The darker side of striker fired handguns

This is a discussion on The darker side of striker fired handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I always enjoy teling stories of my experiences with various firearms and this one is definitely no exception given the events that lead up ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: The darker side of striker fired handguns

First, I always enjoy teling stories of my experiences with various firearms and this one is definitely no exception given the events that lead up to me posting this thread,

I was pretty well set in my ways for over a decade that it really couldn't get much better than Glock when it comes to a modern striker fired semi automatic pistol. I spent thousands of hours and rounds of ammo on Glock and became familiar with everything about the brand. I've tried other comparable designs from companies like Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and Springfield Armory with their rebadged HS2000. I carried a Glock 19 in pretty much every conceivable manner possible then went to the more recently released smaller offerings like the G43 and G43X. Still, I thought Glock was the choice for me and it couldn't get any better in spite of my attempts to find something else. Even though I shot Glocks reasonably well, I still found myself having to adjust and readjust my grip while at the range either my G19, G19X, or G43 which was a minor issue but I managed to work with it all these years.

Then in 2016 I met a buddy who is originally from Germany and migrated over to the US when he was a kid with his parents. Right off the bat I found out he was also into shooting and has prior military combat experience, he told me he despised Glocks and everything about them. That didn't phase me one bit or somehow make me rethink my choice for Glock. I ended up letting him shoot a Gen 4 G19 and more recently the G43 and G43X. Eventually, at least in his eyes Glock had made some improvements over the years and grew to respect and trust what I've come to bet my life on since 2007. He does carry with him a bit of German pride and swears up and down by a gun make that I've considered to be largely too expensive for my taste even though I've easily spent a couple to a few hundred dollars more on other guns without flinching and that brand is Heckler & Koch.

A couple years ago this close friend and I were at a gun shop browsing around and the H&K VP9 had been out for at least a couple years which from my understanding is their second striker fired handgun. At first I thought "Just an overpriced Glock with some obvious design differences." He swore up and down and all around that it was the best feeling handgun he'd ever put in his hands and was hell bent on getting one eventually. That eventual time came and he ended up getting one this past weekend at a gun show. I've fondled it off and on in gun stores and couldn't disagree that it is in fact a great feeling piece in the hands. I was surprised it came at a more affordable price point than most H&K handguns on the market right now. It was at most $150.00-$200.00 more than what I've spent on a Glock 17, Glock 19, or even my Glock 19X which for a H&K isn't bad at all.

The day my buddy bought his VP9 we went back to his place and I had the chance to really fondle it, field strip it, and work the action a bit. I was stunned at how smooth the slide was and even favored the paddle magazine release over the push button release I am most accustomed to. There literally wasn't many bad things I could say in terms of asthetic appearance and the trigger reset was quite nice. I can only describe it as being between a Glock and M&P. Its not as heavily noticeable like on a Glock but just enough to know I can pull the trigger again and fire without fully releasing the trigger. I did that quite a bit on the SA XD and M&P pistols which is why I bought and sold them without too much regret. I knew I was holding a quality gun made by a company known for supplying elite LE and military units across the world.

Yesterday we went out and shot his VP9 and after I went through my first magazine, my set ways with Glock I think have changed forever. To make a long and to be honest a bit agonizing story short, I fell in love with the VP9. I've shot a small number of striker fired handguns but none have impressed me as much as the Heckler & Koch VP9. My initial reaction after firing my first magazine was like accepting defeat where another striker fired semi auto knocked my beloved Glock 19 that I've trusted for so long into second place in my top choices for an all around defensive handgun. After we were done shooting for the day I made a trip to a nearby gun store and picked up my very own Heckler & Koch VP9 with night sights and three magazines. For most of the day we couldn't stop raving about the gun. Not once did I have to readjust my grip while shooting the gun and I do in fact shoot it better than the Glock. No other striker fired semi auto other than the Glock 19 has impressed me this much.

Funny how I got my shooting buddy to respect and trust Glock as much as I have all these years and he opened my eyes up to the world of H&K which with the VP9 I call the "Darker side"

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The VP9 is certainly a most superb handgun and I have two of them including one of the LE versions like your own with night sights. Of the too many handguns I own or have owned over the decades only the PPQ feels as good in the hand as the VP9. I like my Glock 19s, but whenever I have shot them for a couple of hundred rounds at the range and then pull out one of my VP9s to shoot, it always brings a smile to my face. The Glock 19s are good tools, but the VP9 is a much more refined tool in my opinion.

Of all the HKs that I've handled or shot only the H&K P30 rivals the feel of the VP9. I like the feel of P30 just barely a teeny bit better, but will never buy one because of the terrible triggers on that handgun.

Enjoy your VP9 as it is an excellent example of a striker fired handgun.
    SubNine, Rockymonster and Mjolnir like this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Paging @Militant .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I (translated my wife) have a VP9SK...it kind of scares me how nice it is. She is not carrying yet. I really need to get a holster for it and look after it for her.
    Militant and ETXhiker like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    First, I always enjoy teling stories of my experiences with various firearms and this one is definitely no exception given the events that lead up to me posting this thread,

I was pretty well set in my ways for over a decade that it really couldn't get much better than Glock when it comes to a modern striker fired semi automatic pistol. I spent thousands of hours and rounds of ammo on Glock and became familiar with everything about the brand. I've tried other comparable designs from companies like Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and Springfield Armory with their rebadged HS2000. I carried a Glock 19 in pretty much every conceivable manner possible then went to the more recently released smaller offerings like the G43 and G43X. Still, I thought Glock was the choice for me and it couldn't get any better in spite of my attempts to find something else. Even though I shot Glocks reasonably well, I still found myself having to adjust and readjust my grip while at the range either my G19, G19X, or G43 which was a minor issue but I managed to work with it all these years.

Then in 2016 I met a buddy who is originally from Germany and migrated over to the US when he was a kid with his parents. Right off the bat I found out he was also into shooting and has prior military combat experience, he told me he despised Glocks and everything about them. That didn't phase me one bit or somehow make me rethink my choice for Glock. I ended up letting him shoot a Gen 4 G19 and more recently the G43 and G43X. Eventually, at least in his eyes Glock had made some improvements over the years and grew to respect and trust what I've come to bet my life on since 2007. He does carry with him a bit of German pride and swears up and down by a gun make that I've considered to be largely too expensive for my taste even though I've easily spent a couple to a few hundred dollars more on other guns without flinching and that brand is Heckler & Koch.

A couple years ago this close friend and I were at a gun shop browsing around and the H&K VP9 had been out for at least a couple years which from my understanding is their second striker fired handgun. At first I thought "Just an overpriced Glock with some obvious design differences." He swore up and down and all around that it was the best feeling handgun he'd ever put in his hands and was hell bent on getting one eventually. That eventual time came and he ended up getting one this past weekend at a gun show. I've fondled it off and on in gun stores and couldn't disagree that it is in fact a great feeling piece in the hands. I was surprised it came at a more affordable price point than most H&K handguns on the market right now. It was at most $150.00-$200.00 more than what I've spent on a Glock 17, Glock 19, or even my Glock 19X which for a H&K isn't bad at all.

The day my buddy bought his VP9 we went back to his place and I had the chance to really fondle it, field strip it, and work the action a bit. I was stunned at how smooth the slide was and even favored the paddle magazine release over the push button release I am most accustomed to. There literally wasn't many bad things I could say in terms of asthetic appearance and the trigger reset was quite nice. I can only describe it as being between a Glock and M&P. Its not as heavily noticeable like on a Glock but just enough to know I can pull the trigger again and fire without fully releasing the trigger. I did that quite a bit on the SA XD and M&P pistols which is why I bought and sold them without too much regret. I knew I was holding a quality gun made by a company known for supplying elite LE and military units across the world.

Yesterday we went out and shot his VP9 and after I went through my first magazine, my set ways with Glock I think have changed forever. To make a long and to be honest a bit agonizing story short, I fell in love with the VP9. I've shot a small number of striker fired handguns but none have impressed me as much as the Heckler & Koch VP9. My initial reaction after firing my first magazine was like accepting defeat where another striker fired semi auto knocked my beloved Glock 19 that I've trusted for so long into second place in my top choices for an all around defensive handgun. After we were done shooting for the day I made a trip to a nearby gun store and picked up my very own Heckler & Koch VP9 with night sights and three magazines. For most of the day we couldn't stop raving about the gun. Not once did I have to readjust my grip while shooting the gun and I do in fact shoot it better than the Glock. No other striker fired semi auto other than the Glock 19 has impressed me this much.

Funny how I got my shooting buddy to respect and trust Glock as much as I have all these years and he opened my eyes up to the world of H&K which with the VP9 I call the "Darker side"

1st....Congratulations on your new piece.

2nd....Nothing wrong with still loving your Glocks. They are very nice pieces as well. I have a G19 Gen5.

3rd....I've solely carried HK's for years and my VP9 and VP9sk along with my USP Compact 9mm are my favorite 9's from HK.

ENJOY!!
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Paging @Militant .
    You called???????

Rooster, OldChap, airslot and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Nice story. H&K make fine weapons. I, too, find the paddle release superior to the button release - which is why my carry weapons are P99AS and PPS from Walther. Next, try the P99AS (if you can find one) or the more modern PPQ and you will see that they, like H&K, are fine weapons and have incredibly superior triggers from the factory. Can Cajun Gun Works turn a Glock trigger into a great trigger? Yes. But why spend all that when you can just order a weapon with that good a trigger stock? Ah well, welcome to the world beyond Glock. We've been waiting for you.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Excellent choice!! You have made your way..... To the Dark Side!!
    Militant and SubNine like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    I have never shot a VP9, but I handled one in the store and it really felt good in the hand. Dang. Here we go again...
    airslot likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    My son has A VP9, and I have a PPQ and a PPQ SC. I consider all three to be excellent firearms.

Congrats on the move to the Dark Side!
    Litespeed and Militant like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    My son has A VP9, and I have a PPQ and a PPQ SC. I consider all three to be excellent firearms.

Congrats on the move to the Dark Side!
    The Walther PPQ is outstanding! I have a PPQ "classic" (paddle mag release) and a PPS "classic (paddle mag release). I enjoy and carry both of them frequently!

The darker side of striker fired handguns-29efccd5-0ce1-4b1c-934e-2caeec480658.jpeg
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    The Walther PPQ is outstanding! I have a PPQ "classic" (paddle mag release) and a PPS "classic (paddle mag release). I enjoy and carry both of them frequently!
    Enjoy that PPS classic bud, I'm jelly. Can't track one down to save my life and I can only ever find the M2.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    It certainly is another one in the plethora of great striker fired guns available to us. With guns being very subjective as to our preferences, anatomy and such...variety is a good thing. As for me, I have already found my "VP9" in another gun.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

The VP9 is HK's third striker design released.

First was the VP70; second was the P7 (including all variants).

As for the rest...I had a buddy who is a die-hard Glockophile shoot my VP9 when I first got it...his response was, simply...”so this is what you get when you let a Glock 19 fully gestate....”
    drmordo, SubNine, Nix and 1 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links