What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion?? - Page 7

What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion??

This is a discussion on What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to see Kahr come out with a single stack handgun with no manual safety and a DAO trigger...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: What is happening to Kahr? Are they fading away into oblivion??

I would like to see Kahr come out with a single stack handgun with no manual safety and a DAO trigger
    rx7sig and zonker1986 like this.

I like Kahrs, but unfortunately so does my oldest son. He now owns the early PM9.

What is happening to Kahr?  Are they fading away into oblivion??-6989e42b-8b9a-491d-aee4-4d9a8bff6972.jpeg
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Not sure why the original post, thought Kahr was slipping into the dark recesses of firearms, but they still build excellent firearms. Well, at least they did when I bought mine about 9 years back. Both of them have been flawless, and are two of the the most accurate shooters I have (if not the best); that is of course in the semi-auto realm of handguns. Don't know of anything I've owned or shot that is more accurate than some of the revolvers I've shot. My Kahr MK40 (yep, steel concealed carry low capacity model) is quite awesome; I actually like it better than the slightly larger K9 that I own. Never owned a polymer Kahr, and I don't much care for polymer handguns, or rifles for that matter. Attachment 307102
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is happening to Kahr?  Are they fading away into oblivion??-1.jpg  

Last edited by SmitKoWitz; November 21st, 2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Picture

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

When I was choosing my first 9mm, Kahr didn't come to finals. Too tight recoil spring. No, I am not a weak person, but that tightness in addition to inconvenience leads to malfunction if limpwristing. But before I got the first 9mm, all striker fired were out of consideration either. I watched HK torture test, that made me hammer fired only guy.
    I have several pieces since, hammer fired all, and carefully selected. Neither of them (except .380 seecamp) fails when I limpwristing. No, I can have tight grip, but you never know what you actually will be capable of doing when things are for real. You may be crippled in struggle before you need taht shot.
    Last edited by gunenthusiast; November 22nd, 2019 at 07:38 PM.

Nothing wrong with a Kahr. I have several and haven't had any problems with them. The biggest "problem" is that new owners fail to follow the break-in process of running about 200 rounds through a brand-new one, and then (of course) blame the gun.
    ETXhiker and Texron like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetCpl View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Kahr. I have several and haven't had any problems with them. The biggest "problem" is that new owners fail to follow the break-in process of running about 200 rounds through a brand-new one, and then (of course) blame the gun.
    Thanks for setting us straight. We can all go home now, he has spoken.
    forester58, hfjeff and 10thmtn like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

With todays precision available in CNC processing, there should be no break-in process that requires shooting that many rounds through any new firearm. Sure, some rounds, 10-15, may be needed to smooth out the initial roughness of the CNC process, but nowhere near 200 rounds. That's bad QC tolerances. Even back before the CNC improvements, that number was on the high end of a break-in routine.

This isn't 15+ years ago, the technology being used in manufacturing has improved drastically. The precision comes from how exact the computers running the CNC machines can get today. The big breakthrough to increase precision for the CNC industry came in the late 90s. It took time to verify the technology was good, and to start replacing the older tried and true machines in use for many manufacturing plants. Clearly, most manufacturers in the firearms field, are using the newer equipment to make the components they use in firearms. The base quality of functionality has improved drastically. Even with Ruger's recent design SNAFU of some of their revolvers was impressive in how accurate the production issues were. That situation showed how being precise on the design side matters more now than it did before.

My new X-Bolt was dead on with me firing no shots through it, as have been my various other handguns. Even my cheap Savage Axis rifle I bought five years ago was accurate brand new.

Kahr could have the same end result too, they are literally choosing not to. They need to re-invest in their manufacturing process to up their overall quality.

Nothing wrong with a Kahr.
    Statistics will disagree.

The numbers of departments in the US that authorize the Kahr for carry is very close to ZERO.

What does that tell you?
    10thmtn and Wavygravy like this.

Iíll chime in. Iíve owned 6 Kahrs (still have 3).

4 were perfect right out of the box.

1 needed some break in. The barrel in my P9 fit very tight and it locked up a few times in the first 200 rounds. The last 500 have been flawless.

1 was a dud. CW380 a few years ago. Sent it back to Kahr. Came back better but still not reliable enough.

Given that all manufacturers have reliability issues Iím okay with Kahrís reliability.

I do agree that they havenít innovated at all in recent years and as a result they risk being left behind.
    ETXhiker, Wavygravy and Texron like this.

Whats going on with them? Nothing. Not much new from them in a world that is full of micro carry guns now. Its a hard sell to the average gun toter why they should buy a niche Kahr when another brand will do the job just the same at half the price.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Whats going on with them? Nothing. Not much new from them in a world that is full of micro carry guns now. Its a hard sell to the average gun toter why they should buy a niche Kahr when another brand will do the job just the same at half the price.
    ^^^ There it is as far as I'm concerned. To each his dagnabbed own. I'm good without a Kahr.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I had a CM9 and had no issues, the finish work on the inside was not that great. It never jammed but the trigger was horrible, and it went like back and almost touched the frame...just could not get past that so I sold it off. I think that there are better choices out there.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    Statistics will disagree.

The numbers of departments in the US that authorize the Kahr for carry is very close to ZERO.

What does that tell you?
    Umm, how many departments authorize the carry of Ruger handguns (Ruger doesn't court the LEO market)?

The 43x is probably the closest substitute for the CW9 I wished I had kept. But S&W sure is making it hard to justify when I can get 2 Shields with rebates for the price of 1-43x. I like the longer grip of the CW9 and 43x and both are under 19 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    With todays precision available in CNC processing, there should be no break-in process that requires shooting that many rounds through any new firearm. Sure, some rounds, 10-15, may be needed to smooth out the initial roughness of the CNC process, but nowhere near 200 rounds. That's bad QC tolerances. Even back before the CNC improvements, that number was on the high end of a break-in routine.

This isn't 15+ years ago, the technology being used in manufacturing has improved drastically. The precision comes from how exact the computers running the CNC machines can get today. The big breakthrough to increase precision for the CNC industry came in the late 90s. It took time to verify the technology was good, and to start replacing the older tried and true machines in use for many manufacturing plants. Clearly, most manufacturers in the firearms field, are using the newer equipment to make the components they use in firearms. The base quality of functionality has improved drastically. Even with Ruger's recent design SNAFU of some of their revolvers was impressive in how accurate the production issues were. That situation showed how being precise on the design side matters more now than it did before.

My new X-Bolt was dead on with me firing no shots through it, as have been my various other handguns. Even my cheap Savage Axis rifle I bought five years ago was accurate brand new.

Kahr could have the same end result too, they are literally choosing not to. They need to re-invest in their manufacturing process to up their overall quality.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links