Defensive Carry banner

Duty 1911

5K views 87 replies 33 participants last post by  TexasDiablo 
#1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a duty 1911. So far I have been looking at the Springfield TRP and the Wilson Combat CQB LE. Though I would like to get your opinion. I know I am missing some other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
I have a Springfield TRP Operator 10mm and a Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP. The Dan Wesson 1911s are probably the best production model 1911s without going to the semi-custom guns like Wilson. I really like the SA TRP Operator, but with the rail, it takes a different holster. I also have seven Colt 1911s in .45 ACP and two Colt Delta Elites in 10mm. My Colt Custom Shop Level III series 70 .45 ACP is a very well made gun. My 1911s are all 5" government models. Ed Brown, Les Baer, and Nighthawk are other semi-custom shops to look at. Top Gun Supply stocks a lot of 1911s.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/

#7 ·
Wholly depends on your budget. They are both fine pistols but in two different leagues! I carried a customized Colt MkIV Ser70 Gold Cup in the 70's/80's. If you can afford the Wilson you'll be hard pressed to find better.

#8 ·
Colt is always a solid choice when it comes to 1911:image035:!

#10 ·
I haven't owned a custom made top shelf like a Wilson or Les Baer. No doubt they're outstanding.

But I have two Colts from the mid 70s and they've both been excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to use either as a duty weapon if I was in that position.

#13 ·
Define duty.

If it’s going to be in an open rig like LE duty, a good ol Colt Gov model will do nicely.
And it’s hard to beat the Springfield Defender A1 for 499.00

Unless you need rails for attachments, I can’t see any high dollar gun giving any better measurable difference for service use.

#17 ·
I've carried 1911s on duty in the past, have carried them off duty and for personal protection and used them in competition for years. Knowing everything I know now about 1911s if I was buying a factory gun for duty carry it would be a Baer, they are as rugged, reliable, and accurate as you'll find and a great value compared to some others. I've owned TRPs and Colt Wiley Clapps and would be comfortable with either. If you like Dan Wessons they are certainly worth looking at. Whatever you choose I suggest getting at least 8 quality mags to go with it, I like CMC and Wilsons. Also, I'd run at least 500rds of training ammo and a minimum of 100rds of your duty ammo through it before I'd trust it for duty carry no matter what gun you pick. By that time the gun will be nicely broken in and you'll be comfortable with it and confident in it's performance.

#20 ·
I've long admired Ed Brown 1911's, but never had the pleasure of owning...or even firing one.

I'm curious as to why a person would pick a Les Baer or Ed Brown or Dan Wesson over a Colt or a Springfield. My Springer...which is more a cobbled together collection of 1911 parts (some Wilson, some Ed Brown)...has been dead-nuts reliable for well over 1000 rounds and is exceedingly accurate (for me and my abilities). While the overall build quality of the Wessons, Wilsons, and Baers I've seen is exceptional, I don't fully understand what makes these pistols more practically desirable.

Why is a $3000 1911 a better choice than a $1500 1911? My Ruger SR1911 Commander has been a real pleasure to shoot and has also been flawless through....700-1000 rounds. It retails for around $750. I've carried it as a CCW often. Was I wrong to trust my life to a humble (but rather nice) Ruger?

(After reading Dial1911's comments, I should add that I've never used any of my 1911's in the sand or mud. )

#19 ·
Took a 3 day off site Gunsite class a couple of years ago. It rained two of the three days; enough to require rain jackets and pants. Reusing mags after dropping them on the wet gravel, sand and dirt mixed surface I learned a lot about my 1911’s.

Wilson CQB- after about 300 rounds the slide repeatedly failed to go into battery. The hood and lugs were too tight for the grit
Ed Brown Exec Elite- same issues but at fewer rounds
Les Baer UTC- tightest gun I own, but never had a hiccup in 3 days
Colt Combat Elite- very loose fitting compared to the others and no problems at all.

As a result, my carry is the Baer.

#25 ·
Welp ... I'm almost embarrassed to say this.

I thought I "raised him better than this" but ...

... our youngest son has assumed a security job where he has great latitude in side arm choices. He has a good representative handgun accumulation of his own. Includes two 1911-guns, a Colt and a Rock Island. Both full sized. He's been going with the Rock Island of all things. Just a garden variety basic pistol. He's changed out stocks for something he prefers. That's all. Though he's had both pistols for quite a while he's had the Rock Island longest. He likes the trigger. He values the dependability he's observed, fully equal to his Colts (or mine).

He qualified well with the Rock Island, is committed to a regular practice regimen, and carries it with full confidence. He's had zero issues with it since 2008 when he got it. He keeps the Colt for "nice." Can't argue with his commitment to the pistol and acknowledge his success with the brand. Hah! His old man's not tough enough to tote a Rock Island. I'm committed to Colt, might would play with some other quality makes, but do have to confess that sometimes this 1911 game gets to be a bit snobbish at times.

I'm following his Rock Island choice with interest.

#26 ·
Welp ... I'm almost embarrassed to say this.

I thought I "raised him better than this" but ...

... our youngest son has assumed a security job where he has great latitude in side arm choices. He has a good representative handgun accumulation of his own. Includes two 1911-guns, a Colt and a Rock Island. Both full sized. He's been going with the Rock Island of all things. Just a garden variety basic pistol. He's changed out stocks for something he prefers. That's all. Though he's had both pistols for quite a while he's had the Rock Island longest. He likes the trigger. He values the dependability he's observed fully equal to his Colts (or mine).

He qualified well with the Rock Island, is committed to a regular practice regimen, and carries it with full confidence. He's had zero issues with it since 2008 when he got it. He keeps the Colt for "nice." Can't argue with his commitment to the pistol and acknowledge his success with the brand. Hah! His old man's not tough enough to tote a Rock Island. I'm committed to Colt, might would play with some other quality makes, but do have to confess that sometimes this 1911 game gets to be a bit snobbish at times.

I'm following his Rock Island choice with interest.
The RIA's are fine 1911's. I've owned a few, never a problem. I chose the AO mil-spec simply because it has nary a nub of a front sight, just as I prefer. :hand10:

#33 ·
I had the opportunity to carry a Colt Gold Cup government when I was in Iraq in ‘03. You couldn’t begin to call what we did “light duty”, and that pistol held up like a champ. Insurgents viewed the 9mm as a wussy gun, and looking at that .45 caliber hole pointed their direction went a long way towards gaining cooperation. Having said that, I now carry a Sig government sized Scorpion as part of my EDC. I’ve never had any malfunctions, through a couple thousand rounds so far, and it’s a pretty gun as well. I tend to agree with some on here that if it’s for open duty carry, there’s no sense in spending a few thousand dollars when a few hundred will get you all the dependability you need. Just my two cents...

#40 ·
Had one when I owned the shop, sold it lickety split for that damned take down procedure. Seemed well made and I like SA's having carried them for decades working the streets. No full length guide rods for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.