What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion?? - Page 4

What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion??

This is a discussion on What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think Kahr's all-SS pistols have any competing pistols currently being manufactured. And I am not seeing many--if any--complaints about the MK9, MK40, K9, ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion??

I don't think Kahr's all-SS pistols have any competing pistols currently being manufactured. And I am not seeing many--if any--complaints about the MK9, MK40, K9, K40, T9, or T40 on the 'net.

I purchased my K9 new, just over a year ago. It has performed excellently. I am very pleased with it. I shoot it a lot (mostly 124 gr. Speer GD +P LE JHP). I have complete trust in my K9, shoot it well, and CC it (OWB, at 9:00).

I have let a couple of people who own polymer Kahr's, shoot my K9, and they all are impressed.

All-SS Kahr is what you want!

ETA: I never "broke-in" my K9. When I received it, I field-stripped it, cleaned & lubed it, and commenced shooting it. And, being left-handed, I have always slingshotted it. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

rx7sig

FWIW
    Last edited by rx7sig; November 17th, 2019 at 06:42 PM.

VIP Member
    Reliability is the first criteria for any weapon. Any weapon that requires "break in rounds" is coming out of the gate with an excuse for being unreliable from the manufacturer. I love my Walthers. My current P99, P99c, and PPS are utterly reliable and a real pleasure to shoot. But it took a LOT to convince me to try a Walther again after a horrible experience with a PPK/S back in the day. Its the weapon that convinced me that spending a dime on a weapon to get it to be reliable was a wasted dime. Sold it to a fellow that was fully informed that it was a jam-o-matic but wanted that 007 gun at a good price. Bottom line, I have never bought a Kahr because so many who own them seem to feel compelled to make excuses for why so many of them just are flat out unreliable.
    Wavygravy and Glocking26 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

So many newbie guns out there, the competition is tough..... Their higher priced handguns seem to be higher quality, but like I say, times are tough, and money is tight...
    G-man* and Rock and Glock like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Over the past 10 years I've had a few Kahrs, off the top of my head I had the PM9, CM9, CM40, maybe PM40 too, CW45 and the CW380. This was back when the newer crop of small pocket 380's and 9's were not around, and they were decent...but not great by any means. There was a design flaw in the CM40 where under recoil, on the next to last round, the barrel unlock and the tip of the feeding ramp would come back against the polymer/plastic magazine follower...basically it kept breaking magazine followers.

I pointed this out to Kahr, who had been sending me extra followers. I'm not real big on the slide stop/release also being the take down lever, this was a problem on the CW380 mainly because it's a very small gun and it was very difficult for my thumb to not accidentally hold it down under recoil, which prevents the slide from locking back. The bigger models weren't so bad but that one was so small that in order for my thumb not to hit it, I had to hold the gun very awkwardly, and ended up getting rid of it.

I don't have any Kahrs and have no intention to buy another. The trigger isn't exactly bad, but it has no short reset and that's a definite deal breaker this day and age.

I have a pm9 that has never malfunctioned. The pm9 and the Ruger LCP are my only pocket carries. I have a glock 43 that has never malfunctioned. I have a shield 40 that has never malfunctioned. I'm lucky I guess.

If I were buying a belt carry, and new to the game, and wanted a 9mm in small size, I think I'd go for a Shield 2.0.

I'm shocked at the sig 365 stories. I'd like to buy one but I'm askeeerd. Don't like havin' to ship guns back and forth to make 'em work.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Every big brand out there has had multiple issues, so forum criticisms of Kahr are not any guide for me.

My PM9, CW45, CW9, and CT380 are all excellent well made & reliable pistols. I’d buy a double stack Kahr 9mm over a Sig 365 if they offered one.
    However, as noted earlier, Kahr has not been innovative at all for several years and is getting left behind by the flood of competition.

Adding a rail and multiple colors is just a dead end way to go.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

I like Kahrs as well (or better) as I do any other gun manufacturer.

I had a CM9 and have a CW380. Both were perfect right from the store shelf. Neither needed any kind of "break in period." I didn't rack the slide a certain number of times or leave the slide open the night before I shot them. I just cleaned and oiled em and shot em. Never a problem with either one. And being a revolver guy, I love a Kahr trigger.

Any gun I buy is going to have to have a "break in period. " I would never trust a carry gun without shooting it at least 200 times. And I would run a box or 2 of my carry ammo to make sure they play well together.

I've had worse luck with Rugers and Smith and Wesson. In fact, I probably won't ever buy another Ruger semiauto.

A recent poll on here says that there are plenty of Kahr guys out there....For me they are about as perfect as it gets.
    They are behind the ball in coming out with new stuff but to me new stuff isn't the same as changing the grip texture
    and the (So called) improved trigger and renaming a gun as a new model which happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This.

Fanbois get all butt hurt when folks with experience tell their stories. I suffered through four Kahrs, of which three had issues. This allowed me to have a phone relationship with one of their head techs. He told me that Kahrs are vulnerable to tolerance stacking, which is why some of their pistols run fine, and others never do.

Knowing this, you would think they would measure the critical dimensions of their parts, and sort and assemble them accordingly. But they don’t. Apparently that takes too much time. So the buyer gets to roll the dice.

Nope. Not me. Too many other choices now in the slim carry pistol class, from makers with less tolerance stacking vulnerabilities, and better warranty coverage.

Fanbois are going to blame the users. Fine. I know better, straight from the horse’s mouth.
    By fanbois you are talking in general across all manufacturers right?....I have never had a problem with Kahr and it wouldn't take 4 of them
    before i moved on
    That is straight from the horses mouth as well....I bet if i slammed on Glock i would get told operator error as well.

I like them but they are not for everybody

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Reliability is the first criteria for any weapon. Any weapon that requires "break in rounds" is coming out of the gate with an excuse for being unreliable from the manufacturer. I love my Walthers. My current P99, P99c, and PPS are utterly reliable and a real pleasure to shoot. But it took a LOT to convince me to try a Walther again after a horrible experience with a PPK/S back in the day. Its the weapon that convinced me that spending a dime on a weapon to get it to be reliable was a wasted dime. Sold it to a fellow that was fully informed that it was a jam-o-matic but wanted that 007 gun at a good price. Bottom line, I have never bought a Kahr because so many who own them seem to feel compelled to make excuses for why so many of them just are flat out unreliable.
    My PPS is my 2nd choice...great gun...My CM9 wins out in size and is lighter
    ETXhiker likes this.

In case you didn't all know...I love em

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    By fanbois you are talking in general across all manufacturers right?....I have never had a problem with Kahr and it wouldn't take 4 of them
    before i moved on
    That is straight from the horses mouth as well....I bet if i slammed on Glock i would get told operator error as well.

I like them but they are not for everybody
    I run Glocks and Rugers. Any issues were fixed, for free. I’ve never claimed they’re perfect.

I tried to get Kahr to work due to my NPE at work. As said, at one time they were the only game in town.

Glad yours work. But the issue with tolerance stacking and their sub par warranty coverage is not an opinion. It is a fact.
    G-man*, Wavygravy, seery and 1 others like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I like Kahrs as well (or better) as I do any other gun manufacturer.

I had a CM9 and have a CW380. Both were perfect right from the store shelf. Neither needed any kind of "break in period." I didn't rack the slide a certain number of times or leave the slide open the night before I shot them. I just cleaned and oiled em and shot em. Never a problem with either one. And being a revolver guy, I love a Kahr trigger.

Any gun I buy is going to have to have a "break in period. " I would never trust a carry gun without shooting it at least 200 times. And I would run a box or 2 of my carry ammo to make sure they play well together.

I've had worse luck with Rugers and Smith and Wesson. In fact, I probably won't ever buy another Ruger semiauto.
    I am right there with ya....
    Rather you have good luck with Kahr or bad luck...Make no difference to me...I have had good luck.
    They all turn out crap in some form or another....You are a perfect example...You had worse luck with Ruger and Smith.
    The break in period is a another never ending debate....I take it you aren't in the 1 magazine and expect all is good crowd.

There is a reason i ended up liking Kahr best....Maybe just maybe i had problems with other brands
    until i stumbled onto Kahr....And yes i love the Kahr triggers as well
    Marc_Brooks and glock19er like this.

I have had a PM9 for many years. When I bought it it was a uniquely small 9mm. It was always a compromise since I could not sling shot it without getting a jam (I finally solved that with aftermarket magazine followers). Since I rarely pocket carry, the Kahr became a safe queen (except for winter parka weather) when I bought I Walther PPS. Now that I have a Sig 365 XL, I could never see myself buying another Kahr and I should prabably sell the PPS since the 365XL is the same size as the PPS. Kahr let everyone else lap them around the innovation track.....and you still cannot sling shot without replacing the mag followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    In case you didn't all know...I love em
    A true fanboy to the end....:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links