The only .380 I ever really wanted - Page 2

The only .380 I ever really wanted

This is a discussion on The only .380 I ever really wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks all for sharing similar guns to the PPK. I will say I'm not a fan of the retail on the PPK/S, especially considering its ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The only .380 I ever really wanted

Thanks all for sharing similar guns to the PPK.

I will say I'm not a fan of the retail on the PPK/S, especially considering its a .380 but might be the fact its an iconic handgun with a bit of a history.

Its doubtful my PPK/S will turn into an EDC choice. I plan on shooting it this weekend.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Had a PPK in 380 stainless liked it but recoil I thought for some reason was stiffer than other 380 caliber pistols. Do still have one Walther a PP in 32 acp that was a vet bring back from WWII. Known as a cigarette gun as the frame and slide are mismatched numbers and does not have the final Nazi acceptance or proof markings. Assembled when american GI's occupied the Walther factory and paid workers with cigarette's to put together souvenir pistols in a hurry.

The only .380 I ever really wanted-img-0436-sm-10.jpg
    Last edited by ronbo; September 23rd, 2019 at 07:51 AM.
    Wavygravy and PhaedrusIV like this.
    NRA Life Member

I'm also a big fan of the PPK because of the 007 connection. Walther is supposedly shipping it, but nobody has it yet. The owner of my LGS is keeping an eye out for it. He had a really old one at his store the other day, really beat up, but the first time I've ever even gotten to fondle one. If they're really shipping it (which is a BIG if), I will have it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcfiero View Post
    I'm partial to the Sig P230 and P232.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by taltexan View Post
    I have owned both ppks and the sig 232. My preference is the 232.
    I'm with you guys!

A PPK/s was one of my first few pistols, back in the 70's. I thought it was one of the "coolest" guns out there, largely because of the "James Bond Factor". I still think it is a sexy little pistol, and truly iconic, but as much as I wanted to love the PPK/s, I couldn't. It was never real reliable, and would sometimes give me a nasty slide bite. Not all that accurate, at least in my hands. It was, even then, a bit big & heavy for the caliber & capacity. It was also way too much money for me to have tied up in a CCW in those days - I didn't have a whole lot of discretionary income at that time!

A couple of decades later I came across a like-new Sig P232 in a pawn shop at a price I couldn't walk away from. Wow! Everything the PPK/s shoulda been but wasn't! Dead-nuts accurate, 100% reliable, just as 'sexy', and a pleasure to shoot. Still too big & heavy for caliber & capacity for a CCW by today's standards, but one of my favorite pistols anyway!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I had the chance to shoot my new PPK/S this past Saturday at the range. I shot it along side my EDC G43X

The target was setup at about ten yards and was shooting at the paper plates because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to picking out paper targets and paper plates offer the best bang for the buck.

I think overall I didn't do too bad but the .380 remains a cartridge I'm not comfortable with for serious use, though still better than a .22 and sure is a lot better than nothing.

The recoil on the PPK/S is definitely manageable but still found myself having to wear gloves due to slide bite. The beavertail on the PPK/S is there but not quite long enough for my hands unfortunately.

Overall I give the PPK/S an 8/10

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links