How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? - Page 6

How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

This is a discussion on How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very rarely would a gun (striker or hammer) go off for no reason. Proper handling is paramount and usually a N/D is user error. I ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Results 76 to 88 of 88
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

  1. #76
    Member Array DrummerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    68
    Very rarely would a gun (striker or hammer) go off for no reason. Proper handling is paramount and usually a N/D is user error. I carry my striker fired Walther and CZ appendix with no worries at all, but I practice drawing from concealment and holstering on a regular basis. So to answer your post question practice, practice, practice.
    Marc_Brooks likes this.
    Beretta 92 FS Compact Inox
    CZ 2075 RAMI
    CZ P-07
    CZ P-10c
    Walther PPS

  2. #77
    Distinguished Member
    Array StevePVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,790
    My rule #1 is a holster that covers the trigger guard.

  3. #78
    Senior Member Array OlCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Where the deer and the antelope roam
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
    Hi All

    Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. The reason is fear of A/N discharge. I practice, but tight groups come much easier with aforementioned guns I don't carry. Any one been there and have good advise?
    First welcome to the forum. Second, no matter what others say, and some good advice has been given, you should carry what makes you feel safe and comfortable. I had carried a striker fired pistol with no safety on duty for several years and I have to say I was not as comfortable with it as I was with a DA/SA that I had carried prior to that. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle. I now carry a striker with a grip safety which I am more comfortable with when holstering. Again, do what is best for you and train hard.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #79
    Member Array Mjolnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
    Yesterday I sent my P229 to the Sig Armorer. If it comes back the way expected, it will become a CCW along with my HK P2000 LEM V1.5(Todd Green). The only striker I've warmed up to is a P99AS. Interesting, there is a thread on here about the VP9 and similar strikers. These are great guns and easy to shoot accurately. However, I don't expect to be carrying one or even my very accurate 1911. fact: "its just more forgiving of my human screw ups."(forester58)
    The 1911 is even more forgiving than any DA/SA with no external safety.

    It’s the safest of all carry pistols.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #80
    Member Array Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    The 1911 is even more forgiving than any DA/SA with no external safety.

    It’s the safest of all carry pistols.
    Care to elaborate?
    Mjolnir likes this.

  7. #81
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    20,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    The 1911 is even more forgiving than any DA/SA with no external safety.

    It’s the safest of all carry pistols.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure Tex Grebner disagrees.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  8. #82
    New Member Array chemcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    The 1911 is even more forgiving than any DA/SA with no external safety.

    It’s the safest of all carry pistols.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I too would like clarification.
    Mjolnir likes this.

  9. #83
    New Member Array bjrjar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Benicia
    Posts
    13

    How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

    In my opinion-any SA/DA 6 shooter with only 5 rounds chambered would be the absolute safest carry ...

    But my Sig P238 feels safe in a pocket holster that covers the trigger guard and the external safety is on...

    Bob



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #84
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    20,584
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrjar View Post
    In my opinion-any SA/DA 6 shooter with only 5 rounds chambered would be the absolute safest carry ...

    But my Sig P238 feels safe in a pocket holster that covers the trigger guard and the external safety is on...

    Bob



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    John Wayne was tall.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  11. #85
    Member Array Mjolnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    32
    A 1911 with its safety engaged CANNOT fire.

    It also has a firing pin block (some models) or a lightweight firing pin (9mm titanium firing pin for Springfield) AND a grip safety.

    And if anyone would say, “I do not trust safeties” my response is at one time you didn’t trust firearms or shoot them well nor were you safe with them: these are all training issues.

    Deactivating & Activating the external safety requires “no thought” for me. If you train around it you’ve got it. PERIOD.

    We have safeties in our AR-15s and using them properly doesn’t make you slower and using the safety also requires “no effort”. Again, training.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #86
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    20,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    A 1911 with its safety engaged CANNOT fire.

    It also has a firing pin block (some models) or a lightweight firing pin (9mm titanium firing pin for Springfield) AND a grip safety.

    And if anyone would say, “I do not trust safeties” my response is at one time you didn’t trust firearms or shoot them well nor were you safe with them: these are all training issues.

    Deactivating & Activating the external safety requires “no thought” for me. If you train around it you’ve got it. PERIOD.

    We have safeties in our AR-15s and using them properly doesn’t make you slower and using the safety also requires “no effort”. Again, training.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah.....about that.

    Now granted there were several factors at play here, but the 1911 can be just as unforgiving as anything. To be honest I almost have the same cringe factor RO'ing 1911 shooters as Glock shooters.





    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  13. #87
    Member Array Mjolnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yeah.....about that.

    Now granted there were several factors at play here, but the 1911 can be just as unforgiving as anything. To be honest I almost have the same cringe factor RO'ing 1911 shooters as Glock shooters.





    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    We are speaking the INHERENT forgiveness of a pistol.

    What I said is Engineering Sound. I stand by it.

    Your video and people being a bit careless is a T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #88
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    20,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    We are speaking the INHERENT forgiveness of a pistol.

    What I said is Engineering Sound. I stand by it.

    Your video and people being a bit careless is a T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    W-E-L-L I-N T-H-I-S T-H-R-E-A-D W-E A-R-E-N-'T T-A-L-K-I-N-G A-B-O-U-T 1-9-1-1-S O-R W-H-A-T Y-O-U T-H-I-N-K I-S T-H-E S-A-F-E-S-T

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •