Let me know your experiences with the Glock 42

This is a discussion on Let me know your experiences with the Glock 42 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am assuming by its size that itís a very soft shooting .380. How is concealability? I would be mostly pocket carrying. Iíve heard before ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Let me know your experiences with the Glock 42

Senior Member Array thechriskarel's Avatar

I am assuming by its size that itís a very soft shooting .380. How is concealability? I would be mostly pocket carrying. Iíve heard before that itís right on the edge of comfortable for pocket carry.

If you want a huge .380, I guess it's ok.... It is the size of a 9mm. Why bother?

Compare https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...s-ruger-lcp-ii

Put the flat base plate on the LCP and it's an inch shorter in height, almost an inch shorter in length.
    drmordo and Rooster like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I comfortably pocket carry the G43, so the G42 should be a piece of cake.

Any gun being pocket carried requires a "get used to it" period, regardless of size. If you are committed to pocket carry, you must give it some time before it feels right. Guarantee you that the first time you pocket carry you will swear to God an alien is growing in your pocket. Pay it no mind and tough it out. If you can't pocket carry a G42, you are doing it all wrong.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I'd agree that it is right at the edge of too big for pocket carry. That said, it's nice to have a bit more gun to hang onto - most pocket 380s are tiny. You could load it with hot Underwood ammo and have a pretty hot little pocket gun that doesn't quite reach 9mm power levels.

That said, the trigger is slightly worse than the normal clunky Glock trigger. I put one of the reduced weight connectors in it and it is now pretty much comparable to my G19.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    If you want a huge .380, I guess it's ok.... It is the size of a 9mm. Why bother?

Compare https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...s-ruger-lcp-ii
    It's virtually identical in size to the Kel-tec PF9 in my pocket now. The PF9 also cost ~$160 and has a much better trigger than the Glock.

I bought the G42 for my wife, and I am seriously considering selling it and getting something else.

I picked up a Glock 42 about a month ago for the sole purpose of having a lower recoil option for the recoil sensitive shooters I train. It offers me an in-between from a .22 pistol to a larger 9mm Glock so its not as much of a jump. I agree that's a bit large for pocket carry but it can be done, especially if you wear Wrangler brand Riggs Workwear jeans. Those front pockets are big enough to fit a Buick inside. The coin pocket on the right side is nearly large enough to conceal a Ruger LCP.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

VIP Member
    I tried one out at the range along with a S&W Bodyguard. IMHO itís too large for pocket carry compared to the rest of the small 380s. It shot great, and at first I did better with it than the BG. After a box of shells I could shoot the BG almost as well at 10 yds (YMMV). As already mentioned, there are a number of 9mm offerings the size (or smaller) than the 42 unless recoil is a problem for the carrier.... For pocket carry....Iíd look elsewhere....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.Ē - Joe Lewis

ďIím not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a Ďlittleí dirty.....Ē

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I'd agree that it is right at the edge of too big for pocket carry. That said, it's nice to have a bit more gun to hang onto - most pocket 380s are tiny. You could load it with hot Underwood ammo and have a pretty hot little pocket gun that doesn't quite reach 9mm power levels.

That said, the trigger is slightly worse than the normal clunky Glock trigger. I put one of the reduced weight connectors in it and it is now pretty much comparable to my G19.

It's virtually identical in size to the Kel-tec PF9 in my pocket now. The PF9 also cost ~$160 and has a much better trigger than the Glock.

I bought the G42 for my wife, and I am seriously considering selling it and getting something else.
    I might consider a Keltec PF9, but I'd need to buy 2 of them -- one to get familiar with at the range, the other for carry. I don't trust Keltecs for more than about 200-300 rounds (if it's one without assembly line defects to begin with).
    ETXhiker and 5lima30ret like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    I tried it on a two hour rental. My views:
    • too big for deep concealment, the advantage of a 380.
    • too hard to rack for 380, and 380 uses are often to be women or men with hand weakness.
    • awful ergonomics.

It is safe to assume that I did not like it.
    Wavygravy and Lefty_Red like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Being a woman I do not have any normal pants that will pocket carry any gun, but I have found that my G42 prints less than my SIG P238's when worn IWB in Kydex at around 2:00 .........translated to shooting left handed means I carry at 10:30 more or less.

The G42 is seriously hard to rack. My strong husband agrees. He shoots the larger Glocks and says the 42 slide is definitely stiffer. I have to use a HandiRacker.

My original 'first production' 8# trigger pull model 42 went back to Glock and they replaced about 10 parts, now giving me a 6# trigger pull, but it is still stiff and a bit "catchy" at the way forward reset point. One thing I found out last time I was at the range is that the 42 now throws hot brass straight up to hit my cheek when I try to shoot from the hip. If I shot right handed this would not be a problem. The Glock is not the softest shooting .380 although it is softer than several others, but mostly those others are tiny and weigh less.

The SIG's are a dream. They are ultra easy to rack and the SA action trigger pull is so much smoother than the G42 trigger that I do not notice that the trigger pull is actually a pound heavier as measured on my trigger gauge. Yes, the SIG's cost more than a Glock, and for some reason the grip feels a tad smaller even with the 7 round magazines with the pinkie extension on the bottom. I shoot both the same as far as size of groups on a target.

The SIG's are more challenging to take apart and put back together (field strip) for cleaning than my 42. I do not detail strip any of my guns. I leave that to Gramps if it ever needs to be done.
    drmordo and 5lima30ret like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Nope...prefer the 43

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    I am assuming by its size that itís a very soft shooting .380. How is concealability? I would be mostly pocket carrying. Iíve heard before that itís right on the edge of comfortable for pocket carry.
    I have a G42 that I bought for my wife after we tried a bunch of firearms I own as well as a number of rentals at the range. She can comfortably rack it, and can shoot it very well, especially with the green laser CT lasergrip (her vision is rather poor). With a Magguts kit, it's 7+1 rounds of 380. I find the gun is VERY accurate, and VERY soft shooting, especially for a small gun. I would have no problem carrying it.

There are a few downsides as far as my experience goes:
    1. It's just too big for pocket carry for me. I may just have small pockets, but I'm a 6'3'' 200lb guy, and the only gun I can comfortably pocket carry is my CW380 Kahr, and that gun is quite annoying to shoot and requires careful maintenance and ammo selection to be reliable. I have to practice regularly, and can't shoot more than 50 rounds out of it before it starts frankly hurting my hands. For the first couple of magazines it's excellent however, very accurate with the upgraded sights, and the terminal ballistics are fine with the Critical Defense 380ACP.
    2. It's quite susceptible to limp-wristing. Perhaps because the return spring is rather soft (which lets my wife rack the slide), but we had to work on her technique to avoid numerous FTFs. It's never had a malfunction in my hands, which makes me think it's the wrist.
    3. The P365 is the same size and the same price, and carries 10 rounds of 9mm. When I bought the G42 that gun didn't exist. I primarily carry the P365 now, where I used to carry the Shield 9mm. If I'm going to carry a gun on my belt, I may as well carry the P365.

Senior Member Array thechriskarel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I might consider a Keltec PF9, but I'd need to buy 2 of them -- one to get familiar with at the range, the other for carry. I don't trust Keltecs for more than about 200-300 rounds (if it's one without assembly line defects to begin with).
    Yeah Iíve always heard Keltecs are hit or miss.

Ever kel tec i had a jamamatic

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

I had a 42 for 10 mins ..And sold it ..Yes it is a nice enough gun but it is way way to big for a 380 with a single stack mag ...No way you can pocket carry it easily ..Plus the 43 is the same size and well...
    Rockymonster likes this.
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Buddy has one; I canít stand it.

Way too small for my hands...canít get a proper grip on it, it skews to the left no matter what I do.

Much prefer my 238, or a Bodyguard.
    5lima30ret and G-man* like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links