Why? Why do I do it?

Why? Why do I do it?

This is a discussion on Why? Why do I do it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...My child is grown and gone and has really no interest in "guns". I have a few handguns that I love and a shotgun and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Why? Why do I do it?

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar

Why? Why do I do it?

OK...My child is grown and gone and has really no interest in "guns". I have a few handguns that I love and a shotgun and a rifle. My 1911's are a pleasure to shoot along with my revolvers. You would think that with no one to get them when I am gone, i would be satisfied with the guns I have. I have never been a glock fan nor had any interest in Glocks. I have shot them and could never get on target without specifically aiming with the sights. It just sits differently in my hand than all my other weapons. They are way to fat in the hand to be comfortable....

Imagine my surprise when I pick up the Glock 30s this weekend and really like the feel of it in my hand. Imagine a 10 round 45 which could be carried easier than my 7 round 1911 full size and much lighter to?? I gave it back to the counter lady but I really didnt want to...I guess according to the wife, I have to pay off my next cruise first...lol.

I am one that research's all of my gun purchases to death. Tell me about your carry experiences with the glock 30S..I don tknow why I keep visiting my local gun stores...!!!
    Rabbit212, OD*, ETXhiker and 9 others like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I own a 30sf and I say buy it! I too love shooting my 1911s, but my 30, for a carry gun is a better shooter.
    We get the government we deserve.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    OK...My child is grown and gone and has really no interest in "guns". I have a few handguns that I love and a shotgun and a rifle. My 1911's are a pleasure to shoot along with my revolvers. You would think that with no one to get them when I am gone, i would be satisfied with the guns I have. I have never been a glock fan nor had any interest in Glocks. I have shot them and could never get on target without specifically aiming with the sights. It just sits differently in my hand than all my other weapons. They are way to fat in the hand to be comfortable....

Imagine my surprise when I pick up the Glock 30s this weekend and really like the feel of it in my hand. Imagine a 10 round 45 which could be carried easier than my 7 round 1911 full size and much lighter to?? I gave it back to the counter lady but I really didnt want to...I guess according to the wife, I have to pay off my next cruise first...lol.

I am one that research's all of my gun purchases to death. Tell me about your carry experiences with the glock 30S..I don tknow why I keep visiting my local gun stores...!!!
    Hopefully that craziness will pass.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Because you can.

I have the G30, have handled the G30SF and couldn't tell a noticeable difference in the grip (Your hand may differ), but haven't held the G30S--yet. I really don't see the advantage of the 30S over the other two. While the slide may be a fraction of an inch slimmer, it's still the same old, double-stack grip shoved into the waistband, so I don't see where it's any "slimmer" for carrying.

But people buy what they like, so if you like it...
    OldChap, Havok, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a G30S and a G36. The 36 is noticeably slimmer, and a bit lighter fully loaded, since it is a single stack, but both are very easily concealable. The 30S is my go to carry when I'm not carrying the Shield 45. The main advantage of the 30S is capacity. I carry two spare mags from the G21 which allows 37 rounds total.

The 30S carries very well in either OWB (using my belt outside method), IWB using a Vedder LightTuck, or in a shoulder holster. It is a very soft shooting gun - I actually feel less recoil than the same load in my 1911. It is a very nice and versatile carry piece.

And one other benefit. You can get a Lone Wolf Alpha Wolf barrel (threaded if you want an extra inch of velocity) and run .45 Super in it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

30sf all the way shoots great carry well and using 21 mags is a big + .. Issue I have with the 36 is the mag ..They are unique to that gun and the non flush base plate messes with me ...
    rotorhead1026 and OldChap like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    What’s the availability/cost of 45 Super if you do not hand load?
    OldChap likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

I carry my G30 with the flush 9 round mag. As concealable as other baby Glocks, and I feel 9 rounds of 45 compares well to 11 rounds of 9mm in a G26 or 10 rounds of 40 in a G27. G21 mag as a reload, which I load with 12 rounds for more positive lockup.

Every time I get to thinking of a purty 1911, I go shoot my G30...and the itch passes real fast.

Careful, or you too might get assimilated...
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

I love my G30 gen 4, but now I'm looking for a G29 to go with it! It's a nice size package for ten rounds of .45 ACP. Conceals AIWB easily with the flush 9 round mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    What’s the availability/cost of 45 Super if you do not hand load?
    Just me, but I only shoot the absolute minimum number of Super rounds to guarantee functionality, POA/POI, those kind of things. That keeps the cost down, as I can just insert a magazine of standard .45 ACP and practice without touching anything on the gun.

I use Underwood 230's in the gun on the nightstand, or around the house. I might not have been very clear (weak coffee), but the 30S is always carried with regular ACP. Only the G21 gets loaded with Supers. I am saving for an Alpha Wolf threaded barrel for the 30S, so maybe one day I'll carry it with some Supers.
    MMinSC and Bigsteve113 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Just me, but I only shoot the absolute minimum number of Super rounds to guarantee functionality, POA/POI, those kind of things. That keeps the cost down, as I can just insert a magazine of standard .45 ACP and practice without touching anything on the gun.

I use Underwood 230's in the gun on the nightstand, or around the house. I might not have been very clear (weak coffee), but the 30S is always carried with regular ACP. Only the G21 gets loaded with Supers. I am saving for an Alpha Wolf threaded barrel for the 30S, so maybe one day I'll carry it with some Supers.
    Ah....that makes sense.....thanks for clarifying! You Sir, are a wealth of information!
    OldChap likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

You're welcome Sir.

I might look old and wise when I look in the mirror, but Mrs OldChap knows full well that just beneath the surface lurks an 8 year old boy!

Ive owned a Glock 30 and it was a good shooting gun. At this point, if I were to buy a 45acp carry gun, I fee like the Shield 45 is a tough act to beat.
    OldChap and Chief1297 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post

I have a 30SF. I also have a Colt Defender (3" 1911). I tend to shoot the Glock better than the Colt. With that being said, I carry the Defender more, as I haven't found the right holster for the 30. When I do carry the Glock, it's in a Bianchi foldaway, whereas I can carry the Defender in a Bianchi PI with my belt outside to keep it tight against my hip. Net result, I like my 30SF, and carry it when I'm not as worried about printing, but will carry it more once I get the right holster. I still have yet to get some 21 magazines for it.
    Chief1297 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links