I've probably watched too many movies (but I like them)

This is a discussion on I've probably watched too many movies (but I like them) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have probably watched too many action movies. I have also read too many threads on this page in which people have said they ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: I've probably watched too many movies (but I like them)

OK, I have probably watched too many action movies. I have also read too many threads on this page in which people have said they carry two guns on a daily basis - mostly 5 or 6 shot revolvers, but two of them. Anybody carry two 1911's? If so, how do you carry them? Are they both the same size (5", 4", or 3") or a combo of each size? Is it even necessary to carry two (I kind of doubt it, but I am posting the question anyway)? I guess
    I am just curious, but I am wondering what all of you guys think.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    OK, I have probably watched too many action movies. I have also read too many threads on this page in which people have said they carry two guns on a daily basis - mostly 5 or 6 shot revolvers, but two of them. Anybody carry two 1911's? If so, how do you carry them? Are they both the same size (5", 4", or 3") or a combo of each size? Is it even necessary to carry two (I kind of doubt it, but I am posting the question anyway)? I guess
    I am just curious, but I am wondering what all of you guys think.
    2 j frames are something I have carried at the same time with no issues.

I carry 2 guns on most days now, although they are not the same kind or caliber.
    OldChap, 10thmtn, airslot and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Back in the 80's, when I thought I was Don Johnson I had a shoulder rig for 2 full size 1911's.
    I was a bad ass in my turquoise shirt and Banana Republic White cotton suit.
    Then I grew up.
    Now carry 1 1911 and a S&W airweight .38 in an ankle holster

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Back in the 80's, when I thought I was Don Johnson I had a shoulder rig for 2 full size 1911's.
    Then I grew up.
    I have a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig set up for 2 full size 1911s. I have never worn it out in public. I'm sure I will, someday.
    drmordo and gatorbait51 like this.

Carried two gov models quite often from 77-04 working the streets. Time and place or protection details dictated whether I'd carry the second 1911.

One cross draw, the other strong side, belt holstered for EP work. One appendix the other strong side belted for all else. Cross draw so I had a gun I could get to or have a hand on when alighting from the vehicle with principle.

104 or thereabouts ounces for two guns with 8 rds in each, two extra mags behind the cross draw rig meant the kit those days amounted to 6#'s of armament.

The rule is you carry whatever YOU deem necessary. It makes no difference what anybody else carries. They will not bleed or die in your place - or emerge victorious from an assault.

There are times I carry one, two, or even three handguns and a rifle with 180 rounds in a bag when my place of travel dictates that I might need it. Assess your situation and act accordingly.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The rule is you carry whatever YOU deem necessary. It makes no difference what anybody else carries. They will not bleed or die in your place - or emerge victorious from an assault.

There are times I carry one, two, or even three handguns and a rifle with 180 rounds in a bag when my place of travel dictates that I might need it. Assess your situation and act accordingly.
    Dang, sounds like to go to some sketchy places Old Chap!
    You are a braver man than I
    drmordo, OldChap and gatorbait51 like this.

I have never carried two 1911s. I often carry a five-inch 1911 with a spare magazine OWB plus a pocket Sig P938 9mm (miniature 1911) with a spare magazine.

I have carried either a five-inch S&W 460 magnum or a four-inch S&W 29-2 .44 magnum with two speed loaders with a Glock G20 SF and two spare magazines plus a pocket P238 .380 with a spare magazine before I retired.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Then I grew up.
    I don't think Don Johnson carried any 1911s in Miami Vice, but he did carry one in Nash Bridges. The double shoulder holster he carried in MV I believe contained spare magazines.

Don Johnson - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

"Anybody carry two 1911's?"

The closest I've ever come to carrying two 1911's is when I had a Sig p238 and a Sig p938. But I never carried them both at the same time, and they are not 1911's, but they are the closest to a 1911 I've ever had.

When I carry 2, it's usually my 442 in weakside front pocket and a bigger revolver strongside iwb or owb. Sometimes it's my 380 Bodyguard front pocket and a bigger semi auto iwb or owb.

I need to get a 1911 just so I can say I have one. 🙂
    ETXhiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I don't think Don Johnson carried any 1911s in Miami Vice, but he did carry one in Nash Bridges. The double shoulder holster he carried in MV I believe contained spare magazines.

Don Johnson - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
    He carried a Bren 10 in Miami Vice

Remember; the fastest reload is always second gun.

My favorite setup was a semi on my hip, extended spare mag in my jeans watch pocket and my BG380 in my front pocket.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Closest I came to that was a G26 backing up a G19 while on duty. The G26 fit in the pocket of 5.11 duty pants.
    gatorbait51, ETXhiker and Goldy49 like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

flh
    Face off movie ,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've probably watched too many movies (but I like them)-img_1914.jpg  

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

I once carried a full-auto M16,a 45 1911, and a M79 gernade launcher while on some ugly truck on a god forsaken dirt road with no gas stations or pull-offs!! Oh and the speed limit was as fast as your ass could go!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links