How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? - Page 4

How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

This is a discussion on How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Big Western Interesting... I would think most people reholster without altering their grip, so wouldn't that result in the XD grip safety ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    Interesting... I would think most people reholster without altering their grip, so wouldn't that result in the XD grip safety being depressed while reholstering?
    My hand comes off the backstrap on every pistol I holster because my thumb is always on the hammer or between gun and hammer on a 1911 or just on the back of the slide on a striker. Just a lifetime habit I suppose but, I would never holster a gun with my firing grip on a handgun.
    SmoothJazz, airslot, JD and 3 others like this.

Wow guys, this is great disscussion with many informative comments; very glad I joined here. Though many questions have been answered, I still have many more. For three years I tried to get comfortable with the idea of carrying a PPQ, but, with its short take up and light trigger(which helped me be very accurate), I really did feel I had a rattler in my holster. With no plan for carry, I traded it for a P229; great gun, just doesn't feel and shoot as well as the Q for me.
    OldChap, airslot and DZUS like this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
    Wow guys, this is great disscussion with many informative comments; very glad I joined here. Though many questions have been answered, I still have many more. For three years I tried to get comfortable with the idea of carrying a PPQ, but, with its short take up and light trigger(which helped me be very accurate), I really did feel I had a rattler in my holster. With no plan for carry, I traded it for a P229; great gun, just doesn't feel and shoot as well as the Q for me.
    If you like the added security of 229s and Hk LEM pistols, you just need more Gray Guns in your life.

https://grayguns.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    My hand comes off the backstrap on every pistol I holster because my thumb is always on the hammer or between gun and hammer on a 1911 or just on the back of the slide on a striker. Just a lifetime habit I suppose but, I would never holster a gun with my firing grip on a handgun.
    My hand comes off the backstrap too when reholstering, thumb planted firmly on the back of the slide pushes the handgun back into the holster. It's something I do because some of my holsters are fairly snub and pushing the handgun by the backstrap can cause the gun to come out of battery. While it would probably go back into battery on the draw, I don't want to depend upon that.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Hi All

Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. The reason is fear of A/N discharge. I practice, but tight groups come much easier with aforementioned guns I don't carry. Any one been there and have good advise?
    I will NEVER CC a striker gun unless it a Walther P99AS with the decock feature or one with a non-afterthought positive manual safety. All it takes is one time for Murphy to strike and your life could be changed forever. Why make it easier for him?
    drmordo, chemcal, DZUS and 1 others like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    As evidenced by this thread, some never become comfortable with a striker fired CCW. I've gone from revolver (OWB), to 1911, to striker, to SAO hammer fired, and back to striker carried IWB. I've practiced, practiced, practiced with every firearm such that I was always safe and confident in my carry. Each person must assess their own comfort level and go with works for them. There is no one size fits all answer to the OP's question.
    Big Western and Wolf357 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Hi All

Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. The reason is fear of A/N discharge. I practice, but tight groups come much easier with aforementioned guns I don't carry. Any one been there and have good advise?

Well why not become better with the hammer fired pistols?? Good excuse to get more range time in.
    How much of a difference in groups are you getting??
    Sit down think it over. Are you going to be taking head shots at a hostage taker holding a loved one at 25 yards with only a small section of their heads showing from behind said loved one?? Chasing tight groups is fun and rewarding but sometimes way way over emphasized in my opinion. Improve your da/sa game and no need to worry over the striker fired platform. Might I suggest a nice CZ 9mm with a spring kit from Cajun Gun Works those pistols will make a mediocre shooter look good and they sexxy as heck.
    chemcal likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

"How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?"

When I learned how long striker mechanisms have been in existence, and when I learned about the Kahr "DAO" striker approach, I purchased my K9 and almost immediately began CC-ing it comfortably, with no increased fear of ND/AD.

rx7sig
    Last edited by rx7sig; November 3rd, 2019 at 04:12 PM.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    First off, nearly all striker fired pistols are DAO designs. While a few could best be called hybrids of a type, such as the Smith & Wesson M&P family, most are double action only pistols. And while it is also true that most of these do not have second strike capability, that does not mean the are something other than DAO pistols. Remember, a handgun's action designation relies solely upon the tasks performed by the trigger assembly.
    While a portion of striker fired guns could be considerd DAO, in the context of the OPs concerns this is not a benefit, as the simplicity of a DAO design is present but the length of travel and typical weight of a true DAO pistol is absent.

If one were to take a 3rd Gen S&W or a Beretta D model and compare it to any current striker fired pistol , except for anything in a NYPD configuration, the difference in trigger characteristics is astounding.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I generally require a DA trigger or a manual safety on a CCW. By DA trigger, I mean a DA/SA or a DAO, not a half-cocked striker "DA". My main daily carry is a FN Hi Power, and I have trained myself to sweep off the safety when I draw it.
    Wolf357 and WebleyHunter like this.

The difference in triggers is the reason you're seeing such a change in your shooting, but training and dry fire practice will improve that. The PPQ has one of THE lightest, shortest triggers of any pistol- I even listened to a top trainer say he thinks PPQ triggers are too risky for the average concealed carrier. Grayguns (like JD mentioned), or Robert Burke/the Sig Armorer, would do an amazing job perfecting your 229 trigger, if you so desire.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

JD
    Administrator
    @CH emical You gen get a really well set up Beretta direct from Ernest Langdon as well.

I have a couple of his 92 LTTs and have been jonesing for a PX4 LTT.

https://www.langdontactical.com/

JD

Please tell me your recommendations of what I should have Grayguns do to my P229.

All my concealed carry has been with Glock and, for the past 5.5 years has been AIWB. I plan on, and expect, no NDs holstering or drawing. I donít reholster AIWB but instead unsnap and pull the holster and insert the Glock into it in plain view and without muzzling myself or anyone else. Then I replace the holster into waistband. No problemas.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

JD
    Administrator
    JD

Please tell me your recommendations of what I should have Grayguns do to my P229.
    Either the action cleanup package or the EDC straight trigger system. Call them up and discuss things. They'll steer you right.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links