LCP range time

LCP range time

This is a discussion on LCP range time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My most often carried sidearms, by far, are my pair of Gen 1 Ruger LCPs, carried in opposite front pockets. My work environment is professional ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: LCP range time

LCP range time

My most often carried sidearms, by far, are my pair of Gen 1 Ruger LCPs, carried in opposite front pockets. My work environment is professional attire and non permissive, and after much trial and mostly error over the years, this is what works best for me. With matching wallet pocket holsters, they appear like anything except pistols.

Some time ago, I resolved to spend more time training seriously with my LCPs. I ran them, pocketed, through a low light class as but one example.

Since moving to Texas, I bought a case of .380 ammo at a good price from Target Sports USA. That reduced ammo cost has really allowed me to train like I wish I could before. (I have no interest in reloading)

Yesterday, I went to the range and fired 200 rounds through my "Lefty" LCP in an hour. About 75% of the shooting was one-handed, as at work I have a briefcase (which has an armor panel in it) and on weekends, I have the kids. Chances are, I will be shooting one handed. Of that, 75% was with my right hand, the balance with my left.

I used a flash sight picture, firing as quickly as I could. That was helped by a bit of florescent red Testors model paint on the front sight nub. I do use the Ruger factory finger extension mag baseplate, as I find that aids in controlling the pistol.

The attached picture shows a string of 7 shots at 10 yards, right hand only. 5 to the torso, two to the head. One of the head shots is a bit left of where I'd like it, but still ok.

The little gem of a gun ran flawlessly, and I left the range with more confidence in it, and in myself. I did not clean it or do anything else to it before the range session...straight from my pocket to the firing line. I only had a few misses, when going for head shots at 15 yards (the farthest this range goes). I'd say at that distance, my head shot hit ratio was about 60-75%. The misses were close, but a miss is a miss.

These guns get little respect within the firearms community, but with some practice are surprisingly capable.

All in all, a good day!

As a funny aside, I had better groups than the knucklehead two bays over who was doing 30-round mag dumps with his AR...at only 7 yards. That tool and his buddy kept me well distracted, as I kept a wary eye on them. I figured it was a stressor as part of my "training."

LCP range time-img_0826.jpg
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Nicely done. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks of the LCP or 2 LCP's. It works for you. I give high praise to my little Beretta Pico much to the sneers from most "real gun guys". It fills a niche and it does it very well and that is all that matters.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I got a little range time in today. Lately I've been shooting the little P365 but today my G20 was looking lonesome so I took it out to the range. The only target I set up was a rack of 3.5" swingers and I stepped back to the 20 yd line to see if I could still shoot the G20 after a couple of months of only shooting the P365. I'll say this, man it felt good to grab onto something that fills the palm. That little P365 is so tiny that it isn't something I can really get a grip on. I shoot it ok but it's not really enjoyable, not that it is snappy or anything, just not much there to grab onto.
    The shooting went well with the G20, I only put 50 rounds down the pipe but most were hits on the 3.5" swingers which aren't all that large at 20 yds. It sure felt good having a grip I can actually get a grip on.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Hat off to ya sir! Thatís how it should be done.

Realistic practice is the key to confidence.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hat off to ya sir! Thatís how it should be done.

Realistic practice is the key to confidence.
    Most of my sidearm shooting going forward will be one handed.

Next, I need to get better shooting with both eyes open. Iím ok with my Glocks, but the tiny snagless LCP sights are harder for me to focus on unless I squint my left eye.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member
    That's good LCP shootin' there, 10th! I've been practicing a lot with mine lately as well from 3-10 yds. I put a fluorescent yellowish/white dot on my front sight. My LCPII is all I can carry at work (the biggest threat environment I face most of the time, since it's at restaurant/bars), so I figure it's as good a chance to protect myself as I'm gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Most of my sidearm shooting going forward will be one handed.
    Next, I need to get better shooting with both eyes open. Iím ok with my Glocks, but the tiny snagless LCP sights are harder for me to focus on unless I squint my left eye.
    I don't have that problem -- one eye is all I gots. Heheh.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Very nice, do you have any grips on it besides the stock?
    Just curious. I like Traction Grips on my LC9, the perforated sheep skin especially.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Very nice, do you have any grips on it besides the stock?
    Just curious. I like Traction Grips on my LC9, the perforated sheep skin especially.
    I tried the Hogue but took them off. Interfered with the draw.

That's some nice shooting with the LCP!
    1gunsnowbird and 10thmtn like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I tried the Hogue but took them off. Interfered with the draw.
    Yah, I had the Pachmayr grip sleeve on mine and took it off as well. Interfered w/ the draw, and made the profile fatter. I'm looking for as slim, little, and light as possible while being reliable.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I like the LCP & a extra mag, 13 rounds should do it & I like to point shoot with it, not too shabby shooting 10thmtn ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I enjoyed shooting my Lcp. 200 rounds would be a few more than my hand could stand in one outing
    10thmtn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Won't complain about those results. That's some nice shooting!

My LCP is with me almost all the time and I practice regularly with it. The front sight has a white dot to help me pick it out as the black is almost invisible to me.
    Most of my practice is point shooting from 3-10 yards center mass. Only time I use the sights is beyond 10 yards out to around 25 yards. Beyond that, the LCP just doesn't lend itself well to precision shooting for me. Have done some shooting at longer distances, but I won't brag about my results.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Thread needs a picture.

LCP range time-b2429b27-a842-4450-bf39-a7f9045439b6.jpeg
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Distinguished Member
    @10thmtn , I don't want to be "hijacking your thread" at all, just thought I'd put this here since it's about range time with LCP --Hope you don't mind.
    Today did two strings of 6 each one-handed (right hand), one at 7 yards, the other at 10 yds. Not as good as yours, but OK for me drawing and quick firing with the "mousegun."
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links