HK at work, beat up the Glock lol

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I pocket carry an LCP or a P3AT around the farm. They collect LOTS of stuff.
    I take an air hose to them regularly. Sometimes more than once a day if I'm in really dirty conditions.
    During harvest and working in grain dust, I like pockets that have a closed flap. It helps keep some of the dust out.

This summer I have been carrying a G17 with a Holosun RDS on it. Haven't had any failures with it and have put it through some serious dust/dirt.
    My only complaint is the RDS collects dust on the glass which makes the dot a little harder to make out.
    Same treatment as the 380's. Take an air hose to it regularly and it will take care of you when/if you need it.

Oh, don't forget to un-chamber and blow through the barrel too. If you think dust gets in the action? The barrel is like a cave that everyone throws their garbage in to hide it from the neighbors.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I pocket carry my Glock 43 daily. No dirt, some lent.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Why not a revolver. I have carried a single action in extremely dirty environments back in my youth.
    Never had a problem.
    Or as old chap recommend a holster with some protection maybe similar to what they carried their Colt 1911 in the two world wars. Donít think you could get your weapon any dirtier than an infantryman

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Why not a revolver. I have carried a single action in extremely dirty environments back in my youth.
    Never had a problem.
    Or as old chap recommend a holster with some protection maybe similar to what they carried their Colt 1911 in the two world wars. Donít think you could get your weapon any dirtier than an infantryman
    tolerances on a revolver are very tight,doesn't take a lot of grunge to lock it up
    M1911A1 and Rabbit212 like this.

What caliber? I suggest a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag great all around weapon. I carry one any time I am out in the woods in Northern Idaho.
    WebleyHunter likes this.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    tolerances on a revolver are very tight,doesn't take a lot of grunge to lock it up
    I think the Ruger Blackhawk/Vaquero and especially my Webley MKVI's would have something to say about that assessment...
    bmcgilvray and TSKnight like this.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    hate to say this but Glock, to be inline with your Micro look at the G43 and G 43X
    Donít hate to say it Glocks are the best handguns......come on hate me
    johndp1911 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links