The darker side of striker fired handguns - Page 3

The darker side of striker fired handguns

This is a discussion on The darker side of striker fired handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rooster It doesn't, it feels lighter due to the smooth take up and solid clean break . There's no creep or grit ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: The darker side of striker fired handguns

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    It doesn't, it feels lighter due to the smooth take up and solid clean break. There's no creep or grit what so ever.

I see all these people barking the PPQ has a light trigger yet it's pull weight is right in the same area as every other big name polymer striker. I don't know why people keep spouting this myth.

PPQ: 5.6lbs
    VP9: 5.4lbs
    Glock: 5.5lbs
    This is correct. I see people talking about the too light trigger on the PPQ. I have three PPQs and a Lyman trigger gauge. The Qs trigger is very smooth, but on the trigger scale each of them is right in there with my Glock 19s and VP9s. The oldest one, a Classic with paddles releases, is 2/10s lighter than my Glock 19s, which is nothing in terms of pull weight.

The Qs trigger is similar to the old Nike Pro Combat sleeveless tee shirts which advertised themselves as "Fitted not Tight". The PPQ trigger is "Smooth not Light". It just feels lighter because it is so smooth.
    Last edited by Litespeed; October 10th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Rooster and Rockymonster like this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

I have been around H&K's for about 35 years. They are fine firearms. I carried either a USP/c or P2000 for about 15 years on/off duty. I shot them competitively. My duty gun I had over 15,000 rounds thru it. When I retired I sold my H&K's (the P2000 was issue so went back to the agency). I found that while just as reliable, the Glock was easier to work on ( I am an H&K armorer), easier to make good hits with and easier to carry as it is smaller and lighter while having a higher capacity.
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I'm kind of on the same journey right now. I've been shooting and carrying Glocks since 1991. With all these new striker fired pistols coming out, I wanted to see if anything was "better". I bought a couple of M&P's, but don't shoot them that well. I also tried the Gen 5 Glocks, but really don't like the blockiness of the frame.

I picked-up a used VP9 and really liked the feel. Being a lefty, it was nice having a mag release & slide stop I could hit with my thumb. I kind of went all in on this, as I've now got the VP9SK, VP40, and will be picking up another used VP9 on Monday.

I'm not going to stop carry Glocks, as I probably shoot them just as well. The VP's will get into the carry rotation.

But my favorite are 1911's with a good trigger. They make me look like a good shooter. And my current gold standard is the new STI Staccato-P. If you really want to look like a good shooter, it's worth every penny of your 2000 dollars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

There is a dark side. So I bought a VP9, then a USP Compact, then a Mark23, then a P30. I carry the P30 now. I would carry the Mark23 if I could. I don't know what it is about them, they are all real comfortable to shoot in their own way. Never had one issue with any either, and I've run every type of ammo available through them.

My son has got more guns than I know about. He's a Glock and Walther guy, During a visit last year, we went to the range and he couldn't put my VP9 down.
    glock19er and Rockymonster like this.

I was kinda like the OP. Resisted HK but it was futile. Finally came to the Dark Side when i found the vp9sk. Love the gun, and i shoot it better than anything i own. I carry it and have a PPQ classic for home defense

A couple of years ago I was at the range when one of the range employees, off duty, came in with his own guns, one of which was a VP9. He made me shoot it (you know how that goes), and I immediately put 10 rounds (this was mag-restricted CT) into a ragged hole the size of a silver dollar at 25 feet. What a sweet, sweet pistol. If I was looking for a full size gun, that would probably be it.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    There is a dark side. So I bought a VP9, then a USP Compact, then a Mark23, then a P30. I carry the P30 now. I would carry the Mark23 if I could. I don't know what it is about them, they are all real comfortable to shoot in their own way. Never had one issue with any either, and I've run every type of ammo available through them.

My son has got more guns than I know about. He's a Glock and Walther guy, During a visit last year, we went to the range and he couldn't put my VP9 down.
    If I were to go HK, it would be the P30 or P30sk....
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

If Glocks and H&K VP9's are both polymer and striker fired where does the dark side connotation come from?
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    If I were to go HK, it would be the P30 or P30sk....
    i wanted to like the p30sk, i really did. i think that LEM trigger makes a lot of sense. i just couldn't get used to it. i felt like i could have learned it and maybe gotten pretty good if i didn't have such an investment in other systems, and i don't train enough to get good at this gun and others that are really different. part of me wishes i had found the p30sk first and learned on it, but c'est la vie, as they say in Hawaii. i decided to let the gun go and concentrate on what i already knew. or rather, what i'm only moderately bad at...
    Chief1297 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeman View Post
    i wanted to like the p30sk, i really did. i think that LEM trigger makes a lot of sense. i just couldn't get used to it. i felt like i could have learned it and maybe gotten pretty good if i didn't have such an investment in other systems, and i don't train enough to get good at this gun and others that are really different. part of me wishes i had found the p30sk first and learned on it, but c'est la vie, as they say in Hawaii. i decided to let the gun go and concentrate on what i already knew. or rather, what i'm only moderately bad at...
    Thank God we live in a country were you dont have to settle. I really do like a weapon with a visible hammer...I would most likely stick with the DA/SA version but I will admit to never having shot one in that mode. It would take as much training with that than I have with my 1911 to become proficient with it. Like you, I dont have to change. Maybe as I age and cant handle the 45 any longer, it might become a possibility. Who knows. I would love to shoot one though. So many choices, so little time or money...lol
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

yeah, at least i'm barely smart enough to realize it's better to be kinda bad at one thing rather than being really bad at everything. i liked the hammer on it for holstering. i liked the light trigger (i had a V1). but the trigger pull was just so long i couldn't adapt to it. meh; find what ya like and stick with it. i'm happy with what i have now
    Last edited by smokeman; November 7th, 2019 at 01:25 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links