Sig Legion - worth the money?

This is a discussion on Sig Legion - worth the money? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 40 cal Sig 226. I love it - I shoot it more accurately than any other gun I own. Iíve been eyeing ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Sig Legion - worth the money?

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar

I have a 40 cal Sig 226. I love it - I shoot it more accurately than any other gun I own.

Iíve been eyeing the Sig Legion series, either the 226 or 229 in 9mm.

Does anyone own or has anyone shot both the Legion and non-Legion 226 or 229, and is the price tag worth it? The Legion is going for about $1200 or $1000 used. So considerably above the non-Legion, and triple what I can get a Sig certified used gun for.
    Doghandler likes this.

I got a deal on a 226 40. Nice gun and I really liked the front strap checkering. The trigger was nothing special, in fact the worst of all my Sigs.

I ended up selling it for a nice profit. My AD 229 is superior in every way.
    StripesDude likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    I recommend a stroll over to the Sig Talk forum where there will be a multitude of Legion fanbois and others who chose not to pay the premium. There's even a separate subforum for the Legion series. https://sigtalk.com/legion-series/
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I own a Legion 229 in 9 MM that I have carried for the last eight months. I like it very much. To me, it's worth it. Prior to that, I bought a M11-A1, which I liked, and had an action job done by Sig and XRay night sights installed. What I spent on that gun was more than what I spent on the Legion, but since I had no experience carrying a Sig DA/SA I did not know whether I would really like it and whether I would be able to shoot it well.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have purchased the Legion to start out. The only advantage of the M11-A1 over the Legion is that it is just slightly lighter.
    StripesDude, MMinSC and OldVet like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Itís a shame my P226 Legion SAO in 9mm got dropped in the river on a noodling event.

A great pistol with an excellent trigger. The X-ray green front sight was interesting and easy to see in the daylight. Some owners have reported issues with the finish peeling. I had none of that. Sig reliability and accuracy. Would definitely recommend that particular model, especially to anyone coming from the 1911 side if the family. Used Mecgar 18 round mags flawlessly.
    StripesDude likes this.
    ďBeware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Itís a shame my P226 Legion SAO in 9mm got dropped in the river on a noodling event.

A great pistol with an excellent trigger. The X-ray green front sight was interesting and easy to see in the daylight. Some owners have reported issues with the finish peeling. I had none of that. Sig reliability and accuracy. Would definitely recommend that particular model, especially to anyone coming from the 1911 side if the family. Used Mecgar 18 round mags flawlessly.
    Yeah, Iím a lefty so Iím looking at the SAO model with the ambi safety.

I have both a p226 and p229 Legion. I used to have a M11-A1. I didnít like the M11 at all. I love my Legions! In my book, theyíre worth it. But thatís a very individual thing.
    StripesDude likes this.

We're probably better off just sending our Sigs to Grayguns.

Straight trigger?, why yes, yes please!
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

No question do it ...They really are worth it ...Amazing trigger and sights and grips ..Really having owned both the legion really out shoots the stock and for that matter easily outshoots me
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    No question do it ...They really are worth it ...Amazing trigger and sights and grips ..Really having owned both the legion really out shoots the stock and for that matter easily outshoots me
    My guns always outshoot me!
    G26Raven and PhaedrusIV like this.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have purchased the Legion to start out. The only advantage of the M11-A1 over the Legion is that it is just slightly lighter.[/QUOTE]

There is your meat-and-potatoes response.

I have the basic P226 MK-25 9mm Sig and like it very much, although it does not fill any particular niche for me. I find nothing wrong with Sigs, they are just not what I chose to carry.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a Legion P229 in 9mm. The reason I think it's worth the price is that I was buying it to be my EDC. I know there is much debate on if carrying a stock vs modified gun will get you in more legal trouble should you have to use it, but I decided for *me*, I'd rather have a box stock gun to avoid that possible issue. The Legion package gave me everything I would have wanted in a modified gun, but in an off the shelf setup. Works for me. Love shooting it, too.

Being in the Legion club has been disappointing, though. Very little in the Legion store these days, no mailings about Legion events, etc. The free case they send you is only nice if you can use it. Mine sits on a shelf collecting dust.

I have P226 Legion in 9mm. I love it, my range toy. I had to sell 3 firearms to get the seed money to pay $1,200 for mine. If you can afford it buy it, or like me sell some unloved firearms to get the seed money for it. It is a thing of beauty, with a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    I have P226 Legion in 9mm. I love it, my range toy. I had to sell 3 firearms to get the seed money to pay $1,200 for mine. If you can afford it buy it, or like me sell some unloved firearms to get the seed money for it. It is a thing of beauty, with a lifetime warranty.
    Is the lifetime warranty for the original owner or for anything that happens to the gun no matter the owner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I'll stand by to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think it is like all Sig's warranties in that it is good for life for the original owner.
    djcomm likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links