How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? - Page 3

How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

This is a discussion on How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried mainly striker fired handguns ever since I was legal to own and carry handguns, never had any problems with unintentional or otherwise negligent ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

I've carried mainly striker fired handguns ever since I was legal to own and carry handguns, never had any problems with unintentional or otherwise negligent discharges. I've carried a Glock 19 more specifically in every conceivable manner (IWB, OWB, shoulder, and Smart Carry) without issue. This was before I switched to the H&K VP9 which has essentially the same manual of arms as the Glock so making the switch had minimal learning curve. The biggest thing is trigger discipline and periodically performing inspections on your firearm to ensure its in working order.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    Interesting... I would think most people reholster without altering their grip, so wouldn't that result in the XD grip safety being depressed while reholstering?
    Yes, that is exactly what happens. That's why I believe it is primarily useless. I own an XDM 4.5. Love the gun.

In the end, it has the same safety as my revolvers do, my finger. As long as I am careful holstering, as JD mentioned, not to get anything in the trigger guard, there is no danger to myself. I prefer to use guns without safeties. Less for me to think about when I need to fire my gun. Up to this point in my life, and hopefully only, for hunting.
    Big Western likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Interesting... I would think most people reholster without altering their grip, so wouldn't that result in the XD grip safety being depressed while reholstering?
    If one is prone to "thumb capping" the slide as one does with a hammer fired gun or SCD equipped Glock, the web of the hand comes off the grip safety of an XD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This is the reason I've never owned a Glock and doubt I ever will. I have four XD's and feel perfectly comfortable with them because they have the grip safety. Some claim that they "don't want a stupid safety getting in the way," but I would much rather have to deal with that so-called "additional step" than risk an ND.

The Glock and (most) M&P's only have a trigger safety. Now tell me, how is that going to prevent an ND when holstering if something snags the trigger? It's not.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

No. You wrap your fingers around the front strap while your thumb holds the slide forward. It's very simple.

-miklcolt45

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    This is the reason I've never owned a Glock and doubt I ever will. I have four XD's and feel perfectly comfortable with them because they have the grip safety. Some claim that they "don't want a stupid safety getting in the way," but I would much rather have to deal with that so-called "additional step" than risk an ND.

The Glock and (most) M&P's only have a trigger safety. Now tell me, how is that going to prevent an ND when holstering if something snags the trigger? It's not.
    When you holster an XD/S/M, you lift just enough so as not to engage the grip safety....how is that any different than knowing what is between your firearm's trigger (say a Glock's) and the holster? They are all just different sides to the same coin.
    Big Western likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    When you holster an XD/S/M, you lift just enough so as not to engage the grip safety....how is that any different than knowing what is between your firearm's trigger (say a Glock's) and the holster? They are all just different sides to the same coin.
    Not quite. The cup of my hand isn't resting on the grip safety. In fact, it's pretty much suspended while the thumb holds the slide in place. With a Glock, it doesn't matter where the cup of your hand is or where your thumb is. If something snags the trigger, it goes "bang."
    drmordo likes this.

-miklcolt45

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Not quite. The cup of my hand isn't resting on the grip safety. In fact, it's pretty much suspended while the thumb holds the slide in place. With a Glock, it doesn't matter where the cup of your hand is or where your thumb is. If something snags the trigger, it goes "bang."
    You're missing the point...by knowing where the cup of your hand is you are deliberating taking action to avoid a negligent discharge. The same goes for a non-grip safety striker fired weapon...know where the trigger is in relation to what is between it and the holster as you holster...both deliberate acts designed to avoid a negligent discharge. Now I know you'll likely say but with the XD you have an intervening action to avoid the negligent discharge but the thought process and deliberateness is the same in general terms.
    Big Western likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    You're missing the point...by knowing where the cup of your hand is you are deliberating taking action to avoid a negligent discharge. The same goes for a non-grip safety striker fired weapon...know where the trigger is in relation to what is between it and the holster as you holster...both deliberate acts designed to avoid a negligent discharge. Now I know you'll likely say but with the XD you have an intervening action to avoid the negligent discharge but the thought process and deliberateness is the same in general terms.
    I understand where you're coming from. But at the same time, I still believe that the addition of a grip safety adds a layer of security. Even if something were to snag the trigger on one of my XD's, it's still not going to fire unless that same "something" also depresses the grip safety.

As I said in another thread....

1. A gun is a mechanical device.
    2. Any mechanical device can malfunction.
    3. Human beings aren't infallible.

I believe it was in the thread about AIWB carry. I won't own a pistol without any manual safety for the same reason I don't carry AIWB: "unlikely" does not equate to "impossible."
    drmordo and Workaholic like this.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If one is prone to "thumb capping" the slide as one does with a hammer fired gun or SCD equipped Glock, the web of the hand comes off the grip safety of an XD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Ahh, "the old thumb over the end of the slide trick". Thanks.
    JD likes this.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Exactly. On any non-1911 pistol, I always hold the thumb forward when holstering because otherwise, the slide can ride backwards from the friction of the holster. And like you said, this automatically takes the web of the hand off the grip safety.

With a Glock or a non-safety model M&P (and a few others), all it would take to cause an ND is something catching the trigger.
    SmoothJazz likes this.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Take a more direct approach. Buy a striker fired gun with a manual safety.
    My striker-fired edc has a manual safety. Along with 100 % trigger discipline, it gives me a second failure node.

(Full disclosure, I used to work in risk assessment and analysis.)

drmordo and Workaholic like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

No. You wrap your fingers around the front strap while your thumb holds the slide forward. It's very simple.
    A proper grip technique is what is needed to disengage the XD grip safety so one can fire a round, and many well trained shooters don't alter their grip when reholstering, so what you're saying is, one DOES have to alter their grip a bit to re-engage that XD grip safety. I'm not addressing the ease or difficulty of doing that, just that it must be done in order to re-engage the grip safety. NOT altering my grip means the grip safety stays depressed, in which case any object accidentally pressing the trigger could cause a discharge.

The grip safety doesn't bother me, but I'd never buy anything from them because of the lobbying they did back in 2017 in favor of the bill that eventually passed, that caused a huge number of licensed dealers to go under this year. That was really self serving of them.

I'll stick with my Glocks.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

A proper grip technique is what is needed to disengage the XD grip safety so one can fire a round, and many well trained shooters don't alter their grip when reholstering, so what you're saying is, one DOES have to alter their grip a bit to re-engage that XD grip safety. I'm not addressing the ease or difficulty of doing that, just that it must be done in order to re-engage the grip safety. NOT altering my grip means the grip safety stays depressed, in which case any object accidentally pressing the trigger could cause a discharge.
    I'm not arguing that point. Yes, if the grip safety is depressed when holstering and something snags the trigger, the gun fires. But..... at least it gives you the OPTION of holstering in a manner that doesn't depress the safety, thereby preventing an ND. A Glock doesn't give one that option.

The grip safety doesn't bother me, but I'd never buy anything from them because of the lobbying they did back in 2017 in favor of the bill that eventually passed, that caused a huge number of licensed dealers to go under this year. That was really self serving of them.
    I've heard that story. But for my own selfish purposes, I like Springfield and plan to not only keep mine but possibly buy more someday.
    drmordo likes this.

-miklcolt45

First off, nearly all striker fired pistols are DAO designs. While a few could best be called hybrids of a type, such as the Smith & Wesson M&P family, most are double action only pistols. And while it is also true that most of these do not have second strike capability, that does not mean the are something other than DAO pistols. Remember, a handgun's action designation relies solely upon the tasks performed by the trigger assembly.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links