Sig 365 XL: My First Impulse Gun Purchase

This is a discussion on Sig 365 XL: My First Impulse Gun Purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Saturday I decided to visit an LGS I didn't even know existed until recently (Vienna Arsenal in Vienna, VA). I had absolutely no intention ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Sig 365 XL: My First Impulse Gun Purchase

Last Saturday I decided to visit an LGS I didn't even know existed until recently (Vienna Arsenal in Vienna, VA). I had absolutely no intention of buying a gun, just wanted to look around. Counter guy asks if I am interested in anything in particular and I mention that probably next on my list is a p365, but I already handled one at Cabelas, so no need to bother. He asked if I had seen or handled the 365XL and I said no, but would love to see one.

Now guys, on this very forum I believe I commented a few months ago that I could not really see the need for the XL. THe 365 made sense, but not the XL. Boy was I wrong. I was carrying my Walther PPS with me at the time and low and behold, the 365 XL is about the same length and a smidgen narrower. Same real estate, twice as many fireballs...hmmm. Then I pull the trigger, bingo. I have a p320 and this 365 XL has a better trigger. I also love the flat trigger that it comes with. It even fits in the Remora I was carrying the the PPS in. I got the p320 because I wanted my first red dot pistol. I have come to love that red dot for my old eyes and am looking forward to the release of the new Sig Romeo Zero red dot for the XL.

95% of the time I IWB carry so the bit of extra size makes no difference. I still have a PM9 and the PPS if I want to pocket carry. So, I bought the XL and now I have to eat my words.

I paid a bit more than I would have on the internet and the store has a reasonable $25 transfer fee, but I did not mind supporting the local LGS by buying it then and there.

Next day I went to the range and fired 200 rounds without a FTF. The only said part is that it has been so long since I shot, I was shooting low. I don't know if I have developed a flinch or if it was my grip. I've been dry firing this week and will try another range trip tomorrow. I decided to go with a Vedder Holster for it.

VIP Member
    The P365 and Vedder is a great combination - in my opinion.

To my knowledge, when you flinch you wind up shooting high because you are anticipating the recoil by raising the front of your gun yourself as you pull the trigger. I could be wrong - but the last time I shot high that was the reason. I corrected it by slowing way down and concentrating on "one smooth pull" so that when the gun went BANG it was a surprise.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Over on the SigTalk forum a number of owners of the P365s report they shoot below POA. It is more than just a handful, and I know from personal experience mine tends to shoot low as well.

Now if Sig comes out with a P365 XL SAS, I might just have to reverse myself on needing an XL. With the new SAS and grooved sight, it would be great to mount an RDS to the slide and having the option of either using the RDS or the fiber optic/tritium front sight without removing the RDS. I have no knowledge of Sig contemplating this, but I also didn't know they were releasing a P365 SAS.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I just picked up a P365 and love it. My friend has an XL and it felt great too. I have other stuff on my priority list but I'll probably get an XL next summer just to put the longer slide on the regular P365 frame.
    MMinSC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Congrats, and I hope you continue to like it and not regret the impulse! I don't have the XL but have been more than happy with the P365; it has more than 2500 rounds through it and no mechanical or finish related issues. Accurate, easy to carry and easy to shoot--what's not to like.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I have a gun safe full of impulse buys. Don't bother with self control, we are like hounds who have tasted blood.

Id like to see the P365 sas. But without the ports.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I like my 365, but still wish it had a hammer.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

I wish I could remember all my impluse firearm purchases .... The P365 seems to be solid platform... Im sure the XL will be also.
    Congratulations

My 365 shoots the "combat" sight picture where you cover the intended POI and shoot. Several of my handguns have this same sight hold. I generally prefer a No. 2 hold but for a self defense gun like the 365 it is quite acceptable.

Unlike a lot of shooters I don't frequent gun shops unless I'm there to buy something. I had heard and read a lot about the 365, but had not actually seen one in person until before Christmas last year when I happened to be in a gunny mood. The shop had a couple in stock and I bought that first one I handled. I have over a thousand trouble free rounds through it and now two holsters. One Vedder for IWB and a Black Point Sig specific version for OWB. Great gun and holsters.

I am definitely interested in the XL version, but not yet been to an LGS to look at one.

OP, congratulations on your new gun. May you shoot it in good health.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    My 365 shoots the "combat" sight picture where you cover the intended POI and shoot. Several of my handguns have this same sight hold. I generally prefer a No. 2 hold but for a self defense gun like the 365 it is quite acceptable.

Unlike a lot of shooters I don't frequent gun shops unless I'm there to buy something. I had heard and read a lot about the 365, but had not actually seen one in person until before Christmas last year when I happened to be in a gunny mood. The shop had a couple in stock and I bought that first one I handled. I have over a thousand trouble free rounds through it and now two holsters. One Vedder for IWB and a Black Point Sig specific version for OWB. Great gun and holsters.

I am definitely interested in the XL version, but not yet been to an LGS to look at one.

OP, congratulations on your new gun. May you shoot it in good health.
    Duh, you are correct sir. After a little Google Foo, I discovered that the Sig does have a 'combat' sight picture. I have never been crazy about them, but now that I know why all my shots were dead center but below the POA, I can correct for it. I may switch to a set of Trijicon HD's at some point, but at least now I can hit the target.

On another note, I got my Vedder holster. IT is pre cut for the optic and seems perfectly formed and comfortable. It took less than a week from order to delivery. Great service!

VIP Member
    If you have a #8 rear and #6 front sight, switching to a #8 front will bring POI up. I plan to do this with my 365. I'm not a fan of the current sight alignment.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    If you have a #8 rear and #6 front sight, switching to a #8 front will bring POI up. I plan to do this with my 365. I'm not a fan of the current sight alignment.
    Thank you

I personally like the combat sight picture on Sigs, it's fast. It is easy to change if you do not like it but if purchasing the Romeo Zero, I wouldn't bother.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

You folks were definitely right on the POA. I went to the range yesterday, used a combat sight picture and my impacts were where they were supposed to be (sort of).

When I went to the range two weeks ago, it was the first time I shot in about two years. I lost my wife two years ago and just lost interest in shooting since the person I most wanted to protect no longer needed protection and I was severely depressed for a long time. We all talk about how shooting is a perishable skill, that is true, but as my last two range trips illustrated, if you have good fundamentals, it does not take that much work to get back to where you were. In fact, I shot really well yesterday. Maybe it's like golf; if you lay off long enough you forget your bad swing keys

I am planning on working my way through the 600 or so 9mm practice rounds I have and ordering another case from Freedom Munitions. I also reaffirmed that I really prefer the shootability of 147 gr vs. 115 gr, especially in small pistols. Next up is taking along the AR or my shotgun to dust off the cob webs on those.
    MMinSC likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links