How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

This is a discussion on How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: How do you become comfortable with a striker for a CCW?

Hi All

Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. The reason is fear of A/N discharge. I practice, but tight groups come much easier with aforementioned guns I don't carry. Any one been there and have good advise?

I have the same experience and in 50 years of shooting handguns, I have never become comfortable with strikers for safety reasons and on top of that, I don't find some of them all that accurate either. For me, the most accurate action out-of-the-box is a 1911.

But I am sure the only answer is practice. A striker is in theory perfectly safe if you keep it in a good holster and keep "your booger hook off the bang switch" until you are read to fire, as they say. But on the other hand, look at Jerry Miculek, most of us will never be as accurate as he is, but he proves you can train yourself to be accurate with any action. It is all down to practice.

There is no accounting for what you get comfortable with. You are either comfortable or not. There are things that make me uncomfortable about some guns that other people think are trivial. And they may be right, but that doesn't make me any more comfortable. I think you are looking for something an internet forum cannot solve.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Use a good holster, and practice proper finger control. Unless you get a faulty firearm, then you will never have any issues. I've never had any issues, or concerns, carrying one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh
    Welcome to D.C.

Training & Practice , as with all things repetition builds muscle memory

I went from carrying a DA/SA to a striker it took me some time to get accustomed to the striker , now that platform is my preferred style of handgun...
    Rangers13, Pete63 and Rabbit212 like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I have the same experience and in 50 years of shooting handguns, I have never become comfortable with strikers for safety reasons and on top of that, I don't find some of them all that accurate either. For me, the most accurate action out-of-the-box is a 1911.

But I am sure the only answer is practice. A striker is in theory perfectly safe if you keep it in a good holster and keep "your booger hook off the bang switch" until you are read to fire, as they say. But on the other hand, look at Jerry Miculek, most of us will never be as accurate as he is, but he proves you can train yourself to be accurate with any action. It is all down to practice.

There is no accounting for what you get comfortable with. You are either comfortable or not. There are things that make me uncomfortable about some guns that other people think are trivial. And they may be right, but that doesn't make me any more comfortable. I think you are looking for something an internet forum cannot solve.

Welcome to the forum, from Texas. ^^^^ Here you go!^^^^
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

All in the comfort level of the individual Ö.I actually carried strikers without one in the chamber for awhile till I gained enough confidence with it. Took about a month to realize it wasn't going Bang till I pulled the trigger !!!! As with ANY other gun---practice safety safety safety !!!!
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ PCR
    I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Like most other guns they will only fire if you pull the trigger(unless itís a 320). Itís Just a matter of getting used to it.
    Macantic and Rabbit212 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    A quality holster is the safety. Just be sure you're not having any clothing get inside the holster when reholstering the handgun.
    Wavygravy and Old Man like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Dry fire(snap caps) practice from draw (quality holster) 10 minutes EVERY DAY. Keep your finger off of the trigger until you have your sights on your target (light switch), then pull the trigger.

After a couple of months, you should be good to go.
    Sixgun1 likes this.

Welcome to DC.

Learn to shoot properly...always recite the 4 rules of gun safety in your head...forget about hammers, strikers and other such distractions.

I forgot: Always remember...there is no trophy for the one who re-holsters the fastest.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Use a good holster, and practice proper finger control. Unless you get a faulty firearm, then you will never have any issues. I've never had any issues, or concerns, carrying one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCC73 View Post
    All in the comfort level of the individual Ö.I actually carried strikers without one in the chamber for awhile till I gained enough confidence with it. Took about a month to realize it wasn't going Bang till I pulled the trigger !!!! As with ANY other gun---practice safety safety safety !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Like most other guns they will only fire if you pull the trigger(unless itís a 320). Itís Just a matter of getting used to it.
    There's little more to it than that.

It won't go bang until someone or SOMETHING pulls the trigger.

All guns should be treated like a deadly snake. Striker fired guns like Glock etal need to be treated like a deadly snake that is pissed off and wants to bite you.

Every action must be deliberate and every detail must be paid attention to.

The most dangerous part of the striker fired gun tends to be holstering / drawing and poor administrative handling.

Good practices / safe handling tips include having the gun in the holster when putting on the gun. Gun goes unto holster. Holster goes into pants.

Mouth of the holsters should remain open when in pants and gun out of pants.

When holstering into a holster that is being worn, the HOLSTER MUST BE CLEAR OF OBSTRUCTION. Shirt tales, draw strings etc. need to be observed prior to holstering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There's little more to it than that.

It won't go bang until someone or SOMETHING pulls the trigger.

All guns should be treated like a deadly snake. Striker fired guns like Glock etal need to be treated like a deadly snake that is pissed off and wants to bite you.

Every action must be deliberate and every detail must be paid attention to.

The most dangerous part of the striker fired gun tends to be holstering / drawing and poor administrative handling.

Good practices / safe handling tips include having the gun in the holster when putting on the gun. Gun goes unto holster. Holster goes into pants.

Mouth of the holsters should remain open when in pants and gun out of pants.

When holstering into a holster that is being worn, the HOLSTER MUST BE CLEAR OF OBSTRUCTION. Shirt tales, draw strings etc. need to be observed prior to holstering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yes, but this is not specific to striker fired guns.
    We get the government we deserve.

Take a more direct approach. Buy a striker fired gun with a manual safety.
    mmb617, jmf552, Old Man and 4 others like this.

Some striker fired guns do have relatively heavy trigger pull.
    Springfield XD series has a grip safety which can help avoid a ND while holstering the gun.
    SpringerXD, graydude and OlCop like this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

I will carry a striker-fired pistol in a proper holster OWB. But I will only carry DAO or DA/SA pistols IWB, in a pocket holster, or shoulder rig... But that's just me, I suppose.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links