An often missed point about the Glock grip angle - Page 3

An often missed point about the Glock grip angle

This is a discussion on An often missed point about the Glock grip angle within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own 9 Glocks .. 5 medium frames , 2 fullsize 1 subcomact and a 43 ...I guess Im use to the grip angle ? ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: An often missed point about the Glock grip angle

I own 9 Glocks .. 5 medium frames , 2 fullsize 1 subcomact and a 43 ...I guess Im use to the grip angle ? Or I never noticed ?
    G-man* and Rock and Glock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    If I were a new shooter, I would probably look hard at a Glock.

But since I have been shooting Browning Babies (1911’s and Hi Powers) for 45 years, my “natural” grip on a Glock has the front sight well above the rear sights. Can I rock my wrists forward and align the sights? Certainly. Will I remember to do that when the flag flies? Probably not.
    Totally agree here, as it’s the same for me.

And the reason for the thread is yesterday, after years of shooting both, I was working with my new LW Colt Commander and my G26 doing timed fire from concealed from 7 yards to 3 yards, when it hit me like a ton of bricks.

That danged grip angle on the Glock that I always would fight to bring down, was actually working for me if I let it. So now, instead of trying to bring it down, I just let the gun do the work, see the front sight, and pull the trigger.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

The grip angle of Glocks requires more wrist flexion, specifically ulnar deviation, to align the sights than say a 1911. This is great when shooting traditional bullseye with strong hand only, fully extended elbow grip. This supports the weight of the muzzle with tendons and and relaxed muscles of the forearm rather than active muscle tension. Therefore, less forearm muscle fatigue and tremor motion. Here's why free pistols and Olympic rapid fire handguns have similar angles.

My combative shooting is more like boxing, has more flexed elbows and boxing-like gripping. Here, Glocks shoot the ceiling.

Glocks would work for me if I ever had to duel in silk pantaloons and a powdered wig. For practical shooting, as the cartoon character Butthead says "No Beavis, use two hands!"
    G-man* and CommonCents like this.
    Still Clingin'

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BentLink View Post
    The grip angle of Glocks requires more wrist flexion, specifically ulnar deviation, to align the sights than say a 1911. This is great when shooting traditional bullseye with strong hand only, fully extended elbow grip. This supports the weight of the muzzle with tendons and and relaxed muscles of the forearm rather than active muscle tension. Therefore, less forearm muscle fatigue and tremor motion. Here's why free pistols and Olympic rapid fire handguns have similar angles.

My combative shooting is more like boxing, has more flexed elbows and boxing-like gripping. Here, Glocks shoot the ceiling.

Glocks would work for me if I ever had to duel in silk pantaloons and a powdered wig. For practical shooting, as the cartoon character Butthead says "No Beavis, use two hands!"
    For timed fire drills from 0 to 7 yards, all of my shooting is done with strong hand only.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Senior Moderator
    silk pantaloons and a powdered wig
    Makes me think of poor Alexander Hamilton. A tragic waste of a tremendous life.

If only he'd had a Glock.
    G-man*, OD*, gasmitty and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BentLink View Post
    duel in silk pantaloons and a powdered wig
    points for silk pantaloons on a gun forum
    BentLink likes this.

G-man* likes this.

I've never thought about the grip angle on my G23, it just fits my hand perfectly.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Proprioception is certainly valid for your style of shooting. For me , the upward, or high lift of the muzzle is really helpful in quickly accessing the front sight, for relatively close distance out to five yards.

Transitioning back to the 1911, and doing some time fire drills today, it wasn’t much of a drastic change, although sorting thru the clutter of white dots was necessary.
    AzQkr likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    ?????????????? I picked up a Glock 19 to see how it felt and I instantly had a perfect sight picture. And then probably 2 more with the exact same results. Unless the sights are off, you are talking about a user error in muzzle control or handling. Or personal biogeometrics (or something along those lines). As with ANY gun, no one gun is best for everyone. I'm satisfied with my Shield. Yes, the Glock would probably be more accurate FOR ME. I'm still sticking with my Shield for other reasons. You have issues with the Glock, try something else. Or learn to shoot it correctly. Every gun has its little quirks. They're all differnt. As OldVet said, different isn't bad. It's just different. Get used to it.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    ?????????????? I picked up a Glock 19 to see how it felt and I instantly had a perfect sight picture. And then probably 2 more with the exact same results. Unless the sights are off, you are talking about a user error in muzzle control or handling. Or personal biogeometrics (or something along those lines). As with ANY gun, no one gun is best for everyone. I'm satisfied with my Shield. Yes, the Glock would probably be more accurate FOR ME. I'm still sticking with my Shield for other reasons. You have issues with the Glock, try something else. Or learn to shoot it correctly. Every gun has its little quirks. They're all differnt. As OldVet said, different isn't bad. It's just different. Get used to it.
    I think you missed the point.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Makes me think of poor Alexander Hamilton. A tragic waste of a tremendous life.

If only he'd had a Glock.

Supposedly the original Burr/Hamilton dueling pistols. One's sporting a converted percussion lock, not correct for the time of the famous 1804 duel.

Don'cha dare be caught dead shooting pistols in such an affected manner either.

G-man* and Rock and Glock like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Seems a fair point. I've noticed that I'm less likely to lose the front sight when I angle the pistol upwards slightly before pushing out, so that it's above the level of the rear. Greater angle to the grip should encourage that effect.

I wonder if it's intentional or not. As I understand it, Gaston basically put together a team of various expert shooters to design the G17, so maybe they had this in mind. But then, the way the hump is positioned differently on different models (like G17 vs G19) makes me wonder if anyone really put that much thought into it.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Seems a fair point. I've noticed that I'm less likely to lose the front sight when I angle the pistol upwards slightly before pushing out, so that it's above the level of the rear. Greater angle to the grip should encourage that effect.

I wonder if it's intentional or not. As I understand it, Gaston basically put together a team of various expert shooters to design the G17, so maybe they had this in mind. But then, the way the hump is positioned differently on different models (like G17 vs G19) makes me wonder if anyone really put that much thought into it.
    Thats another good question, one that we may never know.

I do know that today when running drills with the LW Commander, I did find myself tilting the gun to get on the front sight quicker the distances were close and the shooting was fast.

As the distance increased, it didn’t matter as much, because a full sight picture was needed to make good hits.

My last string of fire from the holster was 7 shots of carry ammo on the plate at 10 yards in 8. something seconds, which I took a full sight picture to achieve. I was fairly happy with that using the lighter weight Commander, and thought that a good place to end the session:)
    maxwell97 likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Glocks "point high" if I go back & forth from 1911 to Glock.
    If I stick with Glocks they don't point high.

Glocks have less muzzle flip than 1911's with the same bullet (ammo), ex: Glock 20 vs 10mm 1911.
    I like both Glocks and 1911, so that anecdote on muzzle flip is not a knock on 1911's - just my opinion (fact).
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links