KelTec's new little .22LR

This is a discussion on KelTec's new little .22LR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...06/keltec-p17/ This is something interesting just announced by KelTec. A little 17 round .22....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: KelTec's new little .22LR

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...06/keltec-p17/

This is something interesting just announced by KelTec. A little 17 round .22.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I’d be in for that.
    AzQkr, QKShooter, Cuda66 and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...06/keltec-p17/

This is something interesting just announced by KelTec. A little 17 round .22.
    Just looked on several of our distrib sites, not available yet and only one listed the gun but no picture yet. Retail says 190.00 at this time. I have put two on our want list so as soon as the distrib gets them, we'll have two in the shop. Might just pick one up myself cause it's got the threaded barrel so I can use my can with it.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Me too.

I'd get one just to put a can on it. Might be a neat little gun.
    airslot and QKShooter like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Interesting concept...but Kel Tec's execution is sometimes questionable on the finished product! I wonder how it would fare against the M&P-22 Compact (other than mag capacity)? If...it is not ammo picky and reliable like the M&P 22 Compact I might be in!
    craze and QKShooter like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Interesting concept...but Kel Tec's execution is sometimes questionable on the finished product! I wonder how it would fare against the M&P-22 Compact (other than mag capacity)? If...it is not ammo picky and reliable like the M&P 22 Compact I might be in!
    I'm going take stab in the dark and say that even IF it's ammo picky, that only puts in the same category as many 22 pistols on the market today. If it won't eat the junk, I'll move over one stack to the H/V 22lr like I've had to do for decades with various 22 auto's.
    1942bull, airslot and 5lima30ret like this.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Was just looking at Ruger’s new Wrangler .22 revolvers at Academy, same price range. Add in the new Taurus semi auto .22 and it seems we have a trend forming.

What I was hoping to see was a .22 version of the P3at. Been hoping Ruger would make a .22 version of the LCP for a while. Would be a fun pistol and a good pocket carry option for folks who are recoil sensitive.

Kel tec introduces some interesting guns...but they don’t often make enough of them in a timely manner.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Kel tec introduces some interesting guns...but they don’t often make enough of them in a timely manner.
    I think KelTec is probably the most innovative firearms maker currently. Hit or miss, they come out with some innovative concepts that no one else offers. They had the lightweight pocket .380 before anyone else, very light and small 9mm, they make bullpups, the KSG, CMR-30, PMR30, that folding AR thing, the sub2000 series, the .223 pistol that looked like an AR but had no tube before AR pistols were popular, etc. They design some pretty off the wall stuff and do so at very affordable prices. They fall short on the manufacturing side though. Cannot meet demand and some quality issues. KelTec would probably be better off as a design company and then license their products to a company like Ruger for production. The guns would cost a little more but they would probably be better made and more available.

With all the interesting concepts that KelTec releases, it makes me wonder about their ideas that never made it to production. The products that KelTec decided were too crazy even for them.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I would like to hold one...there probably won't be one near me for the better part of a decade...the 22mag has only been on the shelves locally for a few months.
    MMinSC likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I think KelTec is probably the most innovative firearms maker currently. Hit or miss, they come out with some innovative concepts that no one else offers. They had the lightweight pocket .380 before anyone else, very light and small 9mm, they make bullpups, the KSG, CMR-30, PMR30, that folding AR thing, the sub2000 series, the .223 pistol that looked like an AR but had no tube before AR pistols were popular, etc. They design some pretty off the wall stuff and do so at very affordable prices. They fall short on the manufacturing side though. Cannot meet demand and some quality issues. KelTec would probably be better off as a design company and then license their products to a company like Ruger for production. The guns would cost a little more but they would probably be better made and more available.

With all the interesting concepts that KelTec releases, it makes me wonder about their ideas that never made it to production. The products that KelTec decided were too crazy even for them.
    Agreed. My local gunsmith friend, an excellent Ruger certified smith, says that some KelTecs are fine inside and some are absolute junk -- it's a crap shoot whether you get a decent one. That's enough to steer me away from them.
    entertainment72 and MMinSC like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Agreed. My local gunsmith friend, an excellent Ruger certified smith, says that some KelTecs are fine inside and some are absolute junk -- it's a crap shoot whether you get a decent one. That's enough to steer me away from them.
    I'll be paying dealer pricing. If I don't like it, I'll put it in the case at that price used and sell it.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Funny...that has been my experience with Ruger revolvers, of late...an absolute CRAP shoot.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

I have gunstores in my area that pretty much will carry anything... I will be on a watch ... I only had two 22 Lr semi's that fed almost anything .. One was a Taurus PT-22 other a Phoenix Arms .... Both lesser exspensive single stacks but realiable

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Funny...that has been my experience with Ruger revolvers, of late...an absolute CRAP shoot.
    You are correct there as well, Shootnlead. My gunsmith guy said new Ruger revolvers are having some production quality problems. I'm sure there are both Rugers and KelTecs that are fine. Maybe some aren't....
    Buckeye63 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I have been wanting a little .22 pistol. I was going to start at thread asking for suggestions. The two I was considering were the Beretta Bobcat inox or the PPK stainless. I like small metal, good looking handguns and just wanted one for fun. This KelTec is pretty much the opposite but I think I will wait and see when they come out. For the price, light weight and capacity, this might be useful. I guess I will just have to see how long it takes to find one at MSRP. This gun is certainly not handsome. Kinda looks like Dr Frankenstein put it together with all those bolts. Seems like a cool little pistol though.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links