Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army

This is a discussion on Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...11-black-army/ Colt just announced a new, or rather, a very old, Model 1911 pistol. Called the 1911 Black Army, these freshly minted 1911s are based ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Colt Announcing World War I-Era 1911 Black Army

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...11-black-army/

Colt just announced a new, or rather, a very old, Model 1911 pistol. Called the 1911 Black Army, these freshly minted 1911s are based on a 1918 version of the most iconic American military sidearm.
    Mike1956, ETXhiker, OD* and 10 others like this.

VIP Member
    Getting back to what they used to do best.
    AzQkr, OD*, Old Man and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Nix
    That would be a fun one!
    AzQkr, gatorbait51 and Doghandler like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Getting back to what they used to do best.
    At 900.00+ dollars, I'm thinking my AO milspec with replaced best internals that only stands me 700.00 total is the better value. I'm wondering how many MIM parts are in this new Colt offering. One caveat, won't know till I handle one of the new Colts, theirs may be better parked. My AO park is thin.
    Mike1956, OD*, 5lima30ret and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Oooooh. I like it.
    AzQkr, gatorbait51 and Doghandler like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    At 900.00+ dollars, I'm thinking my AO milspec with replaced best internals that only stands me 700.00 total is the better value. I'm wondering how many MIM parts are in this new Colt offering. One caveat, won't know till I handle one of the new Colts, theirs may be better parked. My AO park is thin.
    Hopefully (?), actually price points will come in well under MSRP.

Also hoping that the product will be reliable as well as iconic.
    AzQkr, OD*, Old Man and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

The AO is a good value for what it is, but I donít see the wisdom in spending any money to upgrade all the parts in a budget gun with a cast frame. The Colt and Springers are forged frames.

A smarter approach imo, is getting a budget model like a Springer or Colt plain Jane. The only mims in those that Iím aware of would be the slide lock, thumb safety, and grip safety.
    Of course, there may be one or two more that Iím not aware of, but thatís not a major issue if you want to replace them.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    The AO is a good value for what it is, but I donít see the wisdom in spending any money to upgrade all the parts in a budget gun with a cast frame. The Colt and Springers are forged frames.

A smarter approach imo, is getting a budget model like a Springer or Colt plain Jane. The only mims in those that Iím aware of would be the slide lock, thumb safety, and grip safety.
    Of course, there may be one or two more that Iím not aware of, but thatís not a major issue if you want to replace them.
    Cast done correctly is nearly as strong as forged. SA M1A cast receiver was put up against an original forged mil receiver gun for testing decades ago based on the purists discrediting anything but forged in an m14/m1a. The forged gun ran 450K, the cast SA ran 400K, replacing barrels and parts as needed for the testing. IOW, no one is ever going to destroy a cast receiver in several lifetimes.

For the difference of 200.00, the AO will last long enough for my brothers kids kids to still be shooting it. Not to mention, for that savings I also have the best internal parts in my 1911, while the Colt will not.
    Nix, OD*, 5lima30ret and 2 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Interesting, on the first O1918 reproductions (2008) they at least tried to get the finish right (but I understand why they used the historically incorrect "matte blue"), it will be interesting to see how this version sells.
    AzQkr, MMinSC, scottync and 4 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I really like it but not sure I need another Colt with those little sights.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Cast done correctly is nearly as strong as forged. SA M1A cast receiver was put up against an original forged mil receiver gun for testing decades ago based on the purists discrediting anything but forged in an m14/m1a. The forged gun ran 450K, the cast SA ran 400K, replacing barrels and parts as needed for the testing. IOW, no one is ever going to destroy a cast receiver in several lifetimes.

For the difference of 200.00, the AO will last long enough for my brothers kids kids to still be shooting it. Not to mention, for that savings I also have the best internal parts in my 1911, while the Colt will not.
    Understand. But it would seem that logic would also apply to mims parts being used in low stress/impact areas of a gun.

To me itís like the Glock plastic sights. There is a lot of rhetoric about them being fragile, but you would be hard pressed to find a bakers dozen that have actually personally had one break.

Of course, opinions vary, but for my money, Iíll spend the little extra on a frame forged from solid bar stock, and replace the few mims parts if I felt it needed.
    Nix, AzQkr, OD* and 7 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I would imagine the MIM parts used are the same as in all their other 1911s, can't see Colt using specifically designed parts for this one model ( same reason they used the M1911A1 grip safety on this latest variation of the 1918 instead of the original M1911 style). MIM parts Colt currently uses (unless they have changed recently) magazine catch, mag catch lock, sear, disconnector.
    Nix, AzQkr, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I really like it but not sure I need another Colt with those little sights.
    Have some coffee, finish waking up, clear your head, take another look, then go back and edit your post?
    AzQkr, deadguy, Mike1956 and 4 others like this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I am a player at that price point.
    If the finish is good.
    Will look nice in my 1911 stable
    OD*, Old Man, gatorbait51 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I would imagine the MIM parts used are the same as in all their other 1911s, can't see Colt using specifically designed parts for this one model ( same reason they used the M1911A1 grip safety on this latest variation of the 1918 instead of the original style M1911 style). MIM parts Colt currently uses (unless they have changed recently) magazine catch, mag catch lock, sear, disconnector.
    Well heck, thatís nothing! And none of those are under high stress or impact.

That means you could buy a Colt, pay a realistic 750-800 and be good to go without worry right out of the box.
    Nix, OD*, 5lima30ret and 5 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links