How do you carry your Glock - Page 6

How do you carry your Glock

This is a discussion on How do you carry your Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher You don't think he bears at least some responsiblity for the reception his thread got? I think being civil and respectful ...

View Poll Results: For people who carry Glocks

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry with a round in the chamber ready to shoot

105 94.59%
  • I carry with the chamber empty and have to rack the slide to be ready to shoot

6 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree311Likes

Thread: How do you carry your Glock

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You don't think he bears at least some responsiblity for the reception his thread got?
    I think being civil and respectful are crucial elements of fruitful discourse, perhaps especially so with strangers...although my wife expects much the same and is quick to remind me so.

I carry my Glock 19 inside my safe since I bought by S&W 45.---Sturgis
    M1911A1 and 1MoreFord like this.
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I think being civil and respectful are crucial elements of fruitful discourse, perhaps especially so with strangers...although my wife expects much the same and is quick to remind me so.
    That goes both ways.

I mean, let's be honest. The guy started a thread essentially saying that anybody who carries a Glock with a round in the chamber is.a negligent discharge waiting to happen.

What kind of response should he have expected?
    Bad Bob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

So far, there are 4 people that voted they carry empty chamber but posted no comment supporting their decision.
    Wonder whether the unholstered Glock is shoved in a pocket or their waistband.
    I suppose it (empty chamber Glock) could also be unholstered in their purse.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Chamber ready to use at 3:00 high on my side be it a striker fired or a locked and cocked 1911 or da/sa . Better learn how to draw one handed too as you may need to sweep back family member , push some one aside if need be while you draw .

OH heck even the Israeli's let the troops carry chambered today . Unchambered handgun is a costly rock .
    M1911A1 and Old Man like this.

Nix
    That goes both ways.
    I can only do me, you do you.

I mean, let's be honest. The guy started a thread essentially saying that anybody who carries a Glock with a round in the chamber is.a negligent discharge waiting to happen.

What kind of response should he have expected?

I didn't read it that way at all. I think he was looking to try to incorporate a new sidearm into his routine. I think he had safety concerns about a pistol with a relatively light trigger and no manual safety. I hope we all respect the inherent risk of Glock pistols. I'm happily carrying one today, loaded chamber, but I do recognize it needs to be handled safely.

I can't read his mind and don't know what he expected. I would hope that we as a community could respond to a question about concealed carry and safety in a manner that would be helpful and informative. I would like to think that we'd see a person engaging with us in this way as an opportunity to develop a new ally and consumer. (Sorry if I sound like I'm just using @cal44 for my own interests there; I also like to be helpful to people.)

Communication by brief text messages is fraught with the possibility of misinterpretation. I'm sure many replies were meant to be good natured joking and/or hyperbole used for emphasis. It's quite possible that @cal44 read some responses in an overly defensive manner. But, as I said earlier, I can't control @cal44 or anyone else on the forum. And I struggle to regulate myself at times. So all I've got for ya here is my sense of sadness that we managed to alienate another gun owner, a potential friend, and a potential ally. Kind of a bummer; he seemed OK to me.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    "I didn't read it that way at all. I think he was looking to try to incorporate a new sidearm into his routine. I think he had safety concerns about a pistol with a relatively light trigger and no manual safety. I hope we all respect the inherent risk of Glock pistols. I'm happily carrying one today, loaded chamber, but I do recognize it needs to be handled safely.

I can't read his mind and don't know what he expected. I would hope that we as a community could respond to a question about concealed carry and safety in a manner that would be helpful and informative. I would like to think that we'd see a person engaging with us in this way as an opportunity to develop a new ally and consumer. (Sorry if I sound like I'm just using @cal44 for my own interests there; I also like to be helpful to people.)

Communication by brief text messages is fraught with the possibility of misinterpretation. I'm sure many replies were meant to be good natured joking and/or hyperbole used for emphasis. It's quite possible that @cal44 read some responses in an overly defensive manner. But, as I said earlier, I can't control @cal44 or anyone else on the forum. And I struggle to regulate myself at times. So all I've got for ya here is my sense of sadness that we managed to alienate another gun owner, a potential friend, and a potential ally. Kind of a bummer; he seemed OK to me. " -- @Nix

Agree. Concern about a striker fired pistol w/o a safety is valid, especially for those of us who haven't used them for years like some guys here. As usual here, lots of people responded and "riffed" off each other, giving the thread somewhat of a life of its own. cal44 may have lacked the thick skin sometimes necessary to participate in an online forum like this. This forum is actually a LOT nicer than most, however, imo.
    Nix likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I've never understood the fear of a round in the chamber of a Glock. I'm actually surprised the topic comes up so much.

When I transitioned from a DA Revolver to a Glock for duty use, I never really thought about it. To me, the Glock was pretty much the same thing. Pull the trigger and it goes bang. Don't pull the trigger, and no issues.

I've been carrying Glocks since 1991 in all shapes, calibers, & sizes. For Duty, CCW, Training, & Competition. Not one has ever "just gone off" without me pulling the trigger.

But like all firearms, handle it with care & safety in mind.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Well, I hadn't Everyday Carried a pistol (or revolver except on camp/fish trips) for over 45 years until around 2 years ago. The last time I carried an "automatic" (that's a semi-automatic to you younger or more experienced folk) I was in the Army, striker fired pistols didn't exist, and "automatics" had a safety. Did I worry about a striker fired pistol w/ a round in the chamber when I decided to carry again? Yes. I bought a striker with a manual safety as my first one. I'm not "surprised the topic comes up so much." YMMV.
    Last edited by Wavygravy; November 7th, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Nix
    Discussing firearms safety never seems like a bad idea to me.

Last year we had an ex-Special Forces member have a negligent discharge with a hunting rifle. His buddy was pronounced dead upon the arrival at the ER.

where there is hubris, there is tragedy.

-- Erik Larson

I can't remember how I carried my glock. I sold it 20+ years ago!
    M1911A1 and 1MoreFord like this.

Easy - I don't carry a Glock, and never would.

https://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot....ry-or-why.html

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Every once in a while this topic rises up out of the dirt and rears its ugly head. For the life of me, I cannot imagine anyone being stupid enough to carry a sidearm that is not in full battery. Granted, it is their right to do this if they must, though I can't for the life of me understand their logic and reasoning to do this. Simply put, humans are not in any danger of going extinct so if someone decides to carry in this manner and winds up paying the ultimate price for their ignorance... Oh well. There are plenty of people left to fill that minuscule void.
    Pretty judgmental dud. You are familiar with the term "Israeli carry," right? Different strokes......

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    When I carry a Glock, it is with a round chambered.

IF one chooses not to do such and carry with the chamber empty, I would suggest they not carry a gun.
    There, I fixed it for you.
    OD*, Pete63 and Old Man like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by dlschuelke View Post
    Pretty judgmental dud. You are familiar with the term "Israeli carry," right? Different strokes......
    Do you know the history of Israeli carry? If so then you also realize its fallacy today.
    hardluk1, JD, Nix and 3 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links