Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun

This is a discussion on Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a need for the absolutely most concealable gun that I can carry, in a caliber that can get the job done. Something even ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun

I have a need for the absolutely most concealable gun that I can carry, in a caliber that can get the job done. Something even smaller than my G42. My problem is that I have arthritis in my hands, and it is severe enough that I can't even shoot my G26 any more without a pinky extension on the mag. I'm thinking that .380 is probably as small as I should go, but it has to be shootable, e.g. not something like a KelTec P3AT. I've known a couple of folks who owned those and told me they were painful to shoot. I'm thinking about the Kahr P380, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with that pistol. Or if anyone has any other ideas. Again, it has to be really small, but it has to be shootable for someone with physical limitations. I might also consider a .32ACP, but I already know that a 9mm in the size I'm looking for would be unfeasible.
    ETXhiker, Old Man and jstert like this.

Go to a range and rent a few. See which one you can shoot easily and hit what you aim at.

A Sig P238 is very shootable. Even with plus P ammunition.

Have you tried a Sig Sauer P365? G43X ? P365XL?

A P3AT has stout recoil because the grip is thin.

Another option is a revolver such as a S&W 442 38+P or 640 357 Magnum. Loading 38 cal, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cuda66, Haywood and 5lima30ret like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You said concealable, but did not so had to be light weight. Therefore an all steel handgun to help reduce recoil may be considered. Unfortunately it seems like when they make them small they also make them light. Is a J frame S&W too big? I am thinking the all steel 640 with light 38 special loads, maybe wadcutters. How about a 22 rf? In many small semi auto I would not be too confident of reliability. But an all steel S&W kit gun on J frame in 22 rf would be both reliable and really light on recoil.

Might consider the ruger SR22. It is light recoiling and one I have seems reliable with right ammo, but I have not shot all that much. Might be too big?
    https://ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html
    CDRGlock and jstert like this.

- the Kahr P380 is a lemon. Mine went back to the factory 2 times since new
    - try a j-frame with some novel low-recoil 38 specials
    - or try a 32 seecamp or keltec

:)
    CDRGlock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Sig P238. Smaller than the G42, but easier to shoot and rack the slide on. The one downside is it has a manual safety that you would have to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I have a need for the absolutely most concealable gun that I can carry, in a caliber that can get the job done. ...
    Talldog,

You might try the Kahr K9. It is a small, very concealable, all-steel (heavy, being 25 ounces empty with mag), single-stack, 9mm +P-rated pistol that should be more comfortable for someone with arthritis in his hands, to shoot. I own a K9 and couldn't be more pleased with it. Its baby brother, the MK9 is even smaller (and, at 23 oz, is almost as heavy), and, so, is even more concealable.

rx7sig
    sparkyfender likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    You said:

...it has to be really small...
    Unless you define "really small", you will get all manner of recommendations that others believe fits the "really small" category, but may not fit yours even close. What size is no longer "really small" to you?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    You said:

Unless you define "really small", you will get all manner of recommendations that others believe fits the "really small" category, but may not fit yours even close. What size is no longer "really small" to you?
    He did say it had to be smaller than his G42.

Once we go below that size AND it has to be a soft shooter, the options narrow considerably. Might want to try the P238 HD. Being the all steel version it has a decent weight to it and since the alloy version shoots quite soft, all steel should really be sweet.
    CDRGlock, rx7sig and Old Man like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

The Sig P290RS 380 and 9mm are the same height(3.9"), length(5.5"), and width(1.1") as the P238. The P290 is a double action only (DOA) pistol, and for some that is a plus and others it is a minus. I have owned both versions (380 and 9mm), and the P290RS is the softest 380 I have owned, and I have owned quite a few. It is 5 oz heavier than the P238. If cocked and locked is your preference, P238 would work, if heavier trigger with a second strike capability matters the P290RS might work. One benefit of the P290RS is that you can get it in 9mm and it has the same dimensions as the P238, in a DAO platform.

I had no failure issues with either P290RS that I owned.

Looking for a small, but "shootable" gun-sig_sauer_p290rs_locked_open.jpg

Not too easy to find, but always a variety of new and used on Gunbroker.
    BigBiscuit and Buckeye63 like this.

Ths Sig P238 in a Desaints NEMESIS pocket holster is my personal summertime, wearing shots, weapon of choice. I use the magazine pinkie extension.

Considering your hands issues, my recommendation is the Walther PPK/s..

The first round double action 11 lbs pull is a bit much, but cocks it and the Walther, is an easy to shoot, and accurate pistol.I use the magazine pinkie extension.

Loaded with quality HP ammo, I do and have counted on these two pistols to handle, any issues that should come up as a civilian. For small pistols both pistols are very accurate, and I have no problem qualifying with either as an expert in the State of Florida Officer qualification test.
    CDRGlock and 5lima30ret like this.

Id also agree with the P238; if that doesnt work...Id look at a Beretta Tomcat in .32.
    CDRGlock, 5lima30ret and jstert like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

flh
    The Ruger LCP is very small with the right holster it's the same size as your wallet , I had the 3752 mdl with the laser .

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

Go Pack Go

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC
    Once we go below that size AND it has to be a soft shooter, the options narrow considerably. Might want to try the P238 HD. Being the all steel version it has a decent weight to it and since the alloy version shoots quite soft, all steel should really be sweet.
    This is something I would at least consider (I used to own a P938), although I would prefer something without a safety. I know the width of 1.1" includes the safety, which is kind of misleading. Does anyone know what the width is not including the safety.

The reason I'm really interested in the Kahr P380/CW380 is that the grip height is about a quarter inch shorter than my 42, and it is .2" thinner. At the same time, it's still about 12oz, which might make it a bit easier to shoot than the P3AT or the LCP.
    MMinSC and CDRGlock like this.

LCP with a Hogue grip and pinky extension is very manageable and very small.

Name:  LCP Hogue Pinky.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  9.0 KB
    CDRGlock and The Old Anglo like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links