Really digg’in this LW Commander

This is a discussion on Really digg’in this LW Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can’t stop shooting it! My once fired brass is really piling up, lol. Big shout out and thanks to @ OD* for helping me get ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: Really digg’in this LW Commander

Can’t stop shooting it! My once fired brass is really piling up, lol.

Big shout out and thanks to @OD* for helping me get the thing back together last night after I took the lower down to stop the rattle of the grip safety when I walk, lol. I had pins in the wrong holes and God only knows what else.

Ordered some Metalform 7 round mags for it that work like a charm ( thanks again Dan)

I wish, I had jumped on the 1911 bandwagon years ago. I’ve shot and carried them on and off most of my life, but never really understood how they worked, or why they sometimes had issues.

Now, I’m learning things and, what I have learned is that they are plenty reliable enough to depend on, if you use magazines that are good, correct feed lip design, know how to check and fix extractor tension, and keep a proper weight recoil spring in them.

I am am going to wear the blue off this gun, and hopefully 10 years from now I’ll be able to post a pic here of a well used, old Colt
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I have been addicted to them all of my life...just never owned a single one that I had issues with. I would carry one today, but I am lazy and like the lighter guns for carry. I still shoot them a pile. And, every time I shoot one, I still come away amazed that this gun was designed so many years ago...his genius cannot be denied (by reasonable, experienced folks). And, as much as I like the government model size...the Commander is where its at...seriously.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    I have been addicted to them all of my life...just never owned a single one that I had issues with. I would carry one today, but I am lazy and like the lighter guns for carry. I still shoot them a pile. And, every time I shoot one, I still come away amazed that this gun was designed so many years ago...his genius cannot be denied (by reasonable, experienced folks). And, as much as I like the government model size...the Commander is where its at...seriously.
    Get you a LW Commander and you can carry it all day! Since I’ve had mine, I have done some 18 hour work days with it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special ( Thanks @matthew03 ), and it’s about as easy to tote as my G26 AIWB.

Those 10 less ounces really do make a difference.
    OD*, SatCong, gatorbait51 and 5 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Get you a LW Commander and you can carry it all day! Since I’ve had mine, I have done some 18 hour work days with it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special ( Thanks @matthew03 ), and it’s about as easy to tote as my G26 AIWB.

Seriously, I am going to give one a try...you are correct, 10ozs is a "ton" in gun weight.
    OD*, gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Seriously, I am going to give one a try...you are correct, 10ozs is a "ton" in gun weight.
    You won’t be disappointed. And the new Colts come with the double recoil spring that they claim allows for 15,000 shots before it needs changing. It does help some with recoil also, however that’s kind of negated by the light frame.

Now I have the steel commander and the LW model. Best of both worlds. I’ll use the steel model for IDPA.
    OD*, gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    You're very welcome, G-man, it's fun to help if I can, and there's always something I can learn in the process.

The Commanders are excellent pistols (both the Combat & LW), I hope you enjoy the heck out of yours.
    Last edited by OD*; September 8th, 2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spellin'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Try as I might, no carry gun feels as good in my hand as a light-weight, single-stack .45.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Thanks for the comments glockman10mm. There isn't a gun that I'd rather shoot than a 1911. In today's gun world, there are plenty with greater capacity and other bling, but I don't think any stack up to the "shootability" of a 1911. For less weight and small size, I like the LW CCO models.
    glockman10mm, OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I've been thinking of getting one of these, glad to hear good things about them.
    glockman10mm, OD* and gatorbait51 like this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

Sponsor
    Bought my first LS commander Colt in 1972. Carried that for a few years and then started carrying gov models for 28 years, occasionally bringing the LW commander into service. Back around 09, I custom ordered an Ed Brown LW Kobracarry commander because they came with long triggers and sights I didn't like. They fitted the short trigger and put a different set of night sights on it for me before shipping it.

LW commanders are one of my favorite pistols to carry and shoot. Alas, the Brown hasn't seen the light of day for years now.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Alas, the Brown hasn't seen the light of day for years now.
    That right there is 1911 cruelty
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, SatCong and 4 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

I am am going to wear the blue off this gun, and hopefully 10 years from now I’ll be able to post a pic here of a well used, old Colt

A thousand likes, Chuck !!!
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I love my LW Commander. It and my LW BHP compete every morning as to which I'll pick to carry.
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I've shot an extensive amount of Bullseye 25 & 50 Yds, with 1911 series pistols, basically rebuilt Colt models. Jokingly I've said, I could have filled several 55Gal drums with the empties. As this is written I have examples of Colt and Springfield Armory, thou I have a preference for Colt. Oh yes, I also had a S&W SC model. At this late date I'm not that enthusiastic with 1911 series as the preferred EDC.
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.

I’ve only been shooting handguns for about 5 years - just turned 50, got a late start. I find that there’s no handgun I consistently shoot better than a 1911. I don’t always carry one, but with a lightweight commander or CCO there’s no reason not to.

And I too have learned a TON on this forum from @OD* . I’m not sure there’s anything about 1911’s he doesn’t know!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links