Duty 1911 - Page 6

Duty 1911

This is a discussion on Duty 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY The Sigís are for EDC My Colt is my Sunday go meetiní gun. I wanna see the Colt!!!!...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: Duty 1911

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    The Sigís are for EDC
    My Colt is my Sunday go meetiní gun.
    I wanna see the Colt!!!!
    scottync, msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I didn't realize that the TRP Operator is bushingless. I confirmed this on Springfield's website, but didn't see where they explain why. Is there a particular reason for this? And if so, why is it only the Operator version?
    In theory, there's one less clearance you have to worry about the tolerances on...barrel-bushing-slide vs barrel-slide. In reality, I've never seen any practical advantage to them, neither improved accuracy nor added reliability.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I wanna see the Colt!!!!
    Sorry,
    Still have not figured out how to post pictures.
    Some day when my son is in town I will get him to show me how.
    It was my dadís,that is why it is special to me
    WC145 and msgt/ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Duty 1911-auto-ordnance-1911-featured-image-2.jpg
    Right now, I would say that an Auto Ordnance basic model would do it for me. Since Kahr took over the company, things have improved with them; and that looks like a rugged gun to me.

Here is where I got the pic and there is a review of the gun there.
    https://guncarrier.com/auto-ordnance...rice-used-see/
    AzQkr likes this.
    Crabby Old Goat, that's me!

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Call me a 1911 snob but if I'm carrying one for duty (I have) or self defense (I do) there is no way it's going to be a bargain basement version that is built out of the least expensive parts available using the cheapest labor in order to make the price point of the manufacturer's chosen market niche. And the last thing on my mind is getting a duty gun dinged up or knocked around or "losing" it to evidence. If those things are that big concern to you, or your monetary options are to carry the cheapest 1911 on the market or something else then you should pick something else. That $450-$500 you'd spend on a RIA would be far better spent on a Glock, M&P, or Beretta, even if it you had to get a used LE trade in.

Except for when I was a USAF SP and was issued my duty weapons, I've worked for depts that required me to provide my own guns. I always carried the best quality guns I could afford, even if it meant stretching my budget to get them. Whatever worries I may have had walking out the door to go to work, my gun failing me when I needed it most was never, ever one of them. You don't cheap out on gear that you depend on to save your life.
    I don't disagree, cheap and effecient aren't the same. I've been using an Taylor Arms 1911 9mm (gun made by RIA and enhanced/sold by Taylor Arms) for 2 years. It is the most accurate 1911 I've had from the factory (Les Baers are semi-factory and of course they are superb guns) it has functioned flawlessly (with properly designed mags) and has had several thousand rounds through it with no signs of degradation in performance. It took 6 months for the LGS to drop the price from $890 but I paid $760 for it with ambi-safety, mag well and LPA adjustable sights. I've shot it in USPSA, IDPA and Steel Challenge and I am a stickler for performance and reliablility. It looks good, though not show quality for sure, and all I had to do was a 2 1/2 lb trigger job and add a few titanium parts I like (firing pin, hammer strut and mainspring cap) adjust the recoil/mainspring and it gives me 3 1/2" groups at 50 yards rollover prone with good ammo. And it's fed MG JHP's with no issues.
    BUT I don't carry a 1911 as a general rule. But I do love the platform. For EDC I always end up with my S&W M&P 45 2.0 w/thumb safety (sans any grip inserts) or just cause I like Revolvers a S&W 325 Thunder Ranch both always with 230 Federal HST's. I prefer both to the Glock 19 I have.
    Nix, msgt/ret and JAG45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    Have a 2 piece in my Para Recon and have had 0 issues.
    When I need to take it down I just pull the slide and screw the rod down and disassemble as usual.
    And no tools needed.
    Yep I've known a few competitors who have had no issues. I just never did have any luck with the 2 I used (Wilson stainless steel and Clark steel) without using Loc-Tite (blue 242). Granted they would just be loose when I checked them after 4 or 5 thousand rounds, I never had one fly out of the gun!
    So I've always been careful in competition it is aggravating in SD don't want to even contemplate it.
    Now the BEST Full Length Guide Rod is one made by Dawson that has a spring lever that you can lock the assembly up with. I have one on my 2011 STI and it's never caused any issues, probably have in excess of 5,000 rounds though so it's not thoroughly tested out by me. I also tend to not like the FLGR's due to the extra weight up front, but it seems most of my guns have them now and so I'm getting used to it. The extra weight would at times cause issues for my timing on fast splits, it's a personal problem for sure !

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto-Ordnance-1911-featured-image-2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	304582
    Right now, I would say that an Auto Ordnance basic model would do it for me. Since Kahr took over the company, things have improved with them; and that looks like a rugged gun to me.

Here is where I got the pic and there is a review of the gun there.
    https://guncarrier.com/auto-ordnance...rice-used-see/
    My purchase of the AO milspec

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ec-1911-a.html

Post 14,
    Post 29 explains the internal part replacements made. Now it looks like a mutt but is actually a lamborghini internally.
    Post 62 for pics of the redone AO

BTW, AO is no longer making the parked model, blued only.
    WC145, OD* and MisterMills357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    My purchase of the AO milspec

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ec-1911-a.html

Post 14,
    Post 29 explains the internal part replacements made. Now it looks like a mutt but is actually a lamborghini internally.
    Post 62 for pics of the redone AO

BTW, AO is no longer making the parked model, blued only.
    OK. And.
    I added a note to your old thread, it reads, "I want one." I looked up post #62, and your gun looks good.

[I looked up the AO website, and you are right, they don't have a parkerized. The GI model has a flat black finish.]
    Crabby Old Goat, that's me!

TexasArmor84, The department only allowed Series 80 Colts for anyone who wanted to carry a 1911 type pistol. So the 1911 type I carried for several years is rather pedestrian compared with some other 1911s mentioned. A lightly modified,i.e., sights, sharp edges softened, bobbed hammer,etc., Colt Government. I had two made up in similar fashion, in case one of them got impounded as evidence, etc. after some incident. I'd previously had a duty pistol impounded as evidence for about 18 months after an incident, so I was planning ahead in case anything similar happened in future. Anyway, the Colts served well, and I believe railed versions are available if one wishes to utilize a weapon light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Duty 1911-duty-1-m-640x383-.jpg  

TexasArmor84, OD*, Nix and 3 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    TexasArmor84, The department only allowed Series 80 Colts for anyone who wanted to carry a 1911 type pistol. So the 1911 type I carried for several years is rather pedestrian compared with some other 1911s mentioned. A lightly modified,i.e., sights, sharp edges softened, bobbed hammer,etc., Colt Government. I had two made up in similar fashion, in case one of them got impounded as evidence, etc. after some incident. I'd previously had a duty pistol impounded as evidence for about 18 months after an incident, so I was planning ahead in case anything similar happened in future. Anyway, the Colts served well, and I believe railed versions are available if one wishes to utilize a weapon light.
    That's one fine looking Series 80.
    Nix, SatCong and WC145 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That's one fine looking Series 80.
    OD* likes this.

What about the colt combat unit rail 1911? Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I would choose the Baer over the Wilson...based on experience.
    SatCong likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links