For pocket carry (in a holster), safety, or no safety?

This is a discussion on For pocket carry (in a holster), safety, or no safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Manual of arms may be a factor, but for pocket carry, is a safety a must? Some guns are available with or without, some only ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: For pocket carry (in a holster), safety, or no safety?

VIP Member

Manual of arms may be a factor, but for pocket carry, is a safety a must? Some guns are available with or without, some only with or only without. If you had a choice, for example, S&W Bodyguard, would you go safety or no safety?

Thoughts all the way around?
    5lima30ret, OldChap and scottync like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

VIP Member
    I think safeties are OK if you learn and practice releasing them, but personally I do not have a safety on my EDC. I only pocket carry in my coat pocket, and I do that rarely. I use a pocket hose for that carrying. I would never pocket carry a gun that had no safety without it being in a holster. I would not do it if the gun had q safety, but my point is if you have no safety have a holster, and if you have no safety you do not have to spend time learning and practicing removing the safety while drawing. By the way, removing the safety while drawing from a pocket, holster or not, is not as simple as doing it from a holster IWB or OWB. So I vote for no safety but with a holster.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Manual of arms may be a factor, but for pocket carry, is a safety a must? Some guns are available with or without, some only with or only without. If you had a choice, for example, S&W Bodyguard, would you go safety or no safety?

Understand here that I am not advocating the BG 380, or any other platform.

But you must get this from the beginning so that you will make the right choice the first time; for you!

A pistol with a heavy DA trigger pull, like a revolver does not need now, or has ever, ever needed a safety. Small autos like the Kel Tecs and the S&W BG have those types of heavier triggers.

With striker fired guns, which have a much easier trigger pull, you need to take care and choose a holster that resists collapses when engaged in activities that include more than walking and sitting to protect that trigger.

Same with a SA design, although it has a safety, the trigger should be protected.

So , since my BG has a trigger that is very similar to a DA revolver, I have no need for a safety.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    DA - no

SA/Striker fired - yes

My primary carry is a 1911 with a grip safety and a thumb safety. My pocket carry is usually a Sig P938 with a thumb safety and the same manual of arms as my primary. I prefer a safety on a pocket pistol as long as it is the same manual of arms as my primary. A safety in another position or in an opposite direction is a big no for me. Sometimes I carry a revolver as a primary or secondary gun.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post

I only carry my Kahr CW380 in the pocket, and I always use a kydex pocket holster from Vedder when I do that. The Kahr has an interesting trigger - it's long like a DA, but is not as heavy (6-7lbs). I don't mind that it has no safety as long as it's inside a kydex holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

My personal experience includes accessing my pistol and finding that its safety lever had been moved to "off" by the action of my clothing.
    Therefore, when I began to carry a pocket pistol, my choice was DAO with no safety. The specific gun was an AMT .45 Backup.

My wife's choice, probably influenced by her instructor (me), is also a pocket-size DAO with no safety lever. Hers is a Kel-Tec P-3AT.
    Rockymonster and WC145 like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Safety levers on small pocket guns tend to be hard to disengage under stress. My preference is for a longer, heavier trigger, a real pocket holster, and no manual safety.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

VIP Member
    No safety necessary as long as it is carried in a proper pocket holster that covers the entire trigger guard. Carry what makes you comfortable.

I use a DeSantis Super Fly with a Kahr P380. Both are within my comfort zone. https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...olster-edition
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I've carried my P938 with a safety but only because that's what was available that fit my pockets well. When I obtain a P365 that will become my pocket gun and it will not have a safety.
    spclopr8tr and Rockymonster like this.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

It would depend on the gun. I don't pocket carry, but I would have no problem carrying my LCP without a safety.

Distinguished Member
    I have the LCPII -- basically a SA action w/ no safety. You better believe I'm gonna carry it in a Kydex holster, pocket or IWB either one. I do have a leather back pocket wallet holster for it, but the leather is as stiff as Kydex. Complete trigger coverage on all of them.

Same trigger pull weight w/ no safety as carrying a Glock. You gonna carry a Glock without a good holster? I doan theenk so....
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

My LCP has a long very deliberate pull and therefore IMO doesn't require a safety. I agree w/ G-Man DA revolvers and autos really don't need it, IMO. I also 100% agree that there should always be a proper pocket holster utilized and NEVER carry anything else in that pocket! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

@10thmtn got it before me. The BG is my pocket carry choice in a DeSantis Nemesis. However, for all the great things about the BG, the safety is one thing that is more like an after thought. It is small and not easy to disengage. Therefore, I always carry it in that little holster with the safety off. As 10thmtn says, the trigger pull is long and fairly robust - like a good revolver, so I don't worry about it.

My BG has an aftermarket trigger, but it is still pretty long you'd really have to work to pull it. Inside the holster you probably couldn't ever do it.

BTW...I have no safety on my PF-9's either and they sometimes draw pocket duty.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

For what it's worth,I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 in a front pocket holster because it was the smallest and lightest pistol I could find. It's striker fired with no big sights or an exposed hammer to snag on your pocket.and I keep it loaded with personal self defense ammo.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links