Ruger RAP 9X19mm & 45ACP

Ruger RAP 9X19mm & 45ACP

This is a discussion on Ruger RAP 9X19mm & 45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apparently both the RAP 9X19mm and 45ACP market place acceptance has not been what Ruger wished for. I acquired an example of each and both ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By dennis40x
  • 1 Post By Struckat
  • 1 Post By forester58
  • 1 Post By BBMW
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Ruger RAP 9X19mm & 45ACP

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar

Ruger RAP 9X19mm & 45ACP

Ruger RAP 9X19mm & 45ACP-img_6595a.jpg
    Apparently both the RAP 9X19mm and 45ACP market place acceptance has not been what Ruger wished for. I acquired an example of each and both have functioned with no failures to feed, fire and eject plus the accuracy is on par with the S&W MP series semiautomatic pistols. The firing of both pistols was from standing at 10 & 20 Yds. Rapid fire. You can see the date on the photograph as this is written the Ruger RAP series pistols are seldom mentioned if at all on forums or firearms publications.
    Struckat and PhaedrusIV like this.

As an LCP II owner, I automatically want a giant one, but never seem to buy one.
    dennis40x likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    As an LCP II owner, I automatically want a giant one, but never seem to buy one.
    People refer to the size of the RAP series, but if one was to lay side by side a S&W MP9 and a Ruger RAP9 both are about the same size.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure they work, but in a crowded market, they really have nothing that makes them stand out.

Rugged and reliable on the inexpensive ?
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    I'm sure they work, but in a crowded market, they really have nothing that makes them stand out.
    In my opinion Ruger didn't control the message during the initial release of the RAP series pistol. By that I mean, usually the firearms media is given samples to evaluate, thus articles are written. It appears that the RAP-9X19mm hit the market place first allowing individuals on the internet to critique thus negative reviews draws viewership as opposed to more measured reviews in the written firearms press. I found the RAP-9X19mm to be on par to somewhat better than the S&W-MP9 Gen1.

Lets face it I just think it was and is a market flooded with black plastic handguns with virtually nothing standing out. Even the M&P series did nothing for me although S&W did a great job marketing and coming out with the Shield and Shield 45 as well as the 2.0. Tough place to make a market dent.
    OldVet likes this.

The M&P line was, and probably still is #2 to Glock in the poly-striker market. And the Shield on its own was a huge hit, dominating the single stack subcompact market for years. I also think the 2.0 line is doing well, especially the compact. That line does what everyone was screaming for, making a gun in the same form factor as the Glock 19. This is what Ruger should have done with the RAP line, but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Lets face it I just think it was and is a market flooded with black plastic handguns with virtually nothing standing out. Even the M&P series did nothing for me although S&W did a great job marketing and coming out with the Shield and Shield 45 as well as the 2.0. Tough place to make a market dent.
    forester58 likes this.

I've got the RAP45c and I love it. In fact I shoot it better than anything else that I have. Too bad it hasn't caught on.
    A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 at home.

To break into today's handgun market, a firearm needs to be innovative, exceptional, unique, or some combination of the aforementioned. I see the marketers touting the features of a new gun and think, And? If it doesn't offer why the others don't have, then why should I buy?
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Cheap helps also. Canik broke into the market by being as good as any of the name brand poly-striker guns, and being hundreds cheaper than some.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    To break into today's handgun market, a firearm needs to be innovative, exceptional, unique, or some combination of the aforementioned. I see the marketers touting the features of a new gun and think, And? If it doesn't offer why the others don't have, then why should I buy?

I really liked my Ruger American Compact 9mm. It shot great it was built like a tank and the customer service is amazing. The problem I had was the gun on recoil would hit the thumb knuckle on my shooting hand. The edge of the frame is very squared off above the replaceable grips. I did not want to change my handgun grip based on the gun to keep that from happening. So I sold the gun and bought a Canik tp9sf Elite. Could not be happier.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Ruger LC9s (wifes)

Son of Thunder

I really like the 2 I have. A full size 9, and a compact 45. Very nice shooting guns and all American made. The 45 is a little large for my tastes as a concealed carry weapon, but I need to get a good holster for it. It may be nice once the weather turns to brrr.
    As others have said, there is not much of an aftermarket for them and they must not be to popular. I think they are great shooters though.

Sponsored Links