Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts? - Page 3

Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A nice thing about the Bond Arms guns is that you can convert them to different calibers easily. So I can see a role for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts?

A nice thing about the Bond Arms guns is that you can convert them to different calibers easily. So I can see a role for them in a survival situation.

Otherwise they are heavy for what they are. Which isn’t a bad thing if you want to shoot more energetic rounds.
    viney266, msgt/ret and CDRGlock like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    At one time derringers had their place but myself I prefer something with more than two shots.

Attachment 306762
    ^^^ That's how I feel about derringers 100%. I own a few as novelties, but when I can carry a pocket 380 with 7 rounds for the same (or less) weight and space? it's a no brainer.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    I've got a NAA .22LR and a Seecamp .32acp. Both will disappear with minimal effort.

Unless you run across a good deal Seecamps are a bit pricey.

I don't know if this still works but when I bought my Seecamp wholesale on them was about 1/3 of retail. If you knew a friendly FFL and were patient you could get one for a great price.

A couple of friends and I were traveling to a large IPSC/USPSA match. The guy whose Suburban we were traveling in was a medical manufacturers rep. He allowed as how he liked to have a pistol with him when he was traveling but he didn't have anything he could carry all the time and had recently had his Suburban broken into and had his Commander stolen. He was in doctor's offices regularly and was in and out of his suit coat regularly. He even had to get out of his steet clothes and dress in scrubs so he could teach doctors how to use his orthopedic devices.

Our other friend reached into his pocket and produced a .25 Seecamp and I did the same but produced my NAA .22LR. I've never seen a more surprised look on anyone's face when he saw our handguns. The sales rep was a kitchen table FFL too and said he thought he'd order one of the then new .32 Seecamps. I got him to order one for me too. We put down our $25 deposit and waited for it to ship. We wound up with our Seecamps for a little over $300 including a spare mag and pocket holster. This was when they were going for about $750 for the gun only through dealers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

When wearing my Wyoming conceal carry black leather vest, I always put my Bond Arms Snake Slayer in one of the inside pockets. Sometimes I put the S&W 642 in the other inside pocket. When carrying my regular EDC IWB, that means I have 3 guns on that day. Not a normal thing, but sometimes.

Joe
    CDRGlock likes this.

Howdy!

I have a Bond Arms I carry as a snake gun loaded with 410 shells around my property. I carry a NAA Pug 22mag as a backup/secondary to my Sig P365.

“Happy Trails”
    Chiefneon
    CDRGlock likes this.

I have 2 NAAs that I carry in coat pockets during the fall and winter. I always have another gun on my hip when I carry them. They're just a stopgap until I can get at my other weapon.
    CDRGlock likes this.

Not the best choices today for sure but I'm all for having options. Not everyone is able to rush out and buy the latest and greatest and they may have inherited an NAA or Derringer and they ought to be able to make the best of it.

Also, some people may have a need to carry something as discreet as possible and I can't think of anything better that can actually be concealed carried in a pair of swim trunks than an NAA mini-revolver.

Sure, there are silly "pen" guns and "credit card" guns and the like out there but lets be honest, an NAA mini-revolver is the smallest, most reliable and effective firearm in this size that an average person can reasonably use and carry.
    CDRGlock and Texron like this.

OP found a way to make me say something I never thought I would say, ...
    "I'd rather have a LCP 380"
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Fraime View Post
    Not the best choices today for sure but I'm all for having options. Not everyone is able to rush out and buy the latest and greatest and they may have inherited an NAA or Derringer and they ought to be able to make the best of it.

Also, some people may have a need to carry something as discreet as possible and I can't think of anything better that can actually be concealed carried in a pair of swim trunks than an NAA mini-revolver.

Sure, there are silly "pen" guns and "credit card" guns and the like out there but lets be honest, an NAA mini-revolver is the smallest, most reliable and effective firearm in this size that an average person can reasonably use and carry.
    I have carried two North American Arms where I couldn’t carry anything else.

Who knows? Maybe the combo of my 2 North American Arms and one derringer is not too bad of an option. #3guncarry #carolinareload

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD
    Texron likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    OP found a way to make me say something I never thought I would say, ...
    "I'd rather have a LCP 380"
    Now your talking crazy

I had hoped the Double Tap derringer would have had good reviews. It seemed like an ideal design for that kind of gun. But I have heard more negative than good about them and never seen one at a gun store.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I tried a derringer years ago and gave it to a daughter to keep snake shot in when around her new property . There to small for my hands to handle quickly and to slow to cock to fire the first round , slower for the second round to and they heavier than many small pistols and revolvers .

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurgeMan View Post
    Fairly certain with the NAA is better for you to carry some round noses in it instead of hollow points, because a .22 out of a pistol wont get any expansion at all. Nice guns however, I heard of someone using a NAA as a "swimsuit gun" because it was stainless steel and they didn't worry about it getting wet, but that seems a little too far fetched for me.
    .22 Magnum (what is pictured) will expand, actually. In fact, Hornady, Speer, and Winchester have made short-barrel .22 WMR loads in the premium bullet lines, those being Critical Defense, Gold Dot, and PDX1, respectively. All of these loads have shown in tests to reliably expand and get adequate (12”+) penetration.

If it were .22LR, however...I’d agree completely with you.

And, since I carry my .22WMR NAA from time to time when covert carry is the name of the game, I think it fills that role quite well.
    Last edited by Cuda66; November 19th, 2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Texron and CDRGlock like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I have carried two North American Arms where I couldn’t carry anything else.

Who knows? Maybe the combo of my 2 North American Arms and one derringer is not too bad of an option.
    I dual pocket carry a pair of LCPs in NPEs, and when I want to tuck my shirt in and look presentable.

I find it easier to carry multiple smaller sidearms than even just one larger one. Two is one, one is none.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Pass

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links