It's kind of like a 3" S&W M13 on steroids...

This is a discussion on It's kind of like a 3" S&W M13 on steroids... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked this up today. It's a 5 screw S&W M1917 that has been chopped from 5" down to 3". It shoots 45 ACP from ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: It's kind of like a 3" S&W M13 on steroids...

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar

I picked this up today. It's a 5 screw S&W M1917 that has been chopped from 5" down to 3". It shoots 45 ACP from moon clips like in the picture.

At ~$450 shipped it has to be one of the most satisfying purchases I've made in many years. This one is most definitely going into the carry rotation after I ops test it next Friday.

It's kind of like a 3" S&W M13 on steroids...-20191102_003121.jpg

Very nice!
    drmordo likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

That's a sharp M1917.

The one I have is my grandfather's WW1 sidearm, so I won't mod it for sentimental reasons.

I do like the configuration of yours, though.
    bmcgilvray and drmordo like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator

Oh man, I would love to have that meownself!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I bet the lockwork is superb. My 50s vintage are so much more precise than my newer ones. It will make your 629 feel gaudy and fat.
    OD*, bmcgilvray and drmordo like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Beautiful revolver! As we say in Texas, you done good.
    drmordo, OD* and bmcgilvray like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Very, very nice...!!! The .45ACP N-frames have always been favorites of mine. Congrats on your find.
    Struckat, OD*, drmordo and 1 others like this.
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

I wouldíve jumped all over that...

Nice!
    drmordo, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    That is one fantastic wheelgun!
    drmordo and bmcgilvray like this.

Wow, that's fantastic. Is it the factory barrel, cut down?
    drmordo, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Wow. I want one of those!

I see a Model 1917 S&W every one in a while in local shops, usually priced more than I want to give, and have never seen one modified in a beneficial way, as yours obviously is. Nice.

Congrats!!
    Last edited by sparkyfender; November 3rd, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
    OD*, drmordo and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I picked this up today. It's a 5 screw S&W M1917 that has been chopped from 5" down to 3". It shoots 45 ACP from moon clips like in the picture.

At ~$450 shipped it has to be one of the most satisfying purchases I've made in many years. This one is most definitely going into the carry rotation after I ops test it next Friday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191102_003121.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	834.9 KB 
ID:	305624
    You are a lucky dog! Great find at a great price.....waiting for the range report!
    bmcgilvray and drmordo like this.

Senior Moderator
    Oh man!

You can't do that!

It's a hundred years old!

Yeah boy!

That'll do right there. Six rounds of reliable revolver .45 caliber heavy lead goodness in a tote-able package. OOOooo... I'm so envious! This is one of those: "Why haven't I thought of that moments to look in on your thread. I've long wished for one of those 3-inch Smith & Wesson Lew Horton .44 Speicals or else a 3-inch Smith & Wesson Model 625 Model of 1989, yet didn't want to turn loose of the green it takes to acquire one. Have seen and poo poo'ed and turned up my nose over about a jillion cut down Smith & Wesson Model 1917 .45 ACP revolvers as ruined collectibles at gun shows and on GunBroker and never thought of making one of them my own for some most excellent big-bore N-Frame Smith & Wesson personal protection.

That one's done up just right too with the N-Frame walnut checkered Magnas with the T-Grip. Umm ... Umm ... !!! Good lookin' Baughman ramp front sight that looks to be the right height for .45 ACP point-of-impact on target at handgun ranges. That pre-war action will cycle so smoothly and slick. N-Frame double-action is where it's at for it's so easy to make hits that it seems the big revolvers just shoot themselves and all one has to do is hang on.

You need to pinch yourself on that acquisition for it's almost too good to be true.

Please provide some shooting impressions.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Wow, that's fantastic. Is it the factory barrel, cut down?
    It looks to me like it's a factory barrel cut down, and then a aftermarket front sight mounted on it. The work is beautiful to my eyes, but the gun has been abused since the work was done so has some still pretty minor finish issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Oh man!

You can't do that!

It's a hundred years old!

Yeah boy!

That'll do right there. Six rounds of reliable revolver .45 caliber heavy lead goodness in a tote-able package. OOOooo... I'm so envious! This is one of those: "Why haven't I thought of that moments to look in on your thread. I've long wished for one of those 3-inch Smith & Wesson Lew Horton .44 Speicals or else a 3-inch Smith & Wesson Model 625 Model of 1989, yet didn't want to turn loose of the green it takes to acquire one. Have seen and poo poo'ed and turned up my nose over about a jillion cut down Smith & Wesson Model 1917 .45 ACP revolvers as ruined collectibles at gun shows and on GunBroker and never thought of making one of them my own for some most excellent big-bore N-Frame Smith & Wesson personal protection.

That one's done up just right too with the N-Frame walnut checkered Magnas with the T-Grip. Umm ... Umm ... !!! Good lookin' Baughman ramp front sight that looks to be the right height for .45 ACP point-of-impact on target at handgun ranges. That pre-war action will cycle so smoothly and slick. N-Frame double-action is where it's at for it's so easy to make hits that it seems the big revolvers just shoot themselves and all one has to do is hang on.

You need to pinch yourself on that acquisition for it's almost too good to be true.

Please provide some shooting impressions.
    As you know, I hang out on http://smith-wessonforum.com, and guys occasionally post revolvers that were modded back when gunsmiths knew how to work on revolvers instead of only knowing how to cerakote a Glock. To me, these guns are fascinating because they show off the artistry of the gunsmith on the canvas that S&W provided. They are almost like a form of Folk Art, though I hesitate to use that expression because IMO "Folk Art" is a marketing term usually used to sell glued together junk to rubes. I've dreamed about getting one of those hot-rodded guns for a while, and when this one showed up on a site I follow, I couldn't resist. I've seen much nicer ones by notable smiths, but this one was cheap and I'd honestly been thinking about having a beat-up Brazilian M1917 I own cut down anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    It looks to me like it's a factory barrel cut down, and then a aftermarket front sight mounted on it. The work is beautiful to my eyes, but the gun has been abused since the work was done so has some still pretty minor finish issues.

As you know, I hang out on http://smith-wessonforum.com, and guys occasionally post revolvers that were modded back when gunsmiths knew how to work on revolvers instead of only knowing how to cerakote a Glock. To me, these guns are fascinating because they show off the artistry of the gunsmith on the canvas that S&W provided. They are almost like a form of Folk Art, though I hesitate to use that expression because IMO "Folk Art" is a marketing term usually used to sell glued together junk to rubes. I've dreamed about getting one of those hot-rodded guns for a while, and when this one showed up on a site I follow, I couldn't resist. I've seen much nicer ones by notable smiths, but this one was cheap and I'd honestly been thinking about having a beat-up Brazilian M1917 I own cut down anyway.
    Huh.

Iíve got a beat-up old Brazilian in the back of the safe...

Then again, I also have a 325 Night Guard...

But then again, Iím not in that Brazilian for very much...

Hmm...
    OD*, drmordo and bmcgilvray like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links