Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army - Page 3

Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army

This is a discussion on Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G-man* Well heck, thatís nothing! And none of those are under high stress or impact. That means you could buy a Colt, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Well heck, thatís nothing! And none of those are under high stress or impact.

That means you could buy a Colt, pay a realistic 750-800 and be good to go without worry right out of the box.

^^That's been exactly my thought for years!^^
    G-man* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Colt refused to send them copies for their idiotic test protocol would be my guess.
    I think in California the micro stamping law prevents any new centerfire pistols from being sold there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    It's not "another" version, it's an original version brought back from the dead. Milspec Colts 1911's were made in large numbers during ww1, the 1911a1 in the hundreds of thousands after 1927 until well into the 50's [ IIRC ].

OD probably has the numbers off the top of his head.

I prefer the milspec tiny nub front sights over any other sights on a 1911, one of the reasons I don't carry my Ed Brown.
    Let me rephrase it. Another 1911? That brings nothing new to the table? That's never gonna be a "original"?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I think in California the micro stamping law prevents any new centerfire pistols from being sold there.
    That's quite possible too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by MYMOMSSON View Post
    Let me rephrase it. Another 1911? That brings nothing new to the table? That's never gonna be a "original"?
    It brings a true milspec back into their line up. What they passed off as a milspec for the longest time wasn't, it had higher profile fixed sights. I bought the AO milpect because Springfield Armory and Colt didn't have a "real" milspec even though they called one of the models a milspec. In fact, the AO and regent k100 were the only true milspecs on the market at that time. And that's what I wanted. AO's and Regents are 1911a1's, this new colt is an original 1911. Thus, it's new model to the shooting world.

It's extremely difficult to find a current rendition of a 1911 [ prior to 1927 when features were added and renamed 1911a1's ]. Before this gun was released, I'm not sure anyone was making a true original 1911,
    OD*, 5lima30ret and gatorbait51 like this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by MYMOMSSON View Post
    1911's are like potato chips....ain't nobody gonna have just one.

VIP Member
    Chuck Roger's of ROGERS PRECISION posted when asked about putting a trigger job on Colt's "new" at the time, ignition parts.
    THAT, from Chuck, is gospel, my friend.
    OD*, gatorbait51 and Nix like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Have some coffee, finish waking up, clear your head, take another look, then go back and edit your post?
    Point taken.
    gatorbait51 and Nix like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

At that price point, you could send it off and have the correct finish applied.
    I wanted to ask about that. Why not the correct finish? Isn't that the whole point of a Black Army replica?
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I wanted to ask about that. Why not the correct finish? Isn't that the whole point of a Black Army replica?
    Black Army's weren't bead blasted and then blued, it's the finish on these new reproductions that is incorrect. They used the same bluing salts as the prior pistols, they just stopped preforming the last two steps in the final finish process, that's what gave them the "black" look. (regardless of what Colt has on their web sight about them changing bluing, it's easy enough to prove with the official Ordnance records Charles Clawson had access to)

The first generation reproductions of "Black Army's" were closer to the original finish.

Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army-1918-reproduction.jpg

Second Gen
    Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army-2nd-gen-black-army.jpg
    AzQkr, Mike1956, MMinSC and 3 others like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Thatís pretty cool. Iím not into the premium, full custom 1911s, and especially not the Gucci race guns like STIs, but the simple, world war era sidearm.

WW1 especially has a cool history of firearms, when things really went from yesteryear to mostly modern. A reasonably priced reproduction of a 1911 would be right in my wheelhouse.
    G-man* and gatorbait51 like this.

Black Army's weren't bead blasted and then blued, it's the finish on these new reproductions that is incorrect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1918 Reproduction.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	304406
    Thanks. That is what I was asking about. If the finish is incorrect on these, isn't that a pretty important part of this series of reproduction pistols and the whole point of it being called a Black Army? Or is that not so important?

Would the cost of refinishing to a more authentic finish be compared to other refinishing costs?

I missed out on the previous Black Army release. That was a mistake. I thought it better to not spend the money at the time but looking back I had it and could have spent it.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Thanks. That is what I was asking about. If the finish is incorrect on these, isn't that a pretty important part of this series of reproduction pistols and the whole point of it being called a Black Army?
    That would be my reasoning, why "reproduce" something if your not going to reproduce it as it was? It wouldn't be hard to do, since Colt has stopped using the polished finish on their new blued pistols, the current finish would be closer than bead blast blue.

Would the cost of refinishing to a more authentic finish be compared to other refinishing costs?
    I would think it would be slightly cheaper, they wouldn't have to polish them to a high luster.

I missed out on the previous Black Army release. That was a mistake. I thought it better to not spend the money at the time but looking back I had it and could have spent it.
    I wouldn't miss out again.
    Old Man, MMinSC and gatorbait51 like this.

NRA Patron Member

I wouldn't miss out again.

Thank you Sir.

I had planned for my next purchase to be either a 70s Series or a Competition. Since I these are limited and I did miss them last time, I should probably consider it.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Wonder how many they are going to produce.
    I looked on the website but may have missed it
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links