Colt LW Commander vs Springfield Defender Gov Model - Page 2

Colt LW Commander vs Springfield Defender Gov Model

This is a discussion on Colt LW Commander vs Springfield Defender Gov Model within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a twofer!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Colt LW Commander vs Springfield Defender Gov Model

Senior Moderator
    It's a twofer!
    OD*, PhaedrusIV, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Double...and the Saturday Night Special shoots with the prancing horse.
    It certainly seems to want to run. I haven’t shot it that much yet, but I have full confidence in its reliability.

Today could have been a fluke. But things are looking very good for both.
    CWOUSCG, OD*, PhaedrusIV and 6 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Moderator
    Yep, that's a double. In USPSA matches we ROs carry clear plastic overlays for the popular calibers, and we look for grease rings as evidence of "doubles." Chuck, that's a double. Good work!

BTW, I admit to always looking for the "best" load for competition. Make the appropriate power factor, minimum split times between shots, how many A-zone hits can I get in 5 seconds... you understand. So for all my experimentation recipes in 9mm and .45 ACP over the last couple of years, I'll load up 50 rounds. Chrono 20 rounds, then shoot 3-4 5-round groups and measure them. "Winners" are rounds that meet power factor with a few percent margin and that have the smallest group size.

Well, yesterday I came across an article in a USPSA publication that threw cold water all over my 5-shot group methodology. Statistically, I'd be better off shooting 20 rounds at a single target for each "recipe," and judging accuracy that way. Ideally we'd shoot a bunch of 20-round groups, but that's usually not possible for those of us whose lives extend beyond just the loading bench and the range. The author's point was that we tend to judge our loads by their best groups, when really we should looking at the worst groups as a measure of a load's accuracy.

I'm still digesting this article, but I think it will change my approach to testing for accuracy. Based on my standard test method, my 200 gr RN load was more accurate than the same load with 200 gr SWC from the same source (Bayou Bullets), but match results (which include a LOT more variables!) said otherwise. Research continues!
    G-man*, OD*, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I would shoot this again...if the results were the same, I would adjust that powder charge for the Colt. Then, if it did not improve, I would try a different powder as it will do better than that with the right load.
    G-man* and gatorbait51 like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yep, that's a double. In USPSA matches we ROs carry clear plastic overlays for the popular calibers, and we look for grease rings as evidence of "doubles." Chuck, that's a double. Good work!

BTW, I admit to always looking for the "best" load for competition. Make the appropriate power factor, minimum split times between shots, how many A-zone hits can I get in 5 seconds... you understand. So for all my experimentation recipes in 9mm and .45 ACP over the last couple of years, I'll load up 50 rounds. Chrono 20 rounds, then shoot 3-4 5-round groups and measure them. "Winners" are rounds that meet power factor with a few percent margin and that have the smallest group size.

Well, yesterday I came across an article in a USPSA publication that threw cold water all over my 5-shot group methodology. Statistically, I'd be better off shooting 20 rounds at a single target for each "recipe," and judging accuracy that way. Ideally we'd shoot a bunch of 20-round groups, but that's usually not possible for those of us whose lives extend beyond just the loading bench and the range. The author's point was that we tend to judge our loads by their best groups, when really we should looking at the worst groups as a measure of a load's accuracy.

I'm still digesting this article, but I think it will change my approach to testing for accuracy. Based on my standard test method, my 200 gr RN load was more accurate than the same load with 200 gr SWC from the same source (Bayou Bullets), but match results (which include a LOT more variables!) said otherwise. Research continues!
    When I shoot IDPA, I’m usually close to the bottom as far as score goes. Ya gotta get up and work hard to do worse than me.

Im disappointed in all the gamers. When I shoot stages, I always do stuff nobody else is doing like shoot with one hand, shoot while moving ect... I like to have fun, and use it for practice. All my draws are from concealment, even during stages where you can draw from the open. I carry my mags in the back pocket too, lol.

Screw it. I look at it as a practice opportunity.

I figure the squad I’m shooting with figures I pretty much suck, but the last few times I have shot the last stage with zero points down just to make them wonder , lol.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Shooting through the same hole time and time again only causes the kind of uncertainty and stress that you are experiencing now. I try to avoid this problem by scattering my shots across the target.
    I kinda do the same thing. All my 1911s are equipped with Shot Randomizers, which help in avoiding this annoying problem.
    Most times they work a little too well. This particular day they weren't working especially well.

- testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    I would shoot this again...if the results were the same, I would adjust that powder charge for the Colt. Then, if it did not improve, I would try a different powder as it will do better than that with the right load.
    Ah, that Colt is just fine for its intended purpose. I consider that a good group, well within what one would expect of a 1911 at 25 yards; especially offhand with a Commander length barrel and that lightweight frame. I’m sure it is capable of better if I knuckled down on it.

I like to keep it simple: 1 load for all!
    Shootnlead, Cuda66, WC145 and 7 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Shooting through the same hole time and time again only causes the kind of uncertainty and stress that you are experiencing now. I try to avoid this problem by scattering my shots across the target.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    I kinda do the same thing. All my 1911s are equipped with Shot Randomizers, which help in avoiding this annoying problem.
    Most times they work a little too well. This particular day they weren't working especially well.

You continually crack me up Charlie!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

I think you can shoot better than me and that is two hits in near the same hole.
    G-man* and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    When I shot IPSC in Ontario, Canada. My go-to load was 5.2g of 700X pushing a cast 200g Hensley and Gibbs Semi-Wadcutter. My go-to gun! a 1913 1911, accurized by a Gunsmith I have forgotten the name of! I will be 84 next month! What memory? Remembered. Al Dinon! He was killed in a Jeep accident.

This Colt was stolen from the owner (a friend of mine) by teen thieves, buried in a sock in one of these young men's gardens, found by the Police, returned to the owner. Slight rust on the slide, tiny rust spot inside the barrel.

The owner was a perfectionist! Did not want this marred pistol. I said "Let me shoot it" 5 rounds of my re-loads at 20M in my indoor club range! One ragged hole! Had my Gunsmith take the S&W revolver adjustable sights off, go to combat sights. And reblue it. Paid $60.00 Canadian for it! $12 American. (A Joke said he receiving his Old Age pension in Canadian funds!)

I asked the Colt Rep at an IPSC match in the USA "This is most likely the oldest Colt 1911 at the match?" He had verified the age from his LapTop. He said it was the oldest Colt 1911 in use in this Sport in the USA!

Then had it stolen from me, Pro Thieves, cut the Door off my Ex Brinks 1700lb Safe, whilst we were away on holiday, out of the Country. They gained access via my 17th-floor balcony! Coming down from the top 18th floor.
    On a Canadian winters night! No, it was not recovered.

Knocking the motion detector alarm off the ceiling on entry.

Reference the elongated hole on the target? Definitely a double, no question.
    Bad Bob, OD* and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    When I shot IPSC in Ontario, Canada. My go-to load was 5.2g of 700X pushing a cast 200g Hensley and Gibbs Semi-Wadcutter. My go-to gun! a 1913 1911, accurized by a Gunsmith I have forgotten the name of! I will be 84 next month! What memory? Remembered. Al Dinon! He was killed in a Jeep accident.

This Colt was stolen from the owner (a friend of mine) by teen thieves, buried in a sock in one of these young men's gardens, found by the Police, returned to the owner. Slight rust on the slide, tiny rust spot inside the barrel.

The owner was a perfectionist! Did not want this marred pistol. I said "Let me shoot it" 5 rounds of my re-loads at 20M in my indoor club range! One ragged hole! Had my Gunsmith take the S&W revolver adjustable sights off, go to combat sights. And reblue it. Paid $60.00 Canadian for it! $12 American. (A Joke said he receiving his Old Age pension in Canadian funds!)

I asked the Colt Rep at an IPSC match in the USA "This is most likely the oldest Colt 1911 at the match?" He had verified the age from his LapTop. He said it was the oldest Colt 1911 in use in this Sport in the USA!

Then had it stolen from me, Pro Thieves, cut the Door off my Ex Brinks 1700lb Safe, whilst we were away on holiday, out of the Country. They gained access via my 17th-floor balcony! Coming down from the top 18th floor.
    On a Canadian winters night! No, it was not recovered.

Knocking the motion detector alarm off the ceiling on entry.

Reference the elongated hole on the target? Definitely a double, no question.
    One of my friends here occasionally shoots a WWI 1911 in IDPA. I don't know how old it is but does not have the finger recess in the grip frame. The only thing done was to change the recoil spring and use modern magazines.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

What does the membership think?
    Looks like that left hole is elongated a little.

Two rounds, same hole.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Of course you already knew the answer (nice shooting). My question is, are those custom-made paper plates that are 24" in diameter??
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    Of course you already knew the answer (nice shooting). My question is, are those custom-made paper plates that are 24" in diameter??
    No, I really wasn’t sure; I was hoping, and thought it so, but not sure.

Not sure what you mean by 24”?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Looks larger than the single holes to me, double.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links