How Do You Decide What Is Necessary For EDC (Specifically What Weapon)?

This is a discussion on How Do You Decide What Is Necessary For EDC (Specifically What Weapon)? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's currently a discussion on another forum that I participate at in which the OP is considering carrying a full size handgun and two spare ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: How Do You Decide What Is Necessary For EDC (Specifically What Weapon)?

There's currently a discussion on another forum that I participate at in which the OP is considering carrying a full size handgun and two spare magazines (for a total of 3) in the backpack that he carries daily to work. He currently carries a J frame in his pocket, no reloads were mentioned.

His rationale is to have the gun available should he want to concealed carry outside of work or to have the gun available should things go crazy at work.

Except for the fact that there is no way that I would leave a handgun unsecured in a back pack at work, none of this really sounds unreasonable to me.

However, as the discussion has progressed a couple of people have responded that they're carrying AR pistols and in one case a CZ Scorpion to work in their daypacks everyday. To me that just seems like overkill. It also seems to me that you're more likely to get caught with that at work and be terminated immediately than you are to need it at work or on the way home.

So my question is how do you make the determination (I'm sorry I can't think of another way to phrase this) that a rifle is what you need to EDC?

To put it a different way how do you determine what weaponry is necessary for your daily life?

I realize that this could be a really broad topic but since the discussion that prompted me to think about this was focused strictly on the gun that's kind of what I'm limiting myself to in this discussion.

I work alone, I'm literally the only person in the building right now. The odds of me being a victim of workplace violence are almost non-existent. I'm literally more likely to be attacked by raccoon (guess how I know).

I live four miles from where I work. If the balloon went up I could walk home in an hour. I'm looking at Cheyenne Mountain as I type this so if the balloon REALLY went up I'd see the beginnings of a bright white flash and that's the last thing I'd ever see anyway.

If the Rapture happens you guys are welcome to loot the building, loot my car, take my gun, whatever I won't need it anymore.

I said all that to say that I judge myself to be adequately armed right now with a Glock 26, one reload and a can of Sabre Red. At most I've considered throwing a couple extra magazines in my backpack but I haven't got around to it yet.

What criteria do you use to decide what kind of gun you're going to carry on a daily basis? What eventualities are you preparing for?

I think one should look at his daily life and think about things likely to happen.

And not spend much time worrying about scenarios discussed on the Internet.

Not try preparing for the worst case situations in news stories.

And don't waste time on dooms day end-of-world prepping.

Distinguished Member
    I live in a fairly upscale resort town of 1200. Crime, especially violent crime, is basically non-existent. O murders in the past 15 years, 2 robberies, and 10 assaults, only 1 with a deadly weapon. I either carry a .380 in my pocket or a small 9mm IWB if I'm going to the somewhat larger town near here. I don't spend much time worrying about the "what-ifs." I have weapons that stay in the house and a "truck gun" (revolver). No backpack with rifles or anything else. Everyone else can do what makes them feel comfortable.
    jmf552, cal44, Nmuskier and 3 others like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Grant Cunningham has a great book out "Prepping for Life," where he advocates using a risk management approach to all kinds of prepping including guns. Basically, to apply this approach to your question, understand that each weapon you carry takes up resources: cost, space, need to conceal, hassle, training, etc. You also need to accept there is no way to completely eliminate or mitigate any risk. No matter what you do, any risk can overwhelm you in some sets of circumstances. You just want to manage the risks most effectively with available resources.

You first list all the risks you might encounter in your daily activities. Then rate each risk on your subjective assessment as to how severe that risk would be if it happened, 1-10. Then rate each risk on your subjective assessment of how likely that risk is to occur, 1-10. Multiply the two numbers and rank the risks by the scores. Start with the highest scored items and decide what equipment you would realistically want to have to deal with them. Then assess if that is practical. If it is not, you may need to have a different strategy for that risk (like evade instead of engage), or you may decide the risk score is so low, or the resource demand is so high, you just ignore it and take your chances. See if you can solve some of the higher scored items with the same equipment.

So, examples: Getting robbed at gunpoint. Probably at least an 8 for severity, and depending on where you live and what you do, let's say a 3 for likelihood, so a score of 24. Equipment? Let's say you want a fairly potent concealed handgun and you decide that is a fairly do-able use of resources. You can afford one, conceal one, get training on one, etc. That use of resources is justified by a 24. You may also find that solution covers other risks on your list, like a mass shooting, or you may decide it does not. But if you can find one solution that covers multiple likely risks, it is an even better use of resources.

An wild example Cunningham uses is, you could encounter a platoon of N. Korean paratroopers invading the US. Severity 10, likelihood 1 (or less). So it is a 10, meaning low risk. The weapons you would need to handle it on your own are probably not even possible to obtain. So that is not something you are going to try to solve with an EDC, so you decide to ignore the risk or come up with a different strategy, like escape and evasion.

If you go through all your risks like that, it starts to become more clear what resources it is worth it to you can bring to bear. Getting specific weapon choice advice on the internet has nothing to do with your personal situation and preferences.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

sgb
    If I'm wearing pants I'm armed. In my younger days when on duty in LE I carried 3 firearms on me (Service, pocket & ankle) and had two long guns in the patrol car. Off Duty I carried two, a Colt LW Commander and a Model 60 S&W and kept a long gun in my truck.

Today being disabled/retired I carry Sig 229R 9mm with two spare mags and keep a 300 Blackout AR pistol in my truck. Better to have it and not need it ...............
    OD*, Pete63, 5lima30ret and 4 others like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by cal44 View Post
    I think one should look at his daily life and think about things likely to happen.

And not spend much time worrying about scenarios discussed on the Internet.

Not try preparing for the worst case situations in news stories.

And don't waste time on dooms day end-of-world prepping.
    I agree. A snubby 38 or pocket 380 in the hands of a proficient and motivated individual gives them magnitudes of response capabilities more than most people. Replacing that gun with say, a high cap 9mm gives them more response capability but,not much more, in fact I would argue the "more" is very little indeed. Then there is the cost of not only gun and ammo and accessories but, the real cost of keeping track and being responsible for this cache of loaded weapons in your every day life. If I have my EDC I don't need a "truck gun",etc.
    The market sells guns, ammo, training and accessories so its to their advantage to get us all buying guns and worrying about the next SHTF scenario. Lets say you actually had to fend off a robber with your carry pistol and then it comes up in court that you also had multiple handguns and rifles stashed around you daily? Yes, all legal but, even I would consider you a paranoid prepper and probably a little unhinged.
    Comfortable gets carried like it or not. Get comfortable,get proficient, carry on with your life and think more about your physical health than your gun choices if you want to live a longer life.

Just to clarify I'm not asking for advice. I'm just curious what other people's thought processes are.

I wanted this thread to be specifically about weapons because that's what the other discussion was but living in Colorado there are things that I deem to be much higher priority.

A snow storm is realistically possible probably 300 days a year here. I keep a winter survival kit my car all the time because of it.

As I said my original post under my current circumstances, I deem the risk of a mass shooting at work to be almost non-existent for me. I don't bother to make extraordinary precautions for that beyond caring the same gun that I would be carrying anyway.

I have a job where if my relief doesn't show up I can't leave. As a result I have extra food in my car but that falls under the winter preparedness it would be there anyway.

Referencing your post #7, honestly, I am not preparing for much. I know some may see this as naive, but so be it. In 56 years as an adult on this planet, I have never been a victim of violent crime, and only known one person who has been. She was pretty clueless and chose to live in a bad neighborhood. She was a victim waiting to happen. The area I live in has almost zero violent crime. I also have 25 years of H2H training, carry pepper spray and have pretty good SA. I know anything can happen anywhere, though, so I do EDC, but it is either a .38 snubby or a .380 subcompact.

I carry more to exercise an important right and to have a gun if a gunfight breaks out, which is the #1 rule of gunfighting. I don't plan to intervene in other people's problems or go toe-to-toe with mass shooters. That is all my choice. Anyone else's may differ and that's fine.

If I were going somewhere that I might be isolated or have a higher risk, I would upgrade to my 1911 with five Wilson 8-round mags loaded with +P JHPs, plus a backup gun, on my person. I would also have my Winchester Model 12 riot shotgun with plenty of both buckshot and slugs. Would that handle everything? No. Would it handle most things? I think so.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

My reply on whether high capacity is "needed" ...
    Specific answer to this thread in bold.

I've been carrying concealed since 1992 and not once "needed" a bullet for SD.
    MY EDC is a Glock 23 + spare mag + Shield 40 in weak hand front pocket.
    Live in a "bad area"? No.
    Anticipated threat? What? If I anticipated a threat I would not go wherever.
    Do I "need" "all that"? Haven't yet. Its about what I would prefer in my hand (that is easily concealed) if I had to defend myself and options.
    Glock 23 meets my criteria of a concealable pistol that I would prefer in hand (over something "lesser") if I had to defend myself.
    Shield 40 in weak hand front pocket is my 2nd option™
    Option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying and option to quickly access pistol if my dominant hand is unavailable.
    I'm gonna keep carrying "all that" and hope to heck I don't "need" any of it.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I carry a Sig P229 daily, with one spare magazine. Always a flashlight and a knife. The pistol is an easy gun to shoot and I would rather have a larger pistol that is easy to shoot than a smaller one, given the choice. I also am a firm believer in the fact that bad guys don't always travel alone and I would prefer to have sufficient capacity to deal with that fact should the need arise.

I'm retired so my dress is very casual, cargo pants (or shorts) and an untucked shirt. Concealment is not an issue.

I live near a relatively small town with a population of about 30,000. Bad things don't usually happen here, until they do. About every other week I travel to another town with a population of about 150,000 with significantly more crime and every couple of months I travel to Las Vegas.
    TSKnight, Pain, Struckat and 6 others like this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I carry a Sig P229 daily, with one spare magazine. Always a flashlight and a knife. The pistol is an easy gun to shoot and I would rather have a larger pistol that is easy to shoot than a smaller one, given the choice. I also am a firm believer in the fact that bad guys don't always travel alone and I would prefer to have sufficient capacity to deal with that fact should the need arise.

I'm retired so my dress is very casual, cargo pants (or shorts) and an untucked shirt. Concealment is not an issue.

I live near a relatively small town with a population of about 30,000. Bad things don't usually happen, here until they do. About every other week I travel to another town with a population of about 150,000 with significantly more crime and every couple of months I travel to Las Vegas.
    There it is. You live in a pretty "big" town (to me) and go regularly to what I would deem dangerous areas. I would be carrying a similar setup if it was me. That's a reasonable risk/carry assessment imo.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    If I were going somewhere that I might be isolated or have a higher risk, I would upgrade to my 1911 with five Wilson 8-round mags loaded with +P JHPs, plus a backup gun, on my person. I would also have my Winchester Model 12 riot shotgun with plenty of both buckshot and slugs. Would that handle everything? No. Would it handle most things? I think so.
    Why 5?

I carry extra magazines in multiples of 2 because all my magazine carriers are double magazine carriers.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    99% of the time - one EDC to cover all needs = 9mm w a spare
    G26Raven likes this.

Whatever gun I always carry multiple reloads. The magazine is the weak link. Carry enough gun, service pistol or magnum revolver. I have seen people take a lot of abuse and still be a viable threat. I am more concerned with the guy that just will not stop than a platoon of zombies.

During these uncertain times, a short easy to conceal long gun makes perfect sense.

There are only 2 valid reasons to carry a tiny gun. NPE and physical limitations. I just got my newest EDC.... Springfield EMP 40, not a whole lot bigger or heavier than the old PPK/s I carried as a BUG many years ago.
    OD*, Struckat, Pete63 and 6 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Why 5?

I carry extra magazines in multiples of 2 because all my magazine carriers are double magazine carriers.
    One goes in the gun. I said five magazines, not five extra magazines.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links