Browning Hi Power MK 3

Browning Hi Power MK 3

This is a discussion on Browning Hi Power MK 3 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a year of deliberation, and research, I finally went to Gun Broker and started placing bids on a Browning. I noted that most of ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Browning Hi Power MK 3

Browning Hi Power MK 3

After a year of deliberation, and research, I finally went to Gun Broker and started placing bids on a Browning. I noted that most of them currently available were Israeli former LEO Mk2, and all of them looks like they had seen many years of service. I found this one MK3, that had already had a C&S trigger job, and magazine release safety removed, who's owner had passed away, and his estate was being sold. After testing it with 100 rounds, it is now my Church sidearm.

OD*, rock185, jrwhitt and 16 others like this.

Nice find and a beautiful handgun. I dig the wood grips!
    Kilowatt3 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the Hi-Power club! It's the first pistol I purchased for myself at 21 and I still own my Mk II. Beautiful, accurate, and classic. Enjoy!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

What kind of frontstrap checkering does it have? Beautiful firearm.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Beautiful.....

The first 9mm I ever shot was a Hi-Power back in the early ‘70’s. Would love to actually own one some day.....
    gatorbait51 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Beautiful gun!

I'm a huge Hi Power fan. I have a Mk I lightweight, Mk II, and Mk III. All mine are finish challenged, especially the Mk I. I've been researching refinish options and I think the Mk I will end up hard chromed. The Mk II is my daily carry gun these days, though I still break out my revolvers a couple of times a week.

Browning Hi Power MK 3-20190928_181955.jpg

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    What kind of frontstrap checkering does it have? Beautiful firearm.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    That's the serial number that is printed on the front of the grip. All Hi Powers I have seen have that.
    Kilowatt3 and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    After a year of deliberation, and research, I finally went to Gun Broker and started placing bids on a Browning. I noted that most of them currently available were Israeli former LEO Mk2, and all of them looks like they had seen many years of service. I found this one MK3, that had already had a C&S trigger job, and magazine release safety removed, who's owner had passed away, and his estate was being sold. After testing it with 100 rounds, it is now my Church sidearm.

Now that is the way to do high-capacity 9mm!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Beautiful.....

The first 9mm I ever shot was a Hi-Power back in the early ‘70’s. Would love to actually own one some day.....
    First 9mm I ever shot was also a Browning Hi-Power. That was in 1968. The owner carried it in Vietnam when he was in the Army.

My first semi-auto centerfire handgun was a Browning Hi-Power Mark III-S I bought new in 1989. I still own it. Had a gunsmith do some tuning on it in the 90's; trigger work, comp hammer and spring, and some internal polishing. He also fixed so that the magazine would drop free even with the disconnect safety still installed in the gun. It looks like this...

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-mark-iii.html

At one time I had this same gun in .40S&W but wound up selling that one.
    tns0038, msgt/ret, MMinSC and 4 others like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

A very nice find. The High Power was the pistol that opened my eyes to what a handgun could feel like in my hand. Hard to beat as a dependable and well-proven defensive piece.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Nice looking Hi Power they sure do feel well in the hand, picture of a FN marked one from 1980's

Another Hi Power a vet bring back from the Battle of the Bulge WWII Nazi marked FN 1943

NRA Life Member

Its what I carry
    drmordo, gatorbait51 and tns0038 like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    They are all beauties!
    tns0038 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    After a year of deliberation, and research, I finally went to Gun Broker and started placing bids on a Browning. I noted that most of them currently available were Israeli former LEO Mk2, and all of them looks like they had seen many years of service. I found this one MK3, that had already had a C&S trigger job, and magazine release safety removed, who's owner had passed away, and his estate was being sold. After testing it with 100 rounds, it is now my Church sidearm. RS-pq7jmKpxXT3o_7wkGP322FwHBukOGwCDooyxAO9ejM&_nc_ht= scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=d224342299eb9f9198e5a0d7d5bfcc4f&oe=5E2018 16[/IMG]
    Congrats. Like PPS1980 and SoutherBoyVA, my first was a BHP. And, if I could only have one handgun, it would likely be one of these:

drmordo, tns0038, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

I don’t shoot it often but I do enjoy my BHP, it is the only double stack that feels proper in my hand. Those butt ugly rubber grips have been replaced with proper wood grips.

Browning Hi Power MK 3-bhp_r.jpg
    Pete63, Old Man and tns0038 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links