Defensive Carry banner

For people who carry Glocks

• I carry with a round in the chamber ready to shoot

Votes: 106 94.6%
  • I carry with the chamber empty and have to rack the slide to be ready to shoot

Votes: 6 5.4%

How do you carry your Glock

8K views 122 replies 64 participants last post by  KCJimmyk 
#1 ·
Those of you that carry Glocks.

Do you carry with a round in the chamber -- ready to shoot?

Or do you carry with chamber empty -- need to rack the slide to be ready to shoot?

I posted a simple poll for this question.

Hopefully only people who carry Glocks will respond to the poll.

Everyone else can post a response if they want.

#3 ·
I carry IWB, round chambered. If you have to chamber a round before you can use your weapon, you may never get the first shot off. Use a good holster that protects the trigger, practice good safe trigger discipline, and stop worrying.

#4 ·
I sometimes carry a G19 with a JM Custom Kydex IWB holster with a round in the chamber. I also carry my G26 usually two days a week in an ankle holster with a round in the chamber.

#5 ·
If you nee to the idea of carrying with a round chambered and it concerns you then try a snap cap for a while and see how often the gun would have fired all by itself. Does help to take away the worrie till you get used to it. And like the fellow said use a good holster that covers and protects the trigger. Don't get a shirt tail mixed up in the trigger when holstering.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

#8 ·
If one is afraid to carry a Glock with a round chambered, or any other make for that matter, then one should not be carrying that firearm.

Or just get over it.

#14 ·
Every once in a while this topic rises up out of the dirt and rears its ugly head. For the life of me, I cannot imagine anyone being stupid enough to carry a sidearm that is not in full battery. Granted, it is their right to do this if they must, though I can't for the life of me understand their logic and reasoning to do this. Simply put, humans are not in any danger of going extinct so if someone decides to carry in this manner and winds up paying the ultimate price for their ignorance... Oh well. There are plenty of people left to fill that minuscule void.

Reactions: kukla and M1911A1
#15 ·
Carrying w/o round chambered

When I carry a Glock, it is with a round chambered.

IF one chooses not to do such and carry with the chamber empty, I would suggest they study the Israeli's IDF training techniques for placing a sidearm into action without a round initially chambered and spend significant training time practicing the techniques needed to chamber quickly.

People in nature Fun Photography

#26 ·
When I carry a Glock, it is with a round chambered.

IF one chooses not to do such and carry with the chamber empty, I would suggest they study the Israeli's IDF training techniques for placing a sidearm into action without a round initially chambered and spend significant training time practicing the techniques needed to chamber quickly.

View attachment 305760
Would love to see them do this after having received a serious blow from a pipe in the upper arm causing a compound fracture. Or perhaps a gunshot destroying their elbow. Yep, that slide racking technique is really going to work wonders with an arm that is functionally useless.

#19 ·
Depending on where/when I go out and what the circumstances are, it could be either

Glock 45 - 1 in the pipe + up to 2 spare magazines (52 rds of 9mm)
Glock 19x - 1 in the pipe + up to 2 spare magazines (56 rds of 9mm)
Glock 30 sf - 1 in the pipe + up to 2 spare Glock 21 magazines (37 rds of .45ACP)

ETA: Mostly carried OWB, but sometimes the 45/19X is IWB. I don't have an IWB holster yet for the 30.

#22 ·
I can control and manipulate time, so I wait until an imminent collision to put my seat belt on, and wait until I need to fire my pistol in self defense, to chamber a round. :rolleyes:

#33 ·
I have seen this video before and it is one great lesson for all of those who may think they can get their out-of-battery sidearm into the fight successfully. For me it's simple. I want the minimum number of impediments in my way between pulling and pulling, i.e. pulling my gun and pulling the trigger. That means no in-the-way clothing, no externally settable safeties to disable, a round in the pipe, and on the target and firing as quickly as I am able to do this. I frankly don't care what others wish to do with their sidearm. That is their business. But I am not able to entertain foolish drivel about how safe it is to carry out of battery. That is nothing less than sheer ignorance and stupidity.

Sorry if that comes across a bit brunt and maybe even brash but think about it. Offer one solid and well-grounded reason to support carrying out of battery.

#30 ·
I carry a Glock 17, 30 and a 48 all with a round chambered. The ONLY way it will fire is if the trigger is pressed. Use a good holster and always be aware of what you are doing especially when reholstering. Also when SHTF you may forget to rack the slide.

#31 ·
I carry Glocks and I carry them chambered. The most likely accidental discharge would seem to be upon holstering the Glock, when strings, clothing. or other items are allowed to snag the trigger on the way into the holster. Work out a safe way to holster/reholster and use a good quality holster and you can feel comfortable enough carrying a Glock with a round chambered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.