Why? Why do I do it? - Page 3

Why? Why do I do it?

This is a discussion on Why? Why do I do it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Some people like to hate on polymer guns. From an aesthetic perspective, I get it. But we donít fly in aircraft ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Why? Why do I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Some people like to hate on polymer guns. From an aesthetic perspective, I get it. But we donít fly in aircraft made with wood and doped fabric anymore, so...thereís something to be said for more modern materials.
    True but if you have ever been to the air races where they are cruising those piston driven WWII fighters just off the deck you realize that the "modern" stuff just doesn't give you the same feeling. They both fly certainly but,, one is just a hell of a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    True but if you have ever been to the air races where they are cruising those piston driven WWII fighters just off the deck you realize that the "modern" stuff just doesn't give you the same feeling. They both fly certainly but,, one is just a hell of a lot more fun.
    Bet an F-16 wouldn't have much trouble shooting one down....
    forester58 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Bet an F-16 wouldn't have much trouble shooting one down....
    Bet your right but a polymer gun is not an F-16 more like a C-182. It works and that's all which most often is enough for most of us.
    Wavygravy and Chaplain Scott like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Sorry for the complex answer.
    No, that was perfect. Thank you.
    OldChap likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Because you're caught up in the rampant consumerism that plagues America today. Your brain actually releases endorphins everytime you buy a new toy. Then the feeling goes away and you need a new toy to get the feeling back.
    That sounds like a plausible explanation as good as any other...lol
    Cypher likes this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    That sounds like a plausible explanation as good as any other...lol
    They're actually is solid science behind it.

I do the same thing but I do it with books instead of guns
    Chief1297 likes this.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Because you're caught up in the rampant consumerism that plagues America today. Your brain actually releases endorphins everytime you buy a new toy. Then the feeling goes away and you need a new toy to get the feeling back.
    I think that there is a bit more to it than just the consumerism. The consumerism IS a factor, but some of it is a bit deeper. Those of us on this forum and many others, mostly Cops and Veterans, have a particular world view about the potential dangers out there. The Liberal Progressives call us Paranoid Ammosexuals. We call them "Sheep." We probably over-estimate the dangers and we know that they underestimate the dangers out there. But, truth be told, our guns DO provide us with a sense of security....we know that the predators who would target us, may be faster and stronger than us, or out-number us, and our guns give us an advantage....this increases as we get older and appear to become easier prey and having a gun that we "feel" is more adequate in some way adds to that sense of security.

We buy guns, ammo and holsters and train for the events that we pray never happens. In that quest, we have learned to appreciate some of the qualities of the guns that we train with and rely upon. And as we gain experience our "tastes" become more refined, or perhaps just "defined" more. How often do we look at one model of gun (or car or truck) over another because there is just some indefinable "something" about that particular object that attracts us?

Then there are the objective realities: While I love my 1911s, I clearly remember my first time on a $40,000 video firearms simulator in my Academy....I had a couple of "shoot" exercises and was amazed at how fast you can empty 7 rounds out of a 1911 under stress....I was empty, while my buddies carrying Glocks still had another 8 rounds left. One of the other realities is the effects of aging/medical conditions versus the weight of the guns we want to carry. Now, when considering a gun, the dang WEIGHT is as important as the round count.

Last on my list of objective realities is the "feel" of the gun in the hand, and this brings me back to the OPs original question about the Glock 30s. I have one, I like it and shoot it pretty well. I bought it primarily because of the weight factor while still giving me 10 rounds of .45. It carries nicely....I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck for IWB and a Kramer for OWB. I also carried it for a few years as a duty back-up gun (it fit real nicely in an external pocket on my vest carrier). Then I discovered the Sig P320 series. The Sig P320 just fits my hand better. It "Feels" better and I shoot it better.

So, OP, if you like the FEEL of the 30s, by all means, pick it up. If you aren't going to pass it on to your kids, well, your wife can sell it after you are gone......
    norcalAF and airslot like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I think that there is a bit more to it than just the consumerism. The consumerism IS a factor, but some of it is a bit deeper. Those of us on this forum and many others, mostly Cops and Veterans, have a particular world view about the potential dangers out there. The Liberal Progressives call us Paranoid Ammosexuals. We call them "Sheep." We probably over-estimate the dangers and we know that they underestimate the dangers out there. But, truth be told, our guns DO provide us with a sense of security....we know that the predators who would target us, may be faster and stronger than us, or out-number us, and our guns give us an advantage....this increases as we get older and appear to become easier prey and having a gun that we "feel" is more adequate in some way adds to that sense of security.

We buy guns, ammo and holsters and train for the events that we pray never happens. In that quest, we have learned to appreciate some of the qualities of the guns that we train with and rely upon. And as we gain experience our "tastes" become more refined, or perhaps just "defined" more. How often do we look at one model of gun (or car or truck) over another because there is just some indefinable "something" about that particular object that attracts us?

Then there are the objective realities: While I love my 1911s, I clearly remember my first time on a $40,000 video firearms simulator in my Academy....I had a couple of "shoot" exercises and was amazed at how fast you can empty 7 rounds out of a 1911 under stress....I was empty, while my buddies carrying Glocks still had another 8 rounds left. One of the other realities is the effects of aging/medical conditions versus the weight of the guns we want to carry. Now, when considering a gun, the dang WEIGHT is as important as the round count.

Last on my list of objective realities is the "feel" of the gun in the hand, and this brings me back to the OPs original question about the Glock 30s. I have one, I like it and shoot it pretty well. I bought it primarily because of the weight factor while still giving me 10 rounds of .45. It carries nicely....I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck for IWB and a Kramer for OWB. I also carried it for a few years as a duty back-up gun (it fit real nicely in an external pocket on my vest carrier). Then I discovered the Sig P320 series. The Sig P320 just fits my hand better. It "Feels" better and I shoot it better.

So, OP, if you like the FEEL of the 30s, by all means, pick it up. If you aren't going to pass it on to your kids, well, your wife can sell it after you are gone......
    Very well stated, it's hard to quantify to my wife who, bless her heart, lives most of life in condition white. Before my my military service, I was in the Boy Scouts, attaining Eagle Scout. I grew up on a rural farm where there were frequent reminders of the fragility of life, my wife had much less experience with such things. Through the Scouts and my time on Active Duty during multiple deployments the awareness of that fragility increased. With the trend of urban society nowadays, it is prudent to have every tool at your disposal should the need arise. I am firmly in the mindset of it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. That said, I like my G30 very much, it's a smaller lighter package than my P220 Carry, and the compatibility with G21 mags is great. I will admit though, my G26 sees more holster time.

Go buy a 30S. I found one in a local pawn shop for a good price and picked it up. Took it out and did a side by side with my M&P Compact .45. Preferred the 30S. But I'm mostly a Glock and 1911 shooter (although I've gotten into the H&K VP series recently).

Buy, try, sell if you don't like it. I do it all the time.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Don't own one but have handled a G19 and I have a sight picture instantly, no aiming at all. Would love to shoot one, but then might be tempted to buy it. So not understanding how you have issues with some Glocks but not the 30s. Aren't they all about the same, ergonomically speaking?
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links