Striker control device for Glock - Page 6

Striker control device for Glock

This is a discussion on Striker control device for Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SpringerXD The lack of a manual safety is the main reason I've never owned a Glock and don't plan to. Like I've ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree301Likes

Thread: Striker control device for Glock

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    The lack of a manual safety is the main reason I've never owned a Glock and don't plan to. Like I've always said, the trigger "safety" isn't one as far as I'm concerned, because if my finger is on the trigger.....

I have four XD's, different models and all in .45. But if they didn't have the grip safety, I would look elsewhere.
    I see the Striker Control Device as getting you the same level of safety as the XD grip safety, in a slightly different way. Instead of lifting the palm away from the grip safety slightly as you guide the gun into your holster, the very same action has you with the thumb on the SCD.

(And yes, I have 2 XD-s and 2 XDSes, and one Glock, equipped with SCD.)

I have been involved in after action investigations as well. I have seen cops shoot themselves in the butt with double action revolvers. Everything you do to idiot proof something creates another failure point and the true idiots are immune anyway.
    You could just not have your finger by the trigger, but that would be too simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    This is my safety.....unfortunately your safety is being run by your brain. Brain fog, brain fart, mental fatigue, adrenaline dump or any number of things can make your safety....well not that safe.
    Then there is "my safety is between my ears" uh huh how many times has that guy let you down over the years??
    Lol rant over, heck I dont even own a glock!!!! But if I did I would install this device on it.
    What I worry most about is the "brain fart". Over familiarity, a moment's inattention, BOOM! Anything technological that helps head that off, is good.

Installing a Striker Control Device on my G19 was what tipped me over to actually (sometimes) carrying it.
    Holmes375, Talldog and Rabbit212 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The most clueful people I know don't need an SCD, haven't needed an SCD nor ever will need one to reholster a glock safely.
    I don't know that I need an SCD but I do prefer having one. Until someone shows me a distinct downside I'll probably continue feeling that way.

The only Glocks I carry any more are my G42s. They may be in a pants pocket, coat pocket, OWB at the hip or AIWB. Both have an SCD.
    Talldog and AzQkr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I suppose I shouldnít make absolute statements, however, with most of this stuff, Iíd say in situations where you canít verify that your holster is clear, youíre probably not in a position where you should be holstering your gun.
    I don't think its unrealistic. For example: you are attacked. You draw your weapon, the attacker puts his hands up. You tell him to get on the ground and hold him at gunpoint until police arrive.

So: the cruiser is now coming up the block. Do you take your eyes off the attacker to holster? Keep the gun in hand? Drop the gun?

IMHO, the safest thing to do is to keep eyes on the attacker while holstering (or, if it's a typical concealment holster that makes it difficult, putting the handgun in your waistband). It's hard to do that safely with a standard Glock.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I don't think its unrealistic. For example: you are attacked. You draw your weapon, the attacker puts his hands up. You tell him to get on the ground and hold him at gunpoint until police arrive.

So: the cruiser is now coming up the block. Do you take your eyes off the attacker to holster? Keep the gun in hand? Drop the gun?

IMHO, the safest thing to do is to keep eyes on the attacker while holstering (or, if it's a typical concealment holster that makes it difficult, putting the handgun in your waistband). It's hard to do that safely with a standard Glock.
    That sounds like a situation where you either arenít ready to reholsfer or you donít need to be holding them at gunpoint.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    I see the Striker Control Device as getting you the same level of safety as the XD grip safety, in a slightly different way. Instead of lifting the palm away from the grip safety slightly as you guide the gun into your holster, the very same action has you with the thumb on the SCD.
    That's not really where I was coming from about the grip safety. I wasn't talking about holstering. It's just the fact that there's a striker-fired gun in my pocket with one in the pipe. I feel better having some form of manual safety on board.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

That sounds like a situation where you either arenít ready to reholsfer or you donít need to be holding them at gunpoint.
    Well, if police are showing up, at some point one would have to go from holding the gun to not holding the gun. Whenever that happens in the scenario, it seems better to be able to safely holster the gun before police are out of their vehicles, without having to look away from the attacker, than to drop the gun to the ground.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Well, if police are showing up, at some point one would have to go from holding the gun to not holding the gun. Whenever that happens in the scenario, it seems better to be able to safely holster the gun before police are out of their vehicles, without having to look away from the attacker, than to drop the gun to the ground.
    If I were the bad guy and you holstered your gun while police were still down the street. Iíd get up and leave.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    If I were the bad guy and you holstered your gun while police were still down the street. Iíd get up and leave.
    Or walk away anyway. Threat is over and leaving.
    Going to shoot an unarmed person in the back?
    LEO would frown upon witnessing that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    maxwell97 and Havok like this.

He can do that whether the gun's holstered or not.
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Or walk away anyway. Threat is over and leaving.
    Going to shoot an unarmed person in the back?
    LEO would frown upon witnessing that.

Exactly my point.

He can do that whether the gun's holstered or not.
    I would argue up until you decide to holster your gun it depends on your state and situation. Either way, you have decided the threat is over if youíre holstering your gun.
    AzQkr likes this.

If he is that dangerous, you probably want to keep your gun out until he is under control.
    AzQkr, Havok and matthew03 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Wasn't this about a doohickey on a Glock?
    (Sorry for contributing to the sidetrack)

OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    That is perfectly sensible but, people tend to do what is natural and the natural place for your finger is on the trigger. This has been proven even with LEO's who swore they never touched the trigger but, the video showed that most of them had finger on trigger.. subconsciously. So your either a perfect human without error or all those LEO's were idiots?
    No, nobody is perfect. However, if we're talking LEO and current training, I have been on the range with a lot of officer candidates at the Academy. I was never issued a vest, but I can state with absolute certainty that today, I wouldn't get within 500 yards of such a firing line without one - or preferably a ballistic shield. Like most, I was in some scary events, but by far the worst was getting muzzle swept by new officers with either their duty weapon, or worse, fumbling with an unfamiliar weapon while trying to secure it on the street.

I can also state this with a fair degree of certainty. I've been told that prior to the time I joined the force in 2003 a great many candidates were "gun people", that is, they had handled and shot extensively prior to going to the Academy. Since then? Not quite. Of those I asked, probably 70% had never even held a real gun before. With the current "war on police" in full swing, I don't expect the situation has improved.

@Rabbit212 I've only been handling guns for 66 years now. I was taught about the brain being the only trustworthy safety at 5 years old, and my dad stressed that to me every time I shot a gun until the time I left for college. I've stressed it to myself every day since. There are things I have forgotten over the years...even to the point of forgetting my anniversary and some important birthdays, but I've never had my brain fail me. Not once - ever - at least on critical things.

Now maybe one day it will. I can't guarantee anything in this life, but I can tell you that using your brain is absolutely indispensable, whether you're handling a gun, driving a car, flying a plane, or building guidance systems for missiles with nuclear bombs in the nose. When your brain loses it, you're probably well on your way to the grave.
    Rabbit212, AzQkr, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. She will always be terribly missed.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    That's not really where I was coming from about the grip safety. I wasn't talking about holstering. It's just the fact that there's a striker-fired gun in my pocket with one in the pipe. I feel better having some form of manual safety on board.
    You consider the grip safety a "manual safety"?

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    You consider the grip safety a "manual safety"?
    It is isn't it? I mean it has to be depressed for the gun to fire.
    SpringerXD likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links