Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun - Page 5

Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun

This is a discussion on Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The most shootable small gun I have ever seen is the Sig P238. It is easy enough for my lady shooters to manage and shoot ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun

The most shootable small gun I have ever seen is the Sig P238. It is easy enough for my lady shooters to manage and shoot well. You can get flush fit mags or ones with pinky extensions. The most concealable handgun I have seen is the Kel Tec P-32. It offers decent flexibility with either 7 round or 10 round magazines. Recoil is manageable and with the Underwood ammo it is a more serious caliber to consider. If you have arthritis I would recommend standard pressure ammo.
    jstert and MMinSC like this.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

For me the Glock 42 works well.

@Talldog - I found the Smartcarry intolerable when worn centered, as designed. However, shifting it left (I’m right handed) allowed the muzzle to go down the front of my left leg. I centered the bottom of the grip on my zipper line.

I carried my G19 and G26 in very NPEs this way daily for three years. Eventually the pressure in the same spot while driving became painful and I switched to smaller pocket pistols.

Belly bands tend to rotate out of position on me, and the retention strap makes the draw slow. Others have better experience with theirs.

Hope this helps.
    Talldog and jstert like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Like many here, I've owned dozens of .380ACP's over the past 32 years.

For me, the Glock 42 is the softest shooting and arguably the finest EDC pistol ever made that is chambered in .380ACP.

And since I'm a huge fan of .380ACP for law enforcement backup [and civilian carry], I'd go so far as to say the Glock 42 is the finest EDC ever made for those roles.
    Holmes375 and jstert like this.

As a retired State Police Trooper, I would suggest a 20 gauge double barrel or pump inexpensive shotgun with 000 buckshot. Then carry a KelTec P32 in your pocket.

The worst gun charge you may face is a conservation law violation for the 20 gauge. As far as the P32 is concerned, just keep it in your pocket and never tell anyone you have it.

Trooper Joe
    jstert and MMinSC like this.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Although I have friends who know guns, who like kahr pistols, you can count me as one who doesn’t have much faith in them too. I’ve had the P9, CW9, PM 9 and CM9 models. I had issues with the top round staying put in the magazines; FTF with them all, they have a stiff slide, and that darn long as a hard days work trigger is NOT like a DA revolver to me at all. No thank you, too many quality control issues to count with the brand for me to consider one as a viable self defense gun.

AIWB is definitely the way to go if you can pull it off. For me, that means a low riding gun in a low riding holster; I find the Vedder light tuck with its adjustable height and cant to be just right. Got a bit of a belly? Try dropping that holster down a notch or so. That’s a lot easier than losing 35-40 lbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    As a retired State Police Trooper, I would suggest a 20 gauge double barrel or pump inexpensive shotgun with 000 buckshot. Then carry a KelTec P32 in your pocket.

The worst gun charge you may face is a conservation law violation for the 20 gauge. As far as the P32 is concerned, just keep it in your pocket and never tell anyone you have it.

Trooper Joe
    No. The "worst gun charge you may face" will be carrying an illegally-concealed weapon, if you live in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, or California.
    And, depending upon where in New York or California, and at what time of year, you may also be in trouble for carrying (openly) a loaded shotgun.

Truth be told, Trooper Joe, that's really bad advice.
    And from a cop, too!
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    No. The "worst gun charge you may face" will be carrying an illegally-concealed weapon, if you live in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, or California.
    And, depending upon where in New York or California, and at what time of year, you may also be in trouble for carrying (openly) a loaded shotgun.

Truth be told, Trooper Joe, that's really bad advice.
    And from a cop, too!
    In reviewing your post, I have to agree with you. I was thinking of someone in a motor home, traveling the country (maybe I picked up that line of thought from another thread).

In Michigan (and other “flyover states”), a loaded shotgun in a vehicle (not necessarily open to everyone’s view) will probably get you a misdemeanor conservation law charge which is less of a problem than a felony charge of carrying a handgun.

Also, my comment of a small, 6 oz P-32, in your pocket and never, never tell anyone you have it, dates back to the pre-shall issue era. A lot of my civilian friends could not get a carry permit in those days so most of the Troopers I knew would advise them to do this if they truly felt a need to carry for their own or their family’s protection.

Again, sorry for my post. I did not think it through properly.

Trooper Joe
    ETXhiker and jstert like this.

there comes a point where i can't control these micro guns. no idea why; it's not an arthritis problem or anything else. i've shot/owned a lot of these guns and was awful with them. so bad i got rid of them. man, the only thing safe at the range was the target. the smallest gun i can shoot is the Sig p365. a tad bit larger than most of the mentioned guns, but i can shoot it accurately. matter of fact, i find it pretty easy to shoot. slightly smaller than the Glock 42 i sold, and it's a 9mm instead of a .380. conceals well for me. i think it's worth looking into; i had given up on the G42 and all other micro guns until the Sig came out

@Talldog

Keep the G26 and look at lighter defense loads designed for less recoil. With current bullet technology you might find a round with good penetration/wound properties and still have reduced recoil.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/to...-defense-ammo/

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1
    @Talldog

Keep the G26 and look at lighter defense loads designed for less recoil. With current bullet technology you might find a round with good penetration/wound properties and still have reduced recoil.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/to...-defense-ammo/
    The G26 is tangential to this discussion. The real point was that I was looking for something invisible (but shootable for me) in the event that I were to find myself in an extreme non-permissive environment.

At this point, I'm hoping this will be more of a theoretical issue than a real one. We got fingerprinted two days ago at our local PD, and as soon as we can get to CVS for passport photos, we will be sending in applications for Florida non-resident permits. Assuming we get those, that will add five states to my New Hampshire permit. Throw in my Connecticut and Massachusetts permits, and I will be legal in 36 states. We've gone over the map carefully, and we're pretty sure we can avoid any overnight stays in unfriendly states. In the event that we find ourselves where we shouldn't be, well...
    Wavygravy and jstert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I have a need for the absolutely most concealable gun that I can carry, in a caliber that can get the job done. Something even smaller than my G42. My problem is that I have arthritis in my hands, and it is severe enough that I can't even shoot my G26 any more without a pinky extension on the mag. I'm thinking that .380 is probably as small as I should go, but it has to be shootable, e.g. not something like a KelTec P3AT. I've known a couple of folks who owned those and told me they were painful to shoot. I'm thinking about the Kahr P380, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with that pistol. Or if anyone has any other ideas. Again, it has to be really small, but it has to be shootable for someone with physical limitations. I might also consider a .32ACP, but I already know that a 9mm in the size I'm looking for would be unfeasible.
    As a big Kahr fan if you have physical limitations i would not recommend one...They have some of the hardest slides to rack.
    Wavygravy and OakBluff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    As a big Kahr fan if you have physical limitations i would not recommend one...They have some of the hardest slides to rack.
    I have to agree with you, Cornhusker. I had a couple of Kahr PM9's that were nice guns but were ridiculously hard to rack the slide. I ended up trading them away because of that issue.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

This may not fit your needs, but although I own a Colt Mustang Pocket lite in .380, my "go to" pistol for concealment is a Kimber Tactical Ultra II - a 1911 .45 with a 3" barrel. I like it.

Don't overlook the s&w 380 ez. Its one of the best shooting .380s I've ever shot. I highly recommend it.
    jstert likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links