The only .380 I ever really wanted - Page 2

The only .380 I ever really wanted

This is a discussion on The only .380 I ever really wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks all for sharing similar guns to the PPK. I will say I'm not a fan of the retail on the PPK/S, especially considering its ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The only .380 I ever really wanted

Thanks all for sharing similar guns to the PPK.

I will say I'm not a fan of the retail on the PPK/S, especially considering its a .380 but might be the fact its an iconic handgun with a bit of a history.

Its doubtful my PPK/S will turn into an EDC choice. I plan on shooting it this weekend.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Had a PPK in 380 stainless liked it but recoil I thought for some reason was stiffer than other 380 caliber pistols. Do still have one Walther a PP in 32 acp that was a vet bring back from WWII. Known as a cigarette gun as the frame and slide are mismatched numbers and does not have the final Nazi acceptance or proof markings. Assembled when american GI's occupied the Walther factory and paid workers with cigarette's to put together souvenir pistols in a hurry.

The only .380 I ever really wanted-img-0436-sm-10.jpg
    Last edited by ronbo; September 23rd, 2019 at 06:51 AM.
    NRA Life Member

I'm also a big fan of the PPK because of the 007 connection. Walther is supposedly shipping it, but nobody has it yet. The owner of my LGS is keeping an eye out for it. He had a really old one at his store the other day, really beat up, but the first time I've ever even gotten to fondle one. If they're really shipping it (which is a BIG if), I will have it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcfiero View Post
    I'm partial to the Sig P230 and P232.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by taltexan View Post
    I have owned both ppks and the sig 232. My preference is the 232.
    I'm with you guys!

A PPK/s was one of my first few pistols, back in the 70's. I thought it was one of the "coolest" guns out there, largely because of the "James Bond Factor". I still think it is a sexy little pistol, and truly iconic, but as much as I wanted to love the PPK/s, I couldn't. It was never real reliable, and would sometimes give me a nasty slide bite. Not all that accurate, at least in my hands. It was, even then, a bit big & heavy for the caliber & capacity. It was also way too much money for me to have tied up in a CCW in those days - I didn't have a whole lot of discretionary income at that time!

A couple of decades later I came across a like-new Sig P232 in a pawn shop at a price I couldn't walk away from. Wow! Everything the PPK/s shoulda been but wasn't! Dead-nuts accurate, 100% reliable, just as 'sexy', and a pleasure to shoot. Still too big & heavy for caliber & capacity for a CCW by today's standards, but one of my favorite pistols anyway!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I had the chance to shoot my new PPK/S this past Saturday at the range. I shot it along side my EDC G43X

The target was setup at about ten yards and was shooting at the paper plates because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to picking out paper targets and paper plates offer the best bang for the buck.

I think overall I didn't do too bad but the .380 remains a cartridge I'm not comfortable with for serious use, though still better than a .22 and sure is a lot better than nothing.

The recoil on the PPK/S is definitely manageable but still found myself having to wear gloves due to slide bite. The beavertail on the PPK/S is there but not quite long enough for my hands unfortunately.

Overall I give the PPK/S an 8/10

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

"007, leave the Beretta"

his first PPK was a .32. 7.65mm
    shadowwalker and Wavygravy like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Back in 67 I was lucky enough to have a PPK 32acp it had all the papers, boxes, hard carrying case, the blueing was flawless along with 500rds of ammo. Those were the days I thought they would never end but then the bubble popped.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Dear forum members, this is the second time I write in this forum, the first time it was not published, I hope this time if it is published.

I loved it and felt very identified with the title of this thread "The only 380 ACP I really wanted"

I remind you that the gun that the famous secret agent 007 James Bond played by Sean Connery really receives you is in fact a Walther PP, not a Walther PPK, as mentioned. I invite you to take a close look at the image of the famous chapter of Dr. NO.
    In fact, the Walther PP was auctioned and reached a fortune of more than US $ 100,000, the PPK, used in the following chapters, was auctioned for a lower price, close to US $ 45,000. Only for those who ignore the PP.

Time I had a Beretta 84 bb, which I consider to be the best 38O ACP pistol, of all the manufactured ones, basically it is a small combat pistol, it has all the benefits of a combat pistol, except the caliber. I sold it and I don't regret it.

With that said, the only 380 ACP I really wanted was a genuine Walther PP Series, and I had a chance to buy a brand new Walther PP strap, boxed, with all accessories and factory paperwork, beautifully polished blue, as already not seen in any contemporary pistol.

It is a Masterpiece, all of forged steel, exquisitely machined, with fixed barrel, which assures me a long time of intrinsic precision.

The Walther PP is only 0.6 inches longer, which is nothing, than the Walther PPK / S has absolutely no other difference.
    Those 0.6 inches more allow you to get the most out of energy from the marginal 380 ACP, better ammunition tolerance by having a longer spring and less recoil by having a heavier slider.

The design is beautiful, and specially made to carry hidden, it is flat, without protrusions, safe to your DA and it is perfect in a pocket Santini hoster that allows me to draw it quickly and thanks to its DA / SA system I can shoot it very fast old-style, this is from the waist.

I have no sliding bite, and the explanations are due not to a defect in the model, but to the way the weapon is grasped. The correct way to take a pistol is with the tip of your thumb down, this is natural for me.
    Try playing with your thumb up and then down and watch what happens to your skin membrane, it will go up and down.

This pistol is designed to be fired with just one hand, old school style. By the way you can do it with both hands but be sure to keep it under your thumb and it will be a pleasure to shoot it without a slip bite.

Here are some photos of my beautiful queen, the Walther PP 1971. NIB.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Sr Zonkerm1986, gracias por subir el video, escena memorable y un icono para millones de seguidores.

Sr. Sombra de Caminante, le felicito por su PPK ULM de 1967, tiene razón usted ha sido afortunado, comprendo perfectamente cuando menciona que tenía un " color azul perfecto" así es amigo, yo no pude nunca acceder a un PPK, soy afortunado en conseguir un PP , ulm de 1971, muy próximo al suyo, también nuevo en caja con todos los accesorios y papeles de fábrica, por lo que tiene un " color azul perfecto" hermoso que puede apreciar en la foto que subí para que la disfruten. Creo no exagerar, si digo que son Obras Maestras.
    Me pregunto si aún la conserva ? y si no la tiene cual fue la razón ? Es muy muy difícil que pueda encontrar hoy otro en estado casi nuevo y valen una fortuna.

Desconozco la expresión " pero luego estallo la burbuja" si no es moletia, me gustaría cual era la idea que quiso compartir, disculpe no entiendo. gracias.

Mr Zonkerm1986, thanks for uploading the video, memorable scene and icon for millions of followers.

Mr. Shadow of Walker, I congratulate you on your 1967 PPK ULM, you are right that you have been fortunate, I fully understand when you mention that you had a "perfect blue color" so you are friend, I was never able to access a PPK, I am fortunate in get a PP, ulm from 1971, very close to yours, also new in box with all the accessories and factory papers, so it has a beautiful "perfect blue color" that you can see in the photo I uploaded for you to enjoy. I think I am not exaggerating, if I say that they are Masterpieces.
    I wonder if he still has it? and if you don't have it, what was the reason? It is very very difficult that today I can find another in almost new condition and they are worth a fortune.

I do not know the expression "but then the bubble burst" if it is not moletia, I would like what was the idea you wanted to share, sorry I do not understand. Thank you
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Check out the Beretta Model 84, Browning BDA-380, or CZ-83. I have them all. They are all out of production but I consider them to be the best .380 ACP pistols out there.
    Have always lusted after one of those double stack .380’s, could never justify the price though.

Does that PPK/S have the Arkansas marking on the right side?

I had an older ULM marked PP in 32 back in the day. I just found and bought one of the newer PPK/s's in .22LR that I posted about in the .22 section. Interesting stories of these newer ones being assembled by Walter in Arkansas. Most of this info can be found on Walther forums.

I do hear that they supply of these new ones (post smith and Wesson contract) are hard to find and limited. I think a lot of this activity happened around 2013 which iirc was when Walther severed ties with Smith & Wesson. Correct me if I am wrong. I recall the new .22LR version started about then. the larger calibers coming later on and recently?

I agree that the Bersa copy is an excellent firearm and possibly more reliable and easier to shoot. I also love my Sig Sauer variants but do not own one in .380 I have two of the 938's. One of which is my EDC. However the one .380 I want that I do not have is the Seecamp LS380. I have it in .32 acp and still want a .380 version.

Quote Originally Posted by ninety_caliber View Post
    Have always lusted after one of those double stack .380’s, could never justify the price though.
    look at the Bersa Thunder Plus .380. 15 rounds in a double stack mag and there are a few configurations. My favorite is the all nickel model. I've owned .380 Bersas since the early 1990's and am very fond of them.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links