Are revolvers really reliable? - Page 5

Are revolvers really reliable?

This is a discussion on Are revolvers really reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want a revolver, but a collectable one. Not sure what to get or even look for yet....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: Are revolvers really reliable?

I want a revolver, but a collectable one. Not sure what to get or even look for yet.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    I want a revolver, but a collectable one. Not sure what to get or even look for yet.
    Well, if I could have anything, it would be a Korth. But the price is kind of difficult to justify. Now, one of those would get my blood running!

Are revolvers really reliable?-korth.jpg
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

LGS just got a Colt Diamondback (4" 22lr). In the box, unfired in the original plastic bag.

Same guy consigned a Colt Government .380 Auto and a Colt Officers Mark IV. Both in their boxes unfired.
    G26Raven, msgt/ret, OD* and 2 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My choice would be for any of the S&W K-frames but many of the early Colt revolvers are highly desirable as well and still affordable.

Are revolvers really reliable?-mod_10_r.jpg Are revolvers really reliable?-mod15_r.jpg Are revolvers really reliable?-colt_pp_32.jpg Are revolvers really reliable?-colt_as_r.jpg Are revolvers really reliable?-colt_pp_38_r.jpg
    OD*, G26Raven, Nifty and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I have been carrying a handgun since 1980 and carried a Smith Wesson 686 from 1980 to 1988. I easily put a few thousands rounds through that gun in those 8 years and with the exception of a couple old reloads that did not go bang, I have never had a failure with a revolver. In that same time frame from 1989 to 1999 I have had every conceivable stoppage with 3 different semi auto's and from 2000 to 2019, that trend has not changed. I would not say I have been plagued by these stoppages but its certainly not a foreign or freak event.. it happens and it has happened with every semi auto I have ever owned.

There is no comparison in my mind between the revolver and semi auto in regards to which is the most reliable. The revolver is very easily more reliable from a standpoint of simply firing it in perfect conditions.

That said, there are certain advantages to the semi auto and those advantages generally overcome the rare potential for them to jam, stop or fail. My main go-to weapon is a semi auto and I am not going back to the revolver in any permeant sense. I do still carry one from time to time and I will probably always own one.
    G26Raven, Nix and G-man* like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Well, revolvers are fun to shoot as well as all the other attributes that have already been mentioned. Their ease of operation makes them a good choice for preppers who might want the ability to arm an additional person or two.
    G26Raven and Nix like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

The one area I am convinced a revolver is more reliable than an auto loader is the pocket gun category. I bought a 642 about 15 years ago for pocket carry. I've never had a single failure of that gun to fire and cycle.

In that time I've also bought 3 "micro" auto's trying to retire that 642. A ruger lcp, a keltec pf9, and most recent a beretta pico. I've retired the ruger and the kel tec. Both started off reliable and over time and use developed issues. I won't carry them. The pico has been running strong so far but my past experiences still cause me to feel more comfortable carrying my 642. I carried that 642 today at work same as did for the first time 15 years ago.

I do think the reliability issue becomes mostly a moot point when you move to slightly larger platforms. On the belt I wouldn't carry a revolver over my G26 thinking I'm gaining a great reliability advantage. I might do it because I just want to.

If revolvers don't blow your skirt up, I wouldn't get one. If the laws change to where we can only own revolvers, buy one then.
    OD*, viney266 and Nix like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    The one area I am convinced a revolver is more reliable than an auto loader is the pocket gun category. I bought a 642 about 15 years ago for pocket carry. I've never had a single failure of that gun to fire and cycle.

In that time I've also bought 3 "micro" auto's trying to retire that 642. A ruger lcp, a keltec pf9, and most recent a beretta pico. I've retired the ruger and the kel tec. Both started off reliable and over time and use developed issues. I won't carry them. The pico has been running strong so far but my past experiences still cause me to feel more comfortable carrying my 642. I carried that 642 today at work same as did for the first time 15 years ago.

I do think the reliability issue becomes mostly a moot point when you move to slightly larger platforms. On the belt I wouldn't carry a revolver over my G26 thinking I'm gaining a great reliability advantage. I might do it because I just want to.

If revolvers don't blow your skirt up, I wouldn't get one. If the laws change to where we can only own revolvers, buy one then.
    I think some micro autos are pretty good. I have had good success with my Sig P938 and feel confident that the P365 will perform as well as a pocket gun.

I really don't want to wait until the laws change to buy a revolver suitable for carry. I think there is a strong possibility that DJT will retain the presidency and if so, the pressure is off to a certain degree. But if it looks like he will lose, then I will be strongly motivated to obtain one.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Interesting test...

1. I would have liked to have have seen the test with a DAO 442 with the closed back (he did mention this to be fair). WHEN I carry a wheel gun it is one of these solely because there is less holes to get dirt in.

2.both guns were quality weapons...I would say that cheap junk auto's can be the worst things ever, where the cheap wheelguns still work usually. That being said, none of us would choose junk as a carry weapon.

3. I carry a wheelgun because it is simple; in it's operation and for my big dumb brain somedays...I also carry an auto at times and feel it will not let me down in the reliability dept. either...

So, that wheel gun is as much because I WANT to as it is for reliabilty. It's small and easy. However, in todays world. I will admit it has lost all its percs in size and weight to the new breed of lightweight autos.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

- OP, get what you like
    - video is kinda unrealistic since he's dumping his revolver in a bucket of dirt.. who does that? lol

- revolvers are more reliable. period.
    - revolver or auto is not 'better' than the other, both have + and - virtues, do what works for you

- newer autos are banned in CA so all autos here are 2008 models or whatever the year was for microstaming
    - revolver give you some pretty powerful round options if that's your thing
    - 340PD has the best power to weight to size ratio of any gun

- for me carrying an auto is like carrying a machine, and carrying a revolver is like carrying a tool... I like the feeling of that TOYOTA-like reliability in the pocket versus capacity..

:)
    Tennessee Jed likes this.

I'm sure everyone has seen the guy who does the torture test gauntlet thing. (I still have a hard time admitting I sat through those videos.) The 1911 hardly got out of the gate. The Sig 226 "failed". I think a Glock he tested faired well. I believe the HK USP was one of the few that "survived" pretty much everything.

But I dont know of a situation for me where any firearm would be in that condition, and I would need to use it.
    G26Raven, airslot and drmordo like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I carry both a revolver & a semi-auto (not simultaneously)
    The revolver had had one malfunction, cylinder wouldn't close. There was a deformation on the rim of one cartridge.
    My semi-auto has been flawless, except for one 50-round box of ammo.
    So my only failures with either firearm has been ammo-related. Not any inherent shortcomings of the firearm design.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Quality revolvers are extremely reliable. Semi autos have more parts prone to breaking, jamming , etc. I have never had a revolver fail me, except Taurus brand.
    Nix and G26Raven like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Senior Moderator
    I've operated gritty revolvers in the field and they work fine. They may not like it and they will sound wretched through their mechanical cycle, but they fired when called upon. Thing is, I didn't persist in operating them in that condition, choosing instead to clean them or at least wipe them out best I could until I could clean them.

I'm under no illusions that the automatic is as reliable as the revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

sgb
    I have 1 revolver, 1 S&W 442 that is strictly a pocket backup gun. Revolver or semi-automatic ................ it's only as reliable as your maintenance of it.
    G26Raven, OD* and Chief1297 like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links