Duty weapon Utopia !!

Duty weapon Utopia !!

This is a discussion on Duty weapon Utopia !! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well folks, I finally did it. As many of you know I've been struggling with our issued GLOCK .40's and the WML issues. I happily ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Duty weapon Utopia !!

Duty weapon Utopia !!

Well folks, I finally did it. As many of you know I've been struggling with our issued GLOCK .40's and the WML issues. I happily carried a GLOCK .40 for the past 25 years. I was issued a G22 Gen 2 in 1994 and carried it until 2012, along with my personally owned, authorized Gen 2.5 G27. Those 2 GLOCKs served me very well and I had no complaints.

Fast forward to 2012. we got a new Sheriff and I talked him into a long overdue upgrade. We stayed with GLOCK .40's, since they had served us so well, for so long. We went with Gen 4 G22's for uniform, and G23's for plain clothed deputies, with the G27 authorized for plain clothed also.

I went with the issued G23, and my same ole trusty personally owned G27. Now, here comes the issue. The Gen 4's had rails (the Gen 2's did not). Many of the deputies started putting weapons mounted lights on them. This resulted in multiple malfunctions. Without the WML's these guns were 100% reliable. With WML's = malfunction city !

I tried everything I could to resolve the WML issues and nothing reliably cured the problem. Now, I rarely use WML's, but my guys/gals do A LOT. So this was unacceptable.

I talked the Sheriff into letting me change the policy to allow personally purchased GLOCK 9mm's for those that wanted a WML. Many deputies did that, and I even went with my G19/G26 combo just so I could start wrapping my head around the 9mm round that I had pretty much forsaken for the last 25 years.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't hate todays 9mm, but, I just couldn't help but feeling more confident with a bigger bore.

Well, last week, I finally got the Sheriff to also authorize personally purchased .45 ACP GLOCKs !!! G21's for uniform, and G30's (or a G30 variant) for plain clothed deputies. So I immediately ran out and qualified with and switched to my G30, and I couldn't be happier !

I'm not sure if many of our deputies will jump on ole .45 ACP bandwagon, but me and one of my handgun instructors already have. Me a G30 gen 4, and him a G30S.

"Say hello to my little friend" !!

Duty weapon Utopia !!-g30.jpg

It shot pretty dang good on qualification too (as always). 118/120.

Duty weapon Utopia !!-glock30.jpg
    I couldn't be happier. On light office days, I may still go with my G26. But in the streets it's gonna be the old trusty .45 ACP for me. I couldn't be happier !!
    cal44, MMinSC, OD* and 17 others like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

As an ordinary citizen (non LEO), given I live in a low crime suburb, I think 9mm is plenty. In fact, I often carry a 38 sp snub revolver.

But I recently acquired my first Glock -- a 27 gen 4.

There is something reassuring about the bigger caliber.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I like Big Bullets, I cannot lie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cal44 View Post
    As an ordinary citizen (non LEO), given I live in a low crime suburb, I think 9mm is plenty. In fact, I often carry a 38 sp snub revolver.

But I recently acquired my first Glock -- a 27 gen 4.

There is something reassuring about the bigger caliber.
    I wouldn't cry if all I had was my 9mm, but much of my parish (county) is rural, and I'm an avid outdoorsman. So bipeds are not the only things that need shootin' down here. When it comes to critters, I definately like a little more oomph ! But I will still carry a 9mm at times. Plus, I think my G26/G30 combo is gonna serve me well. Best of both worlds. Both easy to carry, and both easy to upgrade to high capacity with just the switch of a magazine.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Any definitive round count that the WML caused problems at on the g4 .40 ? I was thinking they fixed that after gen 3.
    I have a gen 4 22 thats run flawless with a Truglo light /laser.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

The Glock .45's are, IMHO the best of the crop: 21, 30, 30S, 36. You just can't go wrong.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    Any definitive round count that the WML caused problems at on the g4 .40 ? I was thinking they fixed that after gen 3.
    I have a gen 4 22 thats run flawless with a Truglo light /laser.

Unfortunately there was no pattern. Some did, some didn't. Some brand new, some with a few thousand rounds through them. The most disturbing part of it was that through my research I learned that some GLOCK 40's have the problem from the start, some never will, some develop it later. I just got sick of wondering which was which, and never really knowing if/when the problem was gonna develop in the previously reliable ones.

Either way, there was enough unreliability with WML's, right from the start, to convince me that I it was a big enough issue that it had to be addressed.

The result was that we banned WML's on the 40's, authorized 9mm and .45 for those who wanted WML's. And when we upgrade again shortly, we will issue 9mm and authorize personally purchased .45's. We are still talking about if we are gonna authorize personally purchased .40's after the upgrade.

We could have stayed with the .40 and switched brands, but we are very satisfied with GLOCKs, just not in .40, and it is entirely because of the WML issue, because other than that, we really liked the .40 round. But, with the gap closing so much between 9mm and .40 performance, it just seemed prudent to switch to 9mm. If they want a big bore they can chose the .45.
    gasmitty and LouisianaMan like this.

― Heraclitus

My EDC is a 27 .. I like tbe 180gr HST .. When Im more constricted and need a pistol easier to conceal my 43 gets the nod
    Bigsteve113 and cal44 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Unfortunately there was no pattern. Some did, some didn't. Some brand new, some with a few thousand rounds through them. The most disturbing part of it was that through my research I learned that some GLOCK 40's have the problem from the start, some never will, some develop it later. I just got sick of wondering which was which, and never really knowing if/when the problem was gonna develop in the previously reliable ones.

Either way, there was enough unreliability with WML's, right from the start, to convince me that I it was a big enough issue that it had to be addressed.

The result was that we banned WML's on the 40's, authorized 9mm and .45 for those who wanted WML's. And when we upgrade again shortly, we will issue 9mm and authorize personally purchased .45's. We are still talking about if we are gonna authorize personally purchased .40's after the upgrade.

We could have stayed with the .40 and switched brands, but we are very satisfied with GLOCKs, just not in .40, and it is entirely because of the WML issue, because other than that, we really liked the .40 round. But, with the gap closing so much between 9mm and .40 performance, it just seemed prudent to switch to 9mm. If they want a big bore they can chose the .45.
    Thanks for the info.

Bigsteve113 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I carried a G36 for years. It was my little friend out in the mountains.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Everyone should carry a 4 caliber if they can!

Congrads on your new friend!
    Bigsteve113 and SatCong like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The Glock .45's are, IMHO the best of the crop: 21, 30, 30S, 36. You just can't go wrong.
    Yeah, I agree. My G21 Gen 3 is a dandy too. But my G30 is just so much easier to carry in plain clothes. They both shoot about the same for me so since I carry G21 mags for spares, I'm good-to-go with the G30.
    OldChap and wmhawth like this.

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I carried a G36 for years. It was my little friend out in the mountains.
    I carry my XDS .45 off duty a lot. Very similar size to the G36 from what I hear, but I've never shot a G36. I don't have many rounds, usually 5+1 with a 6 round spare mag. But each one of those rounds is a 230 gr chunk of burning love when it gets to it's destination. That's enough for me I would think. A dozen rounds of .45 can bring most situations under control just fine.
    SpringerXD and OlCop like this.

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member
    Well, if you must carry a Glock 45ACP is a fine choice.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Everyone should carry a 4 caliber if they can!

Congrads on your new friend!
    It's funny you say that. I've been 38 spl and 9mm for so long, I want a 45 just for the sake of it.
    G-man*, cal44, SatCong and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links