Finding the RIGHT gun ....your journey ?

This is a discussion on Finding the RIGHT gun ....your journey ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this will come out right cause I've got thoughts all over the map !!! My main guns have been Glocks for about ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Finding the RIGHT gun ....your journey ?

Not sure if this will come out right cause I've got thoughts all over the map !!! My main guns have been Glocks for about 5 years or so , with a mix of some others here and there. Those others have come because I think I always struggled a little shooting the Glocks to my expectation. Lately I've been practicing regularly with a lot of focus and making NO progress !!! I know that the Gun doesn't make the shooter and you can't buy accuracy --please don't go there ! I'm going to rent a few options the next range sessions to see if another Make/Model might fit me better.
    So, I'm curious about others that have found one manufacturer works better for them over another and maybe elaborate about why ??? I have no loyalty towards any Brand, but I want the best accuracy I can get and best gun that fits me. The best Gun I shot was a CZ PCR which I stupidly let go....but a huge difference from a Glock !!!
    Fire away....love to hear the journeys....
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ PCR
    I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

VIP Member
    Finding the right gun for you is a journey for most of us. There are a few shooters that are so proficient that they can pick up about any gun and shoot it well. The rest of us........well......

I also shot Glocks for many years. I shot them well, but the grip was too large for my hands and I wound up with a lot of bone damage: A LOT. Now I'm shooting guns with grips that fit me better. My accuracy has not changed, but that is partly due to the fact that I'm
    much older now. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The ones that currently fit my hands best are M&P compact series. Because of the damage to my hands I am limited to .380 and .22 now.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; October 17th, 2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My journey has been finding something I am ok with carrying. I've had pistols in the HK, PPQ and Glock flavors but I finally realized after getting a slim gun that I don't like a chunky gun in my waistline.

Then I started getting smaller guns. Discovered in the process I actually shoot them better than big full sizes due to my grip. Curling the pinky under felt natural and I just ran with it.

Now my carry guns rotate between a P365 and my 442 PC. I only keep a thick double stack for the night stand and range.

Glock's point of aim also never felt natural despite carrying them for years. I trained and became efficient with them but other makers point more naturally for me and allow me to get lead on target quickly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    No such thing as the "right gun?...the "right gun" evolves as time passes.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by BCC73 View Post
    Not sure if this will come out right cause I've got thoughts all over the map !!! My main guns have been Glocks for about 5 years or so , with a mix of some others here and there. Those others have come because I think I always struggled a little shooting the Glocks to my expectation. Lately I've been practicing regularly with a lot of focus and making NO progress !!! I know that the Gun doesn't make the shooter and you can't buy accuracy --please don't go there ! I'm going to rent a few options the next range sessions to see if another Make/Model might fit me better.
    So, I'm curious about others that have found one manufacturer works better for them over another and maybe elaborate about why ??? I have no loyalty towards any Brand, but I want the best accuracy I can get and best gun that fits me. The best Gun I shot was a CZ PCR which I stupidly let go....but a huge difference from a Glock !!!
    Fire away....love to hear the journeys....
    I fix mine with better sites and adjusting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s interesting in my case... i did a TON of research before i bought my first gun and ended up with a CZ75 compact. By far the gun that i shoot most accurately and enjoy the most. My wife’s Bersa thunder 380... can’t shoot worth a darn! My Kahr PM40... can’t shoot worth a darn. My Sig p365, not quite as accurate as my CZ (obviously there’s a significant size difference), but i can shoot it a hell of a lot better than the Bersa or Kahr.

CZ definitely has the best/most comfortable grip

Quote Originally Posted by GMJager View Post
    Itís interesting in my case... i did a TON of research before i bought my first gun and ended up with a CZ75 compact. By far the gun that i shoot most accurately and enjoy the most. My wifeís Bersa thunder 380... canít shoot worth a darn! My Kahr PM40... canít shoot worth a darn. My Sig p365, not quite as accurate as my CZ (obviously thereís a significant size difference), but i can shoot it a hell of a lot better than the Bersa or Kahr.

CZ definitely has the best/most comfortable grip
    CZ is a sweet gun. I think my first all metal 9mm for occasional carry will be a CZ 2075 RAMI.

I started carrying a Kimber Ultra CDP .45ACP about 15 years ago and now carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry
    45ACP-for myself 1911 frames have always pointed the best out of holster so I stayed with those.
    I have tried Spingfield XD's-Glock G30 and 36's-and always ended up with the 1911's
    THE CROW

I competed with the 1911 in the Navy and that is the most accurate gun for me. I think it's telling that despite its older design, lower capacity and greater weight than some more modern guns, it is still widely used for carry, special ops and competition and at least half the major manufacturers have a versions in production and keep coming out with new ones. Set up right, it is just darn accurate. But it has to be mastered. I was terrible with it when I started. It took me a bit (not a lot) of work and training to get there. Now it always comes to mind when this issue comes up.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Those responding so far....do you think grip angle/trigger/ have resulted in your changes ?
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ PCR
    I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

What is the definition of "the right gun"? Right for what I have to ask. The gun I can shoot most accurately is not the right gun for me to carry concealed. Too big and too heavy. After 42 years of carrying a handgun in one way or another I have had more handguns than I care to admit I wasted money on. I started my conceal carry with a Rossi 5 shot 2" snub, the one in my avatar. After all those guns the gun that truly fits me the best (If I am being honest with myself) and does the best job for me is my S&W 642. Its not my favorite handgun, I don't shoot it the best its just the best handgun for me to carry based on the speed I can get shots on target from AIWB which I feel is more important than capacity or long distance shooting. Its the best gun for contact shots and shots tangled in clothes or from a pocket. There is no better gun for a "floating gun" meaning it can go from IWB to front pocket to jacket pocket to just palmed in my hand across a dark parking lot. You can do all that safely with no holster at all. Carried in a good Kydex snap loop holster its the only gun/holster combo that has stayed put in my hand to hand training. I can shoot it well with either hand and its hard to beat the reliability of the darn thing.
    My favorite gun is my 1911 commander which I do sometimes carry either OWB or IWB @ 3:00 but, favorite has little to do with the most practical gun for the job at hand. Behind the curve I want bullets on target as fast as I can do it and a discrete draw and easy access driving,sitting at the table, climbing over stuff, laying under the truck,wearing my toolbelt around the place or wrestling with my Grand kids.
    So, for me "the right gun" is not cool or a battle implement or something I can hit a plate with at one hundred yards, it has no laser or night sights or RMR, Its grip is cut out with a Dremel to fit a speedloader easier and the finish is all worn off from so much practice. The only thing aftermarket is a bit of bright nail polish on the front sight. Its plain and simple and reliable. I have yet to find anything more "right" for the job.

I have had many different brands and designs, but found that I consistently shoot Glocks the best. I still enjoy my revolvers and my Sig's, and even my Kahrs, but the Glocks keep multiplying. The modularity of the Glock platforms is an extra bonus.
    BCC73, ShooterGranny and ETXhiker like this.

For about 30 years it has been Glocks, with revolvers always a main stay in the rotation.

For the last year, itís been I have gravitated more and more to the 1911 until I bought the LW Commander, which has dominated my EDC for the last couple of months, and I donít think that will change in the coming years.

A little BG 380 is my pocket gun when I want an option.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I think I did it pretty well. I started by picking up a magazine that covered something like the top 100 best selling EDC guns. I chose 9mm for low ammo cost and low recoil (translation-more rounds on target quicker). It's an effective round (you like .40 or .45 better, good for you, I made my choice). I picked out a handful that I decided to do more research on and narrowed it down to three pistols to rent and try. After one shot I was done with one well-reviewed gun. I didn't like it at all. The other two were about even-steven. I picked up the Shield 9mm because I got a good deal on it first. I'm quite satisfied with it.

However, if I was making the choice from scratch today I would also check out the Walther CCP M2 and the P365. Now that I know I can add a safety to a Glock, I'd also look at the Gen 4 G26. I would recommend that anyone looking at an EDC gun shoot one before buying.
    BCC73, ETXhiker and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Just give me a gun and I will figure out how to make it work for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links