Why I believe we're kidding ourselves about long guns for home defense - Page 2

Why I believe we're kidding ourselves about long guns for home defense

This is a discussion on Why I believe we're kidding ourselves about long guns for home defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a huge tool box with lots of tools. The tool I choose depends on the job. Same goes for firearms whether in home ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Why I believe we're kidding ourselves about long guns for home defense

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I have a huge tool box with lots of tools. The tool I choose depends on the job. Same goes for firearms whether in home self-defense or other roles.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

VIP Member
    Not saying you’re wrong in your scenario, only that I would prefer (and have) options depending upon circumstances. Two examples: Someone at the door when I’m up.....likely concealed handgun. Bump in the night when asleep.....short “long gun”. YMMV.
    OldChap and OD* like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Unexpected knock on the door - Handgun. The sound of a window breaking, I will have my 12 gauge. It doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other.
    OldChap, OD* and Nmuskier like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    If you are going around corners with a long gun and the gun passes the corner before you can see in order for someone to grab it, you're doing it wrong. (Think shockwave or mossberg 590). This means you will have to move it away from your shoulder. At room distances, point shooting shouldnt be difficult. There are some occasions where handguns just work better like answering a door. Searching and clearing a building or home is something that untrained/one-person folks should avoid. Handguns are not as effective as a defensive weapon. They just arent. That doesnt mean they cant be effective...
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

This is why I don't play well on "If you could only have one gun" scenarios and polls. My go-to-gun varies from an NAA Mini-Mag 22M in my swim trunks pocket through a 12 gauge shotgun to a rifle for home defense out to 1,000 yards. If I use my shotgun inside of my house, it is carried at my hip with half in front of me and half in back of me. Point shooting is your friend at close quarters.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I keep a pistol and an AR next to my bed. Depending on the scenario I will choose which one will be put to use. In most cases I foresee it being the pistol.
    ETXhiker and Rockymonster like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    This is why I don't play well on "If you could only have one gun" scenarios and polls. My go-to-gun varies from an NAA Mini-Mag 22M in my swim trunks pocket through a 12 gauge shotgun to a rifle for home defense out to 1,000 yards. If I use my shotgun inside of my house, it is carried at my hip with half in front of me and half in back of me. Point shooting is your friend at close quarters.
    Exactly...I may even push the shotgun out in front of me provided there is room and look over the barrel with both eyes, just not shouldered. I will pull it back as I approach and obstacle or corner. It is something that must be practiced...
    LimaCharlie, Rockymonster and OD* like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by matheath View Post
    So to open the door with a rifle in my hand (especially an evil black one) ensures that the encounter takes an awkward turn. Add to that, depending on the mood of any law enforcement officer on duty that night, such a decision could absolutely and realistically lead to my arrest... right or wrong. Consequently I might be inclined to open the door unarmed.
    Um, even in my "liberal" area, the Sheriff would expect citizens to answer a knock at 11 pm armed. The rural mountains are different than "Snowflakeville".
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; November 1st, 2019 at 12:39 PM.
    OldChap, Rockymonster and OD* like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Senior Moderator
    I like to mention the "day gun" here, a Winchester Model 1907 .351. It sits nearby as I type.

But, if answering the door for uninvited callers in the wee late hours, the M1 Carbine will be in hand and if the caller takes umbrage then tough. I don't have to reveal all, don't need wave it menacingly and can minimize its presence in murky shadow by my 6'3" bulk. The M1 Carbine's my choice if I can get out of bed and get my feet on the floor. I can shoot it (one-handed if necessary and repeatedly with no pump action requiring both hands), can club with it, thrust with it, butt stroke with it. Don't want to resort to fighting hand-to-hand using it, but it'd be a whole sight better than any handgun. The bedside .38 Special is like an insurance rider, just in case of some additional disaster up close and personal.

I really appreciate the original poster for creating this thread on such a topic. For me though, personal defense is not ambiguous, and will not be nuanced. It will be as discreet as possible, but not to the point of disadvantage. Ambiguity is the mind's creation. For personal defense I have no choice but to rely on the exactness of certitude in contemplating personal defense. Whether contemplating self-defense or actually facing a situation the mind set must first be: "I will defend" and not: "what is somebody going to think?" If they're not happy with what they find, then they've "got the same clothes to get glad in."
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    A handgun for tight spaces, makes sense. No tight spaces in our home.
    Over penetration killing the neighbors, ok. Our closest neighbor is over 100 yards away, other neighbors are few and farther away.
    Knock on the door, no one has ever knocked on our door. Our property is fenced, gates always closed. Our dogs let us know if anyone stops outside the gate.
    We live rural, so city tactics don't apply. The reverse is true too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    OD* and ugh762x39 like this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Your life, your home, your decision. And you severely limit your options by your carefully selected scenarios. How about this one, based on a REAL life situation. There are five armed home invaders breaking into your home. Are you going to use your 10 round EDC? How about that 17 round Glock? Or would you rather have a 30 round AR or buckshot loaded shotgun? You want to stick to just handguns for home defense? That's your choice. For most situations, I would generally agree. For me and my house, when we move out of the apartment into a house, you better believe I'll be getting a long gun. That's my choice because there are times that a long gun better fits the situation. Again, MY choice, the choice that many have gone to and relied upon to save their lives and the lives of their families. There are many situations that a handgun just wouldn't have fit the situation, like the pair who defended themselves with an AR and a pistol and it required over 30 rounds. Do the research.

You are kidding yourself by trying to convince others that proven defenses are not appropriate.
    OldChap and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    But you're . . .

Well, you know.
    OD* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It is always amazing to me how many folks fail to consider one essential piece of gear that invalidates the "if I have a long gun, someone will grab the barrel and take it away from me" argument. That piece is a PROPER CQB SLING. On the other hand, take a course and see how easy it to disarm someone holding a pistol on you.

The other thing is, whether you're using a pistol, rifle, carbine, shotgun, shoe horn, hair dryer - whatever...learn to use it properly and above all, get enough good instruction that you know how to use it properly. Remember, right tool for the job.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

If someone you don’t know is at your door late at night, don’t open it regardless of whether you are armed.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    If someone you don’t know is at your door late at night, don’t open it regardless of whether you are armed.
    I almost forgot. My favorite front door sign.

Why I believe we're kidding ourselves about long guns for home defense-appointment_only_sign_2048x.jpg
    Rockymonster, Sister, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links